OEM Cambelt

I can here people scorn as they read this.

However. i have just had my cambeltchanged at Murry Skoda in Plymouth after i believe 137k.

I bought the car in 2012 with 55k on the clock and have no evidence that it hasever been changed.

I being an engineer am very impressed with the state of the belt with only 1 5mm bit of fraying on the whole belt.

Im pretty certain this shows that genuine parts are the only parts that should be fitted.

The car does feel a whole lot better too after the new kit. quieter smoother and definitely more oomph. maybe a psychological change on my part but at least now i dont have to be all gently gently.

BTW i dont suggest anybody ever goes outside the recommended change times.

137k is impressive and you've been extremely lucky. A friend just had a cambelt snap on him last week (134k) on his Vauxhall Insignia tdi. Same situation as yourself, bought the car second and no evidence of a belt change in it's records. He was lucky too no valve damage.

Depends on how often should it be changed. I believe this certain Octavia's belt has to be changed every 180k km (112k miles). At least manual of my 2011 2,0 TDI (140hp) Octavia says so.

Mroberts has done it too late but luckily without any bad consequence :)

About that Insignia - maybe it has to be changed every 100k miles or so.All cars aren't similar.

Since the OEM ones are usually made by one of a few manufacturers, I think this just says buy a quality part of OEM spec or above, or it might not last as well.

Of course you could also say (for some parts, not a cambelt), if I change it 4 times as often, I'm still better off.

Edited by cheezemonkhai