Which Fabia to choose - Advice please

Masi

Hi forum, 

Am having difficulty chosing an fabia to buy, my use will be commuting to university and back around 40 miles a days. It will consist of 40% country road (50mph) 30% Motorway 70 mph and city driving 30%

My current options: 

1.2 TDI Greenline 2

1.4 TDI Greenline 1 

1.4 TDI or 1.6 TDI 

Polo 1.2 or 1.4 Bluemotion

Renault Megane 1.5 dCi

Am currently leaning towards the fabia hence asking for advice here. I want to go for the 1.2 TDI the spoiler at the back is really ugly, can ii change it to a normal fiba spoiler?

Also the REAL MPH of the car from onest jonhs place it neck and neck even though the greenline 2 is supposed to be far better. 

Please can somone comfirm real mpgh for greenline 2 and greenline 1 and the normal 1.4 and 1.6 whatever infomation you have is really appreciated. 

Is there a reason not just to get a 1.2 TSI and require 1 gallon of petrol a day or less.

Or do you have the need to sound like you are driving a taxi?

It is the 'simply clever' choice.

• Like 1

Is there a reason not just to get a 1.2 TSI and require 1 gallon of petrol a day or less.

Or do you have the need to sound like you are driving a taxi?

It is the 'simply clever' choice.

i currently have petrol, and the have to rev it high to get anywhere also low pulling power

i currently have petrol, and the have to rev it high to get anywhere also low pulling power

1.2 TSI 105 BHP is a great little engine. I thrash mine round on part country roads and part motorway all the time and it returns 40 MPG, pushing it really hard takes it down to 37. The driving you will be doing with it should give well over 40.

Don't think the ceed petrol is a patch on a Fabia tsi but your daily mileage warrents a diesel, however don't dismiss the petrol out of hand give it a test drive, it ought to be cheaper to buy a petrol like for like, mileage and year against a diesel

The TSI petrol engines (1.2 4 cylinder) are terrific engines. They produce maximum torque at very low revs 1550rpm for the 105ps engine, and at 1400rpm for the 110ps engine. In other words, they drive like a diesel but produce more power at the higher end of the rev scale too. I'd go for a petrol engine, and indeed I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new 110ps engined estate. By the way, I've been mostly a diesel head most of my life, but times have changed. The petrols are so good now and nearly as economical as the diesels and cheaper to buy. Good luck with whatever you choose.

• Like 1

i believe some of the the 1.2TDI's were caught in the dieselgate scandal,

I used to do a similar commute to you with my old GLII and used to get low / mid 60's mpg, daughter does similar journey with fabia monte carlo 1.6 tdi and gets mid 50's mpg

I now drive a 1.2 84ps petrol i20 and currently getting mid 50's / los 60's mpg (admittedly longer runs than you) but this shows how tech of petrols is catching diesels especially when you take into effect all the issues with DPF's and EGR valves

I too like gonoffski would lean towards one of the smaller TSi engines, cheaper to buy, slightly more expensive on fuel but no EGR at the back of the engine that's a pain in the rear (and expensive )to fix if it goes wrong

the GLII is quite noisy from cold and over 3000 rpm,

if you are looking at a 3 year old car on hp / loan have a look at the costs of a new one on PCP not to much difference and you get all the warranty, road side assist etc and some good deals at the moment and the option of variable service which with the mileage you are doing would also lower the TCO of the car

currently the offer on  a new fabia

Available with 0% APR and £500 towa​rds your finance deposit with a Solutions PCP#. Plus £500 of free fuel** when you order before 30 September

http://www.skoda.co.uk/tools/finance-calculator/default/

currently on PCP a fabia III 1.2 SE TSi 20,000 miles / year over 42 months and only a £500 deposit from you(min most dealers accept to order the car) and the £500 from skoda is coming out at about £195/month for 90PS and £205/month for 110PS

So, I've bought a GL2 at Christmas, and I'm enjoying it very much.

Yes the spoiler on the hatch is pretty ugly, so I bought an estate. Standard equipment level is good, I like the cruise control, hill hold, auto stop start, rear discs ....

Have gotten 80mpg out of it several times on long trips, eg Luton Airport -> Norwich and it cruises along quite happily.

Tax is free .... Around here diesel is still a little cheaper than petrol right now.

Cheers, Sam

I've had the 1.6TDi (2011), and am now on the 1.2 TSi (2014) - both estates.

Was getting 55mpg with the diesel and seem to be getting 45 with the TSi although I'm more in town now.

I had issues with the EGR valve with the 1.6 and ongoing sensor problems so I changed it as I'd lost faith in.  Both are lovely cars although I'd likely not go for a diesel again it was refined to drive and comfortable, but just don't trust the design now.  There are some great deals on the Mk2, the estate is better looking imo, and isn't a big car.

If you're not fixed on a diesel I'd get some test drives in, just so you know the difference in how they feel.

Good luck with whichever you pick! 

Edited by jme808

Your UNI & City wont thank you for driving a dirty , rattly , carciogenic diesel .  ( I don't think they will be with us much longer ) . So a  105 Bhp petrol sound about the sensible choice !!

The TSI petrol engines (1.2 4 cylinder) are terrific engines. They produce maximum torque at very low revs 1550rpm for the 105ps engine, and at 1400rpm for the 110ps engine. In other words, they drive like a diesel but produce more power at the higher end of the rev scale too. I'd go for a petrol engine, and indeed I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new 110ps engined estate. By the way, I've been mostly a diesel head most of my life, but times have changed. The petrols are so good now and nearly as economical as the diesels and cheaper to buy. Good luck with whatever you choose.

^^This^^

I had owned diesels exclusively for 20 years, but last year had to change to 1.2TSI as I needed DSG.  I found the 1.2TSI a revelation.  It is quiet and refined, yet almost diesel-like in terms of power, torque and fuel consumption - and with no DPF to worry about.  My next car (either a Fab estate or a Yeti) will also be a 1.2TSI.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

Edit - spellink

Edited by Robjon
  • Like 2

Just ordered my new Fabia Mk3 TSI 110 DSG. But the hatch this time as the boot is bigger on the new ones compared to the Mk 2 hatches making the need for an estate redundant. Agree with you Robjon about being diesel like to drive in some respects. Sorry to op about going slightly off topic. Any of the diesels are ok and you won't go wrong. But they are not so good on shorter runs as they don't warm up quite so quickly as the petrol engines.

Edited by Estate Man

• 2 months later...

Daughter is buying a GLII estate, I'm looking forward to driving it to compare with the TSI.

I have a 2014 TSI 105. Gently driven since brand new, its just had a new turbo at 25k  :(.  I'm no fan of diesels but if the petrol turbo's don't have the longevity I may reconsider.

Are failures of the turbo on a euro 5 emissions 1.2 tsi a common thing? 

I have not seen many comment on that in the various forums in Briskoda for the Fabia, Yeti, Rapid, Octavia or Superb.  There was the TPI for actions on shims.

The 1.2 tdi Greenline 2 is painfully slow, that's from someone who drove a mk1 sdi for years, and I found it a very strange drive. I now have a 1.6 TDI CR which I like immensely, got a decent amount of guts in the right places.