Fuel Problem

survey

To be honest I'm not hung up about what fuel I use. With my last two Yeti's I've used mainly Sansburys and had no issue and in my view have returned good performance and mpg. Both passed the MOT OK. I did a two month trial of BP Ultimate Diesel or whatever it was called and during the 2k+ miles didn't see a real difference that would make the price differential worth seeking out BP garages. (It may have been Shell can't quite remember which) I do try not to use pumps that state that they have a high Bio content, however, as I seemed to remember that it's not recommended in VW Diesel engines, that may have changed now of course.

This subject surfaces every so often and the Internet is awash with passionate appeals not to use Supermarket fuels. In the end it's down to personal choice.

• Like 1

I do try not to use pumps that state that they have a high Bio content, however, as I seemed to remember that it's not recommended in VW Diesel engines, that may have changed now of course.

VW have been OK with 7% biodiesel since at least 2010, see: http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/common/pdf/general/biodiesel.pdf

Anything over 7% will not meet the BS EN 590 standard, so can't be sold on the forecourt; that cannot be overridden by any "high bio content" statement on the pump.  Since all forecourt diesel must contain at least 3.5% biodiesel, my guess is that "high bio content" probably means nothing more than "more than the minimum required by law", so maybe more than 3.5% but in any case no more than 7%.

Weasel marketing words again, to try to appeal to people's 'green' sentiments but containing approximately 0% genuine, useful information.

VW have been OK with 7% biodiesel since at least 2010, see: http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/common/pdf/general/biodiesel.pdf

Anything over 7% will not meet the BS EN 590 standard, so can't be sold on the forecourt; that cannot be overridden by any "high bio content" statement on the pump.  Since all forecourt diesel must contain at least 3.5% biodiesel, my guess is that "high bio content" probably means nothing more than "more than the minimum required by law", so maybe more than 3.5% but in any case no more than 7%.

Weasel marketing words again, to try to appeal to people's 'green' sentiments but containing approximately 0% genuine, useful information.

Thanks for the information, interesting.

Fuel used was Total from our local CO-OP. My MB got tank down to a quarter and then topped up with some premium BP ( in France at present) plus some Redex. Consumption has improved. Will be interesting to see if the same effect on the Yeti when we get back to UK.

On my recent trip I used 1/3 tank going, refilled and only used 1/4 tank returning.

The common denominator? wind direction. In my face going, up my tail feathers

returning

On my recent trip I used 1/3 tank going, refilled and only used 1/4 tank returning.

The common denominator? wind direction. In my face going, up my tail feathers

returning

I've also noticed quite a difference in mpg if the wind is against the car. Mind you we do drive a rather nicely designed 'brick'.

I stand to be corrected but I think all fuels now have at least 5% bio while I think Morrisons might have 15%. Some engines are not so happy with the extra additional bio.

I think you are mixing EN590 (which allows upto 7% FAME bio) with E85 (85% ethanol and 15% gasoline) bioethanol

E85 pumps are quite rare in UK

Winter diesel has lower performance, it has pour point depressant additives these days (in old days used to mix in some jet aviation fuel, fewer flights in winter, so was readily available, but jet fuel is flammable)

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1

I've also noticed quite a difference in mpg if the wind is against the car. Mind you we do drive a rather nicely designed 'brick'.

10-15 lengths behind a large truck will make a big difference into a headwind.....not a crosswind of course.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the information, interesting.

It's also incorrect, unfortunately. You can indeed sell fuel with more than 7% bio content, for example B20, B30, B80 or even B100. Morrisons used to have a B30 pump, which was bright orange and had a warning that it was only suited to some cars. Like all their fuels, it was supplied by Harvest Energy. The BS EN590 standard for diesel isn't affected, as biodiesel proper is sold under BS EN14214 and is therefore perfectly legal. Morrisons eventually withdrew it, however, as demand at that time was too low. Only PSA cars were warranted to run on it (Citroen and Peugeot), and of course any older cars which were capable. 

Sorry to bump the thread (a little) but I was searching for something and this topic came up. When I spotted the inaccuracy I thought I may as well correct it in case someone else searches in future. :thumbup: