which Yeti?

true247spartan

Hey guys

I am in a debate with myself as to which Yeti to go for. 

There is the option of a 1.2 TSI DSG or 2.0 TDI DSG both 2011 plates. Both have under 40k miles. 

My main trips are short to work and back but 3 times a week I will drive on the motorway and do around 50miles and everyday milage of a return journey of 15miles. A few times a year I do  long distance driving each trip around 300+ miles.

The TSI version is an SE and the TDI is the elegance. 

I will test drive both  tomorrow but at the minute i am more inclined towards the TDI (I do understand as its diesel it will required a good run on the motorway to clear the filter)

Any experience or opinions or advice welcomed to help make my decision.

Cheers

Andreas

I've had the 1.2TSI as a manual for over three years now and have never found it wanting, even on longer trips with four adults plus luggage and a couple of dogs. My driving patterns seems similar to yours so I don't think you would be disappointed with the 1.2 although I will confess to a "laid back" driving style. But hopefully a test drive in each will help you make up your mind.

Paul52 thanks for the reply, what is you average mpg?? I have read the yeti 1.2 does around 39mpg.

Since September 2015 when I switched to the Michelin Cross Climate tyres I've averaged 41.7mpg over about 20 brim-to-brim fills, around 8,000 miles. (The OEM tyres were giving me about 2mpg less than this before I changed them). I do try and drive with a light right foot and I don't do a lot of motorway type driving so if you like to be first away from the lights and on motorways treat the speed limit as advisory then you might fall short of that!!  :)

Enjoy your test drives.

I have done 7000 miles in the last year 2.0 l Diesel 16 miles a day none motoway then the odd day out on ,motorway had no problems no regen light only use shell Diesel

The accepted wisdom is that a diesel makes financial sense if it does 15k per year. Mine does 13k but probably 40%+ is motorway with a small percentage as 'real' local mileage. My second Yeti 140 TDi DSG has done 41k miles in 40 months and returned 43.6 mpg brim to brim. I'm happy with that. The new one is 150 TDi DSG so it will be interesting to see how that does.

If I could get a petrol 4x4 DSG witha similar performance I'd go for it.

With your mileage the 1.2 sounds like a good choice, I've driven one a few times and have been very impressed with its performance, the DSG is very sweet. In the end it down to personal choice, what suits you, your driving style, and assumes that your circumstances are not going to change.

It really comes down to price and what you want.  Modern diesels are complex and tend to have more problems as they age than petrols BUT the 6 speed wet 'diesel' DSG is reputedly more robust than the 7 speed 'dry' petrol DSG. Also not sure what version the 2011 diesel is but it will be much dirtier than the petrol with high particulate outputs - especially bad for urban use and it is quite likely that older diesels will be banned from city centres in the future.

Difficult choice but depending on your thinking the petrol will be cleaner and a safer bet than the diesel, MPG wise you are likely to get 41-42 with the petrol and much the same with the diesel.

After the test drives I did today... and spending nearly 4 hours at the dealer I decided on an Octavia 1.6 diesel DSG elegance. The drive was smoother, better MPG and better features. 

The Yeti drove well but the mpg and insurance, including road tax kinda put me off a little. 

After the test drives I did today... and spending nearly 4 hours at the dealer I decided on an Octavia 1.6 diesel DSG elegance. The drive was smoother, better MPG and better features. 

The Yeti drove well but the mpg and insurance, including road tax kinda put me off a little.

I'd be wary of second hand diesel cars 3+ years old if you're looking at real world costs of ownership.

They have inherent emissions issues which can lead to the 'savings' being blown when the DPF and EGR valve systems inevitably foul.

The modern diesel can't be regarded as ruggedly reliable in the same sense as the good(?) old dirty ones.

The manufacturers can see the writing on the wall also.

DPFs for petrol are on the way too and before much longer I expect serious battery (electric motor) competition to replace the IC engine for many people.....the coming Opel Bolt might be of interest for many and that's just the beginning.