My black Octy

Magget

Hi all,

Not sure if I can call this a project, but I figured I should start a topic where most of my car related topics would be concentrated. 

There's been a few topics where i've mentioned what I've been up to but just to put things all in one. Most of my images are made with a phone camera so please excuse me if they'll not be great :)

So here's my car as I got it:

post-131174-0-34220000-1472486054.jpg

post-131174-0-14087400-1472486055.jpg

post-131174-0-01120200-1472486056.jpg

Ever since I got it things have been going alright apart from a few minor cosmetic issues such as my shifter disintegrating. Here's a topic I opened:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/405844-shifter-knob-flaking/?hl=%2Bflaking#entry4685799

Long story short the shifter got replaced and all is well again. But as a lot of car people I know I tend frequently buy more things then I need whenever I'm shopping for car parts or power tools. So while buying the shifter, same thing happened. 

I bought also a boot cover, nets, and the skoda boot bag. I don't have the before pictures, but my boot was a mess. Seat cover for my dog, European kit with first aid, light bulbs, loads of microfibre cloths, towels, tools, dashboard and window wipes, etc.. so loads of crap being thrown around on every drive. 

So a few weekends ago the boot got sorted as well. Net set with the Superb Boot Bag. 

post-131174-0-48246700-1472486060.jpg

I have also changed the wheels about a month ago from the 18'' to Skoda Xtremes

Here's a picture mid swap:

Ra3Q3pa.jpg

And the end result which I'm super happy with!

post-131174-0-30773800-1472486057.jpg

Alright, so this covers all I did since April when I bought the car and now a few words on my plans for the next few months.

I've been struggling with how the car sounds  (actuator) so I'll definitely be turning it off or reducing the noise as much as possible. 

I have also ordered a BMC CDA, ACCDASP-42 which is purpose built for our 2.0 TSI engine, which I'll be installing hopefully during or just before my Stage 1 remap. There are several reasons for it actually:

1. I've used their CDA filters on all cars, and have always been pleased with the benefits when combined with a remap. I've always had a inlet pipe on my cars fronts and not a single one so far proved to reduce hp by installing it.

2. Gains, while not huge, are still gains for a small investment, and the it also adds a bit nicer engine sound (it's not going to be a ricer VTEC Bro sound :D ). Enclosed systems with a inlet pipe tend to be a lot quieter, but still give a bit swoosh sounds from the engine/turbo

3. It'll look nice - which is subjective,but I like their filters quite a lot. 

So next steps - Shark Remap with the CDA installed.I hope before end of September when I leave for a long European road trip with the car.

If Ben will be up for it, and if I'm lucky, I'd really like to have a stock intake VS BMC CDA intake dynos (remaped of course) just so I have numbers for this car and engine as well. 

I figured it would help a lot of members here with all the questions and myths about filters and impacts ( and I know... not needed until stage 2+, as factory parts can handle the power just fine until that point  :D ), but I like to meddle with my car and burn money on unnecessary parts  :devil: 

That's it for now I guess

Edited by Magget
Sorted out the pictures finally... Trying to make the topic a bit nicer on the eyes

Oh forgot one additional thing... Someone managed to scrape my doors. We're not sure how and with what, but the most votes at work was given to a trolley cart hit and to a wrist watch hit.

What do you guys think?

Tesco hit - https://imgur.com/gallery/n0jLV

I'm also going to have to sort this out as well as several stone chips, where one started to rust it seems (just noticed yesterday).

So if anyone knows a good body shop in East Midlands please do let me know.

Do shark performance do body work as well? Anyone here that had body work done there?

After quite some time spent scraping my knuckles and after a few adjustments (purpose built my ass  :D ), I can say the first step is finished(ish)

Front view

IMG_20160903_165642.jpg

Side view:

IMG_20160903_165634.jpg

Front filter inlet and OEM air feed:

IMG_20160903_165521.jpg

Filter mount:

IMG_20160903_165456.jpg

I'm really pleased with the results for now, but as the roads are still wet so I couldn't test my bum dyno :D  but it sounds great. The turbo spools a bit faster, and the engine seems to respond to the accelerator pedal a bit faster.

Everything else we'll know once I visit Shark performance which is in 2 weeks. 

Edited by Magget
Removing web links, sorting out images

Hi everyone. I need some advice. I want to sort out several stone chips, my door (tesco) damage, as well as polish and wax the car. I talked to a few detailers and they can only do polishing and waxing.

So if anyone knows a good shop where I could get all this done, please let me know. Midlands preferred but I don't mind driving farther. I'll be without the car for a week probably, so it doesn't really matter how far I drive.

All ideas will be much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Short update. I've just ordered Octavia Cup front and rear splitter from Superskoda, which I'll be painting and installing in the first 2 weeks of December.

It's when I'll be correcting my rusted stone chips, dent on the door and all other things the paint will need.

I used the last day of their 20% off due to the 20th anniversary, so was quite a good price.

I've yet to update on the BMC CDA, the results were +5 Nm and - 3Hp compared to stock setup.

This is after the tune.

I'll do a full post on just this topic as soon as I get some time

Edited by Magget

As promised here are the dynos and results of my BMC CDA VS stock filter.

First I'd like to thank all the lads at Shark for their work and patience with me.

Now on to the results. The results were in line with what quite a few people mentioned, that the stock air box is so well designed that a normal CAI won't do much good. As I've owned only NA cars before I've always had positive results so I was hoping it would be the same now, and sadly it wasn't.

The filter is still a blast to listen to as the sounds the car produces are really thrilling and it really makes the driving experience great. I've also noticed a faster engine response to the accelerator pedal, but I could just be imagining.

I'm still a bit torn whether I should keep it or not, as I'm already looking to buy a few other bits like sway bars and coil overs, and as funds are limited I'm playing with the idea of selling it.

post-131174-0-92792800-1477256726_thumb.jpg

post-131174-0-81264400-1477256737_thumb.jpg

As I've also mentioned above I've bought the Octavia Cup front splitter and a rear diffuser which will get painted and installed mid-December when I'll also get my body paint damage corrected.

I'm still looking for side skirts which will suit the car as well. I'm trying to find something which covers the sides full an not just a portion of it, so if anyone has any ideas I'd be super grateful for any shares.

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/OCTAVIA-III/Octavia-III-original-front-bumper-DTM-spoiler-OCTAVIA-CUP

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/OCTAVIA-III/Octavia-III-original-rear-bumper-DTM-diffusor-OCTAVIA-CUP

Another thing that I've also bought was new wheel caps, but I didn't have luck with them. Although the centre bore was apparently correct it looks like they're a mm off as they literally fall out by themselves after putting the in.

So I'll continue the hunt.

Alright that's all for now, hopefully the next update will contain some car images :D

• 2 months later...

It's been a while but today I've finally had the time to take some pictures of the car after a good wash, and for the first time on an actual camera and not a phone.  

It also took quite a while to get all the parts as the superskoda guys sent me the wrong parts initially, but the problem was sorted extremely quick.

I'm super happy with how the car looks, and I can't wait for the spring to come, so the xtreme 19'' go on the car.

Here's the front from a few angles:

Front 1.jpg

Front dont.jpg

front_side1.jpg

And the back:

back_side1.jpg

back_side2.jpg

My misses thinks I should change the grill frame to black but I actually like it the way it is. What do you guys think?

Edited by Magget
  • Like 1

Like it! With regards to the grille trim surround, get yourself some black electrical installation tape and plaster it around the grille so you can see what it looks like to make up your mind. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Small update after a while. 

Turbotechnics large bore inlet pipe is finally on, as is the BMC panel filter, and the difference is quite big. 

Every accelerator application is immediate, car is a lot smoother in higher revs, and pulls consistently from 4k until the limiter. It's an absolute joy to drive. 

I won't talk bhp until i do another dyno, but the drive is definitely a lot more enjoying then with the stock setup or with the CAI. 

Now all I have to see is how the pipe flexibility and stock filter box mounts flexibility will be. I couldn't find any cases where it would be a problem so I hope this will be the case with mine Octy as well.

IMG_20170410_184715.jpg

IMG_20170407_175036.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a week old update. The TT large bore and panel filter, with stage 1 map produced the following results.

5901aea8c1d0f_VRSDynoDay(1).jpg.4919fca6fb1aee7a3eabc1bd203325ca.jpg

Also other news, bilstein B12 pro kit ordered!

If all goes well it should arrive within a week and should be installed within 2 or 3 weeks!

Edited by Magget
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Coilovers and clutch fitted!

The car hasn't dropped much which is great, and the ride is firmer but less crashy. A lot better damped.

IMG_20170514_142406.jpg

IMG_20170514_142353.jpg

Edited by Magget
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, dubDEAN said:

LOOKS COOL :) loved the 18's though but the 19's look awesome too 

Thanks.

Ilove the 18" as well, that's why I kept them. They're now equipped with my winter tires, so I still get to enjoy them during winter :)

Maybe if I grow a pair I may use the 18s for a track day I've been dreaming about for so long  :biggrin:

Edited by Magget
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/15/2017 at 18:56, Magget said:

Small update after a while. 

Turbotechnics large bore inlet pipe is finally on, as is the BMC panel filter, and the difference is quite big. 

Every accelerator application is immediate, car is a lot smoother in higher revs, and pulls consistently from 4k until the limiter. It's an absolute joy to drive. 

I won't talk bhp until i do another dyno, but the drive is definitely a lot more enjoying then with the stock setup or with the CAI. 

Now all I have to see is how the pipe flexibility and stock filter box mounts flexibility will be. I couldn't find any cases where it would be a problem so I hope this will be the case with mine Octy as well.

IMG_20170410_184715.jpg

IMG_20170407_175036.jpg

Have you altered the stock air intake?

When you take it out from the bulkhead & look from the front, it has four sections, 1 straight through to the engine bay & 1 to the air intake for the filter box.

The 2 in the middle are blanked off, some of the Mk7 golf gti boys have opened these up, have you? & if not is it for any specific reason.

Just trying to figure some stuff out for my coming vRS245

45 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Have you altered the stock air intake?

When you take it out from the bulkhead & look from the front, it has four sections, 1 straight through to the engine bay & 1 to the air intake for the filter box.

The 2 in the middle are blanked off, some of the Mk7 golf gti boys have opened these up, have you? & if not is it for any specific reason.

Just trying to figure some stuff out for my coming vRS245

Hey,

The only modification that I made (apart from changing the filter itself and the pipe and inlet elbow) was remove the snow shield or snow guard.

I considered adjusting the front air ducts as the gti boys have done, but found no reason to, especially as no one could prove any benefits, and I never hack any original parts for no reason.

The standard setup has plenty of cold air flow and in my opinion requires no modifications.

If you want my advice, don't cut anything but rather ask Revo if you can buy their front duct only (from their carbon intake for MQB) and ask them if it fits the original box. Replacing should be easy as they only have 4 bolts holding it together.

• 2 months later...

It's been a while with the summer vacations and all, but during our France trip I got the brake wear warning, meaning pads needed replacing.

So I've did some research, and bought Mtec J grooved discs and yellow stuff pads.

Had ebc brakes on my older cars, and even though they had problems with them a few years back I decided to give them a go. 

I also decided I'll do the disc and pad swap myself. 

So here are a few before and after pictures:

80K mile discs  which were vibrating at highway speeds breaking:

IMG_20170925_131445.jpg

Without the wheel:

IMG_20170925_132906.jpg

Mtec Grooved disc on:

IMG_20170925_121954.jpg

Disk, pads and wheels all assembled: 

IMG_20170925_131425.jpg

And old vs new pads:

IMG_20170925_115027.jpg

Now all i have to do is go through the annoying bedding in process. 

Edited by Magget
  • Like 1