Leather car seat care

Evening all, having picked up my first ever Skoda yesterday (Superb Sel Executive) and absolutely chuffed with it. I was wondering what products are best to keep the leather seats in prime condition. I've read that because modern day car seat leathers are already protected, they just need cleaning as opposed to conditioning or both.

The Superb was a 16 plate demonstrator before I had it and so done some miles already. So any suggestions or advice on whether a cleaner will suffice, conditioner or both. Many thanks.

My second leather seated Superb. Never done more than a damp cloth as advised to clean from time to time. Current car has beige which should show up dirt and even the only once in nine months. I do have some leather wipes which impregnate something and will use them once a year or so. A dealer (for another prestige brand) once told me that's all that is needed, pointing out that unlike shoes (for example) you're on the outside of the leather and constantly rubbing and polishing it. Beware sharp items such as metal jeans badges which may scratch though.

I've used no more than a damp cloth every couple of weeks on my last two Superbs, both will ivory leather and that's all it needs really.  I spend a lot of time in the car and the seats are fine.

Edited by Superb170

I mostly agree with the above, but would add a couple of provisos:

1) You can't 'impregnate' a sealed surface, in this case sealed leather. All you're doing is adding to the oil layer on the top, which attracts yet more oil and dirt.

2) Talking of that greasy top layer (body oils, sweat, dirt), water alone won't cut through it. Think about when you wash a greasy pan by hand - a pinprick of Fairy (other brands are available :D) would cut right through it where even scalding water fails.

With that in mind, I tend to wipe down our seats once a week with a clean microfibre cloth that's been lightly spritzed with Meguiar's Leather & Vinyl cleaner. Sometimes I'll use APC (all purpose cleaner, such as Gtechniq's citrus degreasing APC) instead, at a weak dilution. That's about all you need, but remember with sealed leather (and vinyl, as Skoda seats are mostly vinyl not real leather - sealed or otherwise) you're looking to take away (grease) not add ('feed'). :thumbup:

• Like 2