Octavia BLF Engine speed sensor (Crank sensor)

Long story short, I picked up a 2005 Octavia 1.6 FSI that has been off the road for 2 years with a broken rear spring (owner laid it up when he got a van). started fine when I picked it up, ran quite sweetly on tickover and low revs and has only 70000 on the clock with one local owner from new. I towed it to work and fitted a new spring. So finally I was able to drive it, and found that it was flat and wouldn't pull/rev beyond 4000 rpm. I bunged my code reader on and picked up 2 codes. While messing with the reader I pressed the wrong thing and cleared the codes, no problem I thought Ill just run it up again and see what comes up  only to find it wouldn't start. I plugged the reader in again and it showed a code for Engine speed sensor.

Being short of time, I decided to pop it into a local place that does diagnostic stuff, they also came up with the sensor code and said they would order one for me, this was a couple weeks ago, since then I have had a delay from them saying that it looked like someone had already had a go at it and the bolt holding it in was rounded, they were talking about taking off the inlet manifold to remove it, then they had a sensor with the wrong plug, then another one, then they were going to the Dealers to get one from them, which also turned out to have the wrong plug on it, they claim the wiring on the car must have been played with, but I have doubts. does anyone here know if there are indeed different plugs fitted to possible different type crank sensors hat might be fitted across the same engine type?

The V5 gives the engine number as beginning BLF so assuming that is the engine code (wiki suggests it is) then GSF only list one part for the car when using the Reg number as a search reference.

I feel that I am being fed a line here, the temptation is to turn up[ there tomorrow and see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally sorted £250 later, a new Skoda part sensor, a diagnostic fee and some labour sorted out the wiring which had been hacked. Working in a breakers yard didn't help as we have yet to see an Octavia II for breaking (apart from mine), the plug that had been substituted on the car - with the "wrong" sensor has been changed, I borrowed the new sensor from the sparks guys and took it into work and searched the yard till I found a plug that fitted it properly - on an Old Superb Diesel we have - so finally I have a car that runs sweetly and pulls like it should.the MOT threw up the issues I was expecting plus a split seam on the lower rear edge of the N/S sill, I'm assuming the can has been dragged over a kerb at some point causing the damage, I'm welding that up tomorrow. All I need to do now is sort out the running fan issues and get the radio working again (until I can save for and source a better one).