So this happened recently..... (And some history!)

So to those of you who know me... hello! To those of you who don't - a little background first!!

I use to own a mk1 Fabia VRS, I had it for just over 4 years and loved it, but I had to move onto a bigger car due to my family.

Here is the car when I bought it back in 2008

30112008056.jpg

And now this is how we bought it back recently (my friend Matt has put up the £££ for it & will be his daily as of next weekend)

IMG_20160817_184058_zpsbsdrfyma.jpg

IMG_20160818_103744_zpslzzzkomr.jpg

IMG_20160818_103815_zpsfowofwpu.jpg

It should be MOT'd by the end of the week - Matt has already got another set of TT Comps lined up for it whe he gets it home. He's flying up from Canterbury next weekend to collect it. In the mean time I'm going to get a few bits and pieces sorted on it (bumpers need realigned, doesn't look like it's had a wash/polish in 4 years. But it's nice to see it back with someone I know!!)

• Like 1

What did they do to that poor car?

It looks very much like someone didn't love it. That's a real shame.

Never mind, good to see you back!

He had owned it for 4 years since I owned it. Used it to commute from Edinburgh to Cambridge..... Then the mot had run out and he had just left it at the side of the road where it had been hit by someone in the drivers side quarter panel. Luckily the bumper took the brunt of it and the mark on the quarter is just a scratch/paint transfer.

Matt, the new owner is one of my best mates and I basically called him up and told him to buy it! I knew he needed a diesel daily with a few mods, this is ideal! Plus I get to drive it again & Matt will enjoy it just as much as I did!!

I'll post up more pictures once it's collected from the garage & it's been washed and waxed!!

• Like 2

What did they do to that poor car?

It looks very much like someone didn't love it. That's a real shame.

Never mind, good to see you back!

Aside from the tap on the RH quarter, the obvious cosmetics are paint flaking on a blackout grille surround.

New bumper mount fitted & rear bumper heat gunned back into shape.

Passed its MOT, with rear callipers as advisories.

Gearbox was creeping in gear with clutch down. A £4 spacer in the main shaft bearing fixed the issue! Ready to go to its new home on Sunday - if we can get the paperwork from the previous owner to tax it!!!

Ok so we now have an MOT's car!! New rear bumper bracket in place & both bumpers realigned. Even managed to get the 1/4 panel polished to remove most of the paint transfer!!

Gearbox threw up a few issues - it's got a Jabbasport 6kg fly wheel & Sachs performance clutch. The car kept creeping while in gear & foot flat on the floor with the clutch. Changed the fluid, no change. Change the clutch master cylinder, no change. Garage thought it was the clutch itself or the slave.... But I wasn't convinced!! So I did a bit of research and apparently it's quite common in these 6speed manuals for the main shaft bearing to float at the end of the first motion shaft & cause clutch drag.... Part number found for a genuine VW shim (!) at £4 & a new bearing cover for £3. Take off old cover, remove circlip, put in spacer, replace circlip, put on new cover. 10 minutes tops. Gearbox fixed - no longer creeps!!

I'll post up a link in a minute to the how to page along with the part numbers if anyone else has the same issue!

• Like 2

It's incredible what a bit of mechanical know-how and some TLC can do. I'm delighted that the car is back in the hands of someone who will look after it.

So he left just after 3pm, called me from the next village along "the radio just stopped" - so drove out to him. Checked his fuses. Found the rear wiper fuse blown. But Radio fuse (45) was fine, power to perminant live, but no switched. So just rigged the radio to be on perminant live until he had some time to trace the switched live to the fuse box. Then on the way down the road it kept blowing the top boost pipe off every 150 miles or so...

Heater flaps are stuck on full hot. (It had a new motor when I had it, just never got the flaps reset!) so hopefully all and easy fix!

I'm sure Matt will join soon to fill you in with its progress