Difficult to select gears

I've recently developed an issue where it's difficult changing gear. Particular 1st, 2nd and reverse.

It got so bad that when I needed to reverse I had to turn the car off, select reverse, then turn the car back on.

Reading up it looks like i would require a shim.

I had that fitted today, but it hasn't improved.

Could it be the clutch itself that needs replacing or just the release bearing/ slave cylinder?

Clutch would generally effect all gears but if you can select fine with engine off its either the clutch of input shaft play. Either way gearbox out.

Ok thanks, forgot to say all gears are a bit stiff, but intermittently they select fine. How do you check the input shaft? Would you expect some clutch slip if the clutch was goosed?

I have the same issue since I fitted a chance motorsport clutch & single mass. I bought the shim but when I went to fit it there was almost no movement in the bearing so I left it, not entirely sure what it is now. Mine is fine when the car is first started but the more I drive the worse it gets?

Get yourself up to unit 18 Charlie. Ali will know what needs to happen and he uses a good company for gearbox rebuilds, plus his price for removing and refitting the box is very good.

Email me If you want any details.

• Like 1

Get yourself up to unit 18 Charlie. Ali will know what needs to happen and he uses a good company for gearbox rebuilds, plus his price for removing and refitting the box is very good.

Email me If you want any details.

Yes please mate that would be great

I had an issue on my last Octy, where it was sometimes reluctant to engage reverse. I had the gearbox oil changed just to rule that out, and the issue was solved.

So worth getting that done before any heavier duty troubleshooting is done :thumbup:

• Like 1

It could be, but I would want to check first. £60 odd for the input shaft would be much better than the clutch

I would be inclined that the input (first motion) shaft would effect all gears, a bit like a worn clutch.

A possible gear-box strip to replace the shaft would encourage me to renew all the clutch components at the same time..

Adding the cost of a gear-box strip by a professional to replace shaft could be off-set and cheaper by getting a second-hand gear-box..

Just glad not my gear-box and decision and knowing these things could end-up being very expensive..

Edited by giandougl