1.8.TSI Inlet Camshaft variable timing Issue First Engine problem with great Yeti at 130k

aussieyetifan

My 2012 Yeti 1.8TSI Manual has been fantastic.... Its done 130000kms and I have had no issues except for a couple of wiper blade replacements. Until last friday that is,   when the engine warning light came on.  It had been running alittle rough and was due for a oil change in about 2000km.  Local VW/skoda  mechanic diagnosed  faulty inlet camshaft variable timing solenoid.  Im up for $700 to repair.  Has anyone else had this problem?   It has had no mods and has been log book Serviced as per Skoda Guidelines and has lived on 98 octane fuel all its life.   Is this a common issue with the 1.8 VAG group TSI engine? Seems abit early for a well looked after car to be wearing out.  

If it is confirmed a camshaft problem, suggest you check if your engine was subject to a recall regarding the camshaft area and was it actioned. I have lost all the paperwork now, but remember my earlier 1.8tsi was modified by a recall notice.  

Thanks for the all the replies and yes DGW,  I have read the slightly worrying engine failures post.  I think I will be changing the oil every 10k now.  CDAA TSI 1.8 2012 engine seems to not be the subject of the VAG camshaft recall...  Mechanic pretty sure it does not have a stretched chain.   Is waiting on solenoid part to put it all back together ... will know tomorrow if all is well or not. 

update not good news.... new camshaft solenoid and sensor and new camshaft error messaget.....yeti now being towed to dealer...... i hope this ends well .. may well have a stretched timing chain and or failed tensioner.....:(

So after three days at the dealer they have finally go around to looking at the problem and yes its a stretched timing chain.  Car has done 125000 country kms and a crucial engine part wears out even though the car has been serviced at least every 15000 km according to spec.. 

So thanks VAG group .....Skoda is now my least favourite Car!!!

I have posted the same thread on vw Watercooled Australia and there seems to be a quite a few instances of early timing chain failure with the VAG TSI engine family. Am now pursuing VW for a goodwill repair.  From what I have read the 15000km advertised service interval is a fraudulent claim on the part of VAG Skoda as the TSI engines seem to need the oil replaced at much earlier intervals(every (5 to 10000km) to ensure the drivetrain does not wear out prematurely.   Will keep you posted...

Edited by aussieyetifan

If they're using the appropriate oil then 15,000 kms is conservative compared to Europe's (on condition) 32,000.

Beats me how the technology of a cam chain can be a problem in the third millennium.

It's not a Skoda component though.

Thanks for your comments Freedom...  From all the forums it seems VAG group are no longer made for reliability and longevity.  I'm equally amazed that most mechanics have said that you should change engine oil on these cars every 8-10000 and the schedule says every 15.  Where do the timing chains come from if they are not from Skoda?

Ha yes I know they are VAG group Freedom.... Just wondering whether they are sourced from non VAG contractors

Our VW Amaroks come from an Argentine factory apparently so who knows where the cam chain is manufactured or where the actual engine is assembled, but the bottom line dominates in all matters.

unhappy update on the original post ... local vag dealer James Frizelle Lismore has confirmed stretched timing chain and Skoda Australia has offered to pay 300 dollars of a 2100 dollar repair ... this is truly terrible support and I will be contesting this diabolically bad response from SKODA Australia tomorrow .... stay tuned....

unhappy update on the original post ... local vag dealer James Frizelle Lismore has confirmed stretched timing chain and Skoda Australia has offered to pay 300 dollars of a 2100 dollar repair ... this is truly terrible support and I will be contesting this diabolically bad response from SKODA Australia tomorrow .... stay tuned....

Update.... Spoke to Skoda Australia this morning and they are currently reconsidering goodwill contribution to replace timing chain and guides.  They will only consider paying for  actual replacement part costs (600dollars)  which will mean I will be still out of pocket over $2000 due to towing,labour and  hire car costs (no loan car offered from James Frizelles Lismore). 

Have been advised by Australian Consumer Law that this can be considered a "major "problem  on the part of the product...defined as  one that if I had known about it I would not have bought the vehicle.  In this instance I am entitled to a full refund of costs.... Thats if I can be bothered fighting Skoda with the NSW Small Business Comissioner. 

Will post again when I have heard back from Skoda.... Thanks everyone for your interest in this issue.

The saga continues.... Skoda Australia now offering to pay for 100 percent of parts cost($600)  but not labour.  While this is better it amounts to about 30 percent of the actual repair cost as labour is about $1300.  Anyone have any experience in this process? Should I keep trying to get them to pay for the entire amount or will it be effort for nothing? 

The commercial media might like a story ......#7&9 frinstance as long as they don't get advertising revenue from them of course.

And

That it's a VW component that has failed which would likely get them more interested

Edited by Ryeman

It's just one of a number of mechanical faults involving many owners which have been dealt with quietly by internal service campaigns rather than publicly notified 'recalls' even when safety has been an issue.

Going into 'limp mode' is a safety issue eg , outside lane of a freeway etc

Edited by Ryeman

So I have my car back and it is running fine... James Frizelle Motors in Lismore ended up being helpful with labour costs and charged 1300 labour when they had quoted me 2100 and also did  a free major service (new plugs oil etc) and a compression check which showed compression on all cylinders in normal range... meaning that valves and cylinders are still maintaining cylinder pressure... (something that they may not do if damaged by timing chain stretch, causing valves to hit pistons)..  Still going to write a letter to skoda to see if they can pay me back some of the hire car and labour costs.  Not optimistic though.  Its good to have the yeti back running smmmoooothly.

Edited by aussieyetifan