ECU help Please

I have a skoda octavia 2002 tdi 1.9. I have changed the engine from a skoda octavia 1.9tdi 2003. I have changed the ECU's over slip ring and key barrel. 

Now when I turn on the ignition the immobilisor light is on and the engine will not start although it turns over. I have done disconnection for 40 minutes and then tried to start it again but still light is on for immobilisor.

Its a real head scratcher.

I bought the vag com lead from ebay and tried that but nothing.

its now driving me mad. Any ideas would be massively appreciated.

Thanks

You have the 2002 keys and the 2003 engine ECU? 

If so, then the engine ECU thinks (correctly) that you're trying to start it using the wrong key!

I am using the 2003 key with the barrel changed ECU changed and slip ring................... @KenONeill

Edited by thegobster

You will need the dash clocks too as the immobiliser is in the dash clocks. You need in total ECU, keys, locks and dash clocks. It would be easier to have change the fuel pumps over from your 2002 engine to the 2003 engine, then you would have had all origional key, clocks etc.

Edited by Guest

Could I put everything original back and swap the pump would that fix it.

And thanks for all your help

Yes should do as the immobiliser will see all origional parts for it to work. What was the issue origionally with your old engine?

Don't need to do anything with immobiliser or fuel pumps anyhow. If there is a mechanical issue with the engine you just change the mechanical bit. Are you swapping with another ASV?

Hi yes swapping with another ASV just a year difference. 

Yes should do as the immobiliser will see all origional parts for it to work. What was the issue origionally with your old engine?

Long story short bought the 2002 believed it was a good engine and it was goosed but the 2003 engine is fantastic so swapping 03 engine into 02 body as the body is very good on 02.

Just swap the engine with pump. No need to mess with anything. The engine ECU doesn't know what mechanical bits it's running. Straight swap no messing.

I thought the pump was part of the immobiliser system? I could be wrong though.

Just swap the engine with pump. No need to mess with anything. The engine ECU doesn't know what mechanical bits it's running. Straight swap no messing.

So just to clarify are you saying swap the pumps?

So just to clarify are you saying swap the pumps?

No leave as is and just put all other parts changed back to origional parts and it should start. I would still get a timing belt kit though.

Edited by Guest

No leave as is and just put all other parts changed back to origional parts and it should start. I would still get a timing belt kit though.

its got brand new timing kit on it. I did change it.

Thank you so much for your help its been driving us nuts!!!

Hi All

Changed it all back and still the immobilisor is flashing yet again engine turning over but car wont start as before.......I am now tempted to take a hammer to it!!! :wonder:  :wonder:  :wonder: