Excitement lost on new Yeti, thanks Skoda!

decuk

A large choice adds to costs and ever increasing competition means all sorts of cost cutting.

As per post #8 above the choice is there for some countries but not for others.  So in the UK it must be Skoda UK that has taken that decision. 

• Like 1

This is the identical story on the SeatAteca forum I follow, lack of colours particularly bright colours. The additional comments are that the colours offered are the same or similar to some of the VW/ Skoda colours. New colours for Seat are, Jungle Green, Lava Blue, Mato Brown, Rodium Grey and Samoa Orange. Mediterranean Blue?

No, not Samoa Orange!

I suspect that as all UK cars are right hand drive, that the colour choice is less because of volume of cars being produced on this line? I suspect that cars are painted in batches so smaller colour choice will get them built quicker.

Just a theory, but agree that the smaller colour choice could still include one or two brighter colours.

I suspect that as all UK cars are right hand drive, that the colour choice is less because of volume of cars being produced on this line? I suspect that cars are painted in batches so smaller colour choice will get them built quicker.

Just a theory, but agree that the smaller colour choice could still include one or two brighter colours.

I saw something on a BBC programme recently at a car manufactures, can not remember which, and they painted different colours one after the other, no batches, automatically cleaning the guns etc., on the fly. It was all programmed into the manufacturing system that got all the parts to the right places at the right time, including the body colour.

I saw something on a BBC programme recently at a car manufactures, can not remember which, and they painted different colours one after the other, no batches, automatically cleaning the guns etc., on the fly. It was all programmed into the manufacturing system that got all the parts to the right places at the right time, including the body colour.

It was the mini production line. Every car in the line was different, I.e different colours, specs., engines, etc.etc. The computer system delivers the correct part to the assembler as it arrives. It was extremely impressive but what was more impressive were the quality control measures they undertook with every vehicle built. I'm sure that system is not restricted to BMW group vehicles. Whether or not VW use it I don't know.

It was the mini production line. Every car in the line was different, I.e different colours, specs., engines, etc.etc. The computer system delivers the correct part to the assembler as it arrives. It was extremely impressive but what was more impressive were the quality control measures they undertook with every vehicle built. I'm sure that system is not restricted to BMW group vehicles. Whether or not VW use it I don't know.

Yep your right, James May et al. It was good as you say including the test track on the roof. Agreed I'm not sure that Skoda do similar testing otherwise the early cars would not have been released with so many noises, creaks etc.

I can sleep now I know which show it was, thanks. Otherwise it drives me mad trying to remember.

I remember the Mini production line being shown by James May ..........not too sure about the Mini's reputation for post production issues though.

I remember the Mini production line being shown by James May ..........not too sure about the Mini's reputation for post production issues though.

Agreed although my daughter-in-law is on her second and so far they have been excellent in that respect.  I'm always surprised just how much they seem to cram into this car when it comes to holidays, three up, and loads of kit. The dealership she uses has been excellent when it comes to fitting in services and the like around her nursery job and school runs, so all in all she is very happy. (got a great deal on the second Mini - Park Lane version)

Agreed although my daughter-in-law is on her second and so far they have been excellent in that respect.  I'm always surprised just how much they seem to cram into this car when it comes to holidays, three up, and loads of kit. The dealership she uses has been excellent when it comes to fitting in services and the like around her nursery job and school runs, so all in all she is very happy. (got a great deal on the second Mini - Park Lane version)

My daughter-in-law is also on her 2nd brand new mini (PCH) and has had nothing go wrong on either of them.  Excellent cars.  I think that people still think of the original mini in terms of size, whereas in fact they are now very significantly bigger.

My wife is on her third Mini, 2 Coopers and now a Cooper S. First one a 6 month old ex. BMW employee car and then two new.

Cooper S is the nicest to drive but has been the most trouble, which is surprising as it was the early ones which had some issues.

Like some other German manufacturer they can have timing chain Issues!

Edited by VAGCF

I drove past a large BMW dealer yesterday.

It was like looking at a black and white photograph.

Out of 50/60 cars only 3 were a rather dull blue.

All the rest were black or white.

Funny you should say that. Whilst out with mate over the weekend, slowly passing a BMW dealer in traffic we both glanced across the forecourt, neither of us particularly inspired by the view.

Turning his attention back to the road ahead, straight faced he said "Fifty shades of grey"

'nuff said and echoed in the comments above.

Edited by Citigopher

I was in the huge Costco car park the other day and it struck me that my Moon white Yeti with a black roof, really stood out.    Makes it easy to find. :clap:

All the others looked so dull.  By the way, it desperately needs a wash and yet still stood out.  Go white!

Edited by twoladies

Funny you should say that. Whilst out with mate over the weekend, slowly passing a BMW dealer in traffic we both glanced across the forecourt, neither of us particularly inspired by the view.

Turning his attention back to the road ahead, straight faced he said "Fifty shades of grey"

'nuff said and echoed in the comments above.

I pass an Aston Martin dealer on my way to work and it's just the same.

got a Ferrari dealer just down from my Hyundai dealer, same there except very little except red :)

Theres a surprise then!! ; - D)

There is a chap locally with a silver Ferrari, so they aren't all red.