De-Tuning!

Hi everyone,

I've recently picked up a Mk1 Fabia VRS with a GTB 2260 (I think!).  Car is running approx 250bhp.  TBH its not quite how I like it - never thought I would say that - always more power the better!  But thing is I have a BMW running 350BHP and what I like is that the power is there if I want it, but if I want I can run around very 'docile'.

Obviously I don't expect this from the Fabia, but my thinking is if I run a smaller (PD150?) turbo I'm thinking the car will be more driveable on normal roads.  (at least my previous leon used to be!)

I don't want to plough loads of money in (whoever does!) as this is supposed to be just a little toy for me to look after - so I suppose I'm looking to swap my turbo (which has been recently rebuilt) for a PD150 unit one.  A comfortable 200bhp would be fine.  I'm thinking manifolds would be the only other item needing to go with the turbo?

Whats peoples thoughts?  Would anyone be interested in a swap - would need to be for a young turbo or one recently rebuilt.  Im not sure how the logistics would work at this point - just wandering if anyone would be interested?

This is after I have someone look at the Kw3 coilovers - I want more comfort!

Thoughts?

Sounds like you'd have been better off buying a standard car than a fairly heavily modified one?!

Yes mate - though I got it for a reasonable price and it has got brakes, FMIC done and its low mileage and near mint - I suppose I expect too much!

Where are you based?

As for the KW's, I have V1's and they are awesom... all I need for the road. IMO I wouldn't waste the extra ~£300 it would cost to go to V3's :)

Im based in Huddersfield.  Just hope raising the height will make the car more forgiving on UK roads!

Im based in Huddersfield. Just hope raising the height will make the car more forgiving on UK roads!

Have to already got the V3's on then? If if so, ot may he that the previous owner set the dampening harder than you like and could just need a adjustment?

When I first had V1's (they were second hand but bough brand new after a few months) they were right down to the bottom but we're still fairly comfortable....

With that sort of power, I think you'd need a new map and possibly new injectors as well as a new turbo to get the base power back down. Alternatively you could get a more linear "throttle opening vs injector duty" map; some standard VAG maps for those parameters give 50% opening => 90% duty!!

Have to already got the V3's on then? If if so, ot may he that the previous owner set the dampening harder than you like and could just need a adjustment?

When I first had V1's (they were second hand but bough brand new after a few months) they were right down to the bottom but we're still fairly comfortable....

Yes mate they're already on.  They're not horrendous, but if your on a less than perfect road you have to be careful.  I'm going to try to get to the garage next week hopefully.

With that sort of power, I think you'd need a new map and possibly new injectors as well as a new turbo to get the base power back down. Alternatively you could get a more linear "throttle opening vs injector duty" map; some standard VAG maps for those parameters give 50% opening => 90% duty!!

Ken, you've touched on what was going to be my next issue - the car has +50% injectors and another reason I'm wanting a smaller turbo is that I can turn down the fuelling with a more appropriate map - and lose the black smoke of death I leave behind!

Do you think a suitable map would overcome this issue (i.e. lose the black cloud out of the back and enable the car to be driven sensibly without the fear of sooting up the engine) or would a revert to standard injectors be required?

Ken, you've touched on what was going to be my next issue - the car has +50% injectors and another reason I'm wanting a smaller turbo is that I can turn down the fuelling with a more appropriate map - and lose the black smoke of death I leave behind!

Do you think a suitable map would overcome this issue (i.e. lose the black cloud out of the back and enable the car to be driven sensibly without the fear of sooting up the engine) or would a revert to standard injectors be required?

Well, you've already told me that you could get the fuelling (and hence power) turned back a bit with the big turbo. Well-bred maps don't black smoke (which is a sign that you're over-fuelling and running a diesel lean).

Whereabouts are you? (town or county is adequate) We may know someone who could help.

Well, you've already told me that you could get the fuelling (and hence power) turned back a bit with the big turbo. Well-bred maps don't black smoke (which is a sign that you're over-fuelling and running a diesel lean).

Whereabouts are you? (town or county is adequate) We may know someone who could help.

I'm in West Yorkshire,

Cheers

I'm in West Yorkshire,

Cheers

If you're OK with going to "Lancashire", AwesomeGTi will be able to dial the fuelling back enough to stop smoking (and give you a more linear throttle response if the one you've got is as aggressive as I suggested earlier).

Oh and to clear up an "I know what I meant", I meant that there are no issues with running a diesel lean, but black smoke is a certain sign that you're running it rich.

If you're OK with going to "Lancashire", AwesomeGTi will be able to dial the fuelling back enough to stop smoking (and give you a more linear throttle response if the one you've got is as aggressive as I suggested earlier).

Oh and to clear up an "I know what I meant", I meant that there are no issues with running a diesel lean, but black smoke is a certain sign that you're running it rich.

Thanks Ken,

I'll see if I can sort a smaller turbo to start (more interested in a quick spool than top end) - then I'll have a word with awesome gti

• 1 month later...

I've had multiple VAG 1.9TDI's.  I think every flavour going infact! (110,115,130,150,160) and have had all but 2 of them remapped.

If you're interested in quick spool up times then the standard 130 turbo is better than the 150.  As standard the 150 is quite laggy the 130 instant.  Once chipped the 130 is even better, the 150 was good and is the only VAG diesel I've had which pulls right to the redline.  Chipping it removed some of the lag but the power seemed to come in about 200 rpm higher than the 130.  (1800rpm for the 130, 2000rpm for the 150).  Might not sound much but drive ability is just better with a chipped 130.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had multiple VAG 1.9TDI's.  I think every flavour going infact! (110,115,130,150,160) and have had all but 2 of them remapped.

If you're interested in quick spool up times then the standard 130 turbo is better than the 150.  As standard the 150 is quite laggy the 130 instant.  Once chipped the 130 is even better, the 150 was good and is the only VAG diesel I've had which pulls right to the redline.  Chipping it removed some of the lag but the power seemed to come in about 200 rpm higher than the 130.  (1800rpm for the 130, 2000rpm for the 150).  Might not sound much but drive ability is just better with a chipped 130.

I always wondered if the "not pulling to the red line" thing was part of the effect of having a soft governor rather than a hard rev limiter on standard VAG engines. They're the only diesels I've driven that can be driven into the line and not then sound like they're trying to back off the fueling even though you're holding the throttle wide open.