VRS Xenon Headlamp Help

So, I'm in need of assistance with the VRS's Xenons

They're factory fitted but the car has now failed its MOT as the drivers side Xenon is apparently no longer adjustable and the beam is too low.

Upon closer inspection it appears one of the adjusters has come away and it looks like corrosion is to blame.

I've been quoted circa £700 for a new headlamp unit from Skoda, which I'm quite reluctant to spend at the moment.

Can anyone offer any advice? Should I attempt to downgrade to regular headlights? Or would something like this be of use?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Fabia-I-6Y-99-07-Xenon-headlight-right-6Y1941015S-right-headlight-/171967739742?hash=item280a13775e:g:CjkAAOSw8cNUSG6w

Or I'm tempted to sell the car...

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

Tom

I'd be wary of the headlight in the link being 'left hand drive' specific too considering it's coming from Germany.

I'd be surprised if the adjuster is corroded though... the majority of it is plastic.

The adjuster itself connectors to the headlight lens via a ball and socket type joint. It could be that this ball and socket have become detached?

You need to take the headlight off the car and remove the back cover to see the adjuster. It is inside the headlight.

Chances are the adjuster has come off, and simple needs clipping back on.

Edited by softscoop

Ahh, I see what you mean now.

I don't understand why they can't be adjusted still though? Pair of pliers should do the trick if you ask me.

Once those 2 top adjusters are set, they are pretty much 'set and forget'. The rest of the adjustment is taken up by the electric adjuster motor within the headlight unit, which, if your car is factory fit xenon, is all automated anyway as long as the levelling sensors are all working on the rear beam.

So I followed your advice and attempted to align the right with a set of pliers.

I can adjust the light to the correct level, but as soon as I let go it falls back out of alignment. I think theres a screw/dial thing missing :(

Any ideas?

I see from the photos that the screw/dial is missing, but I don't understand why it falls back out of alignment when you let go.

In the 3rd photo, the peg that sticks out from the headlight (of which the little dial should fit onto) should rotate, but friction should keep it in its position to prevent it spinning. That's the bit that's stumped me i'm afraid....

• 2 weeks later...

Top one you've circled stays put (the depo units have there own plug adapter that will plug into the ballast unit)

The bottom one does require to be unplugged, but can be a bit of pain.... Just requires a very firm press with your thumb to lift the retaining clip, and a bit of a wiggle. You might loose some sensation in the your thumb, but it should come off ;)