Monte Carlo suspension

joshy87

Hi All,

Recently bought a monte estate and absolutely love it but I do have one minor bug bare. The ride is quite firm, I know that some see this as a plus but as I regularly do 2- 3 hour drives you do notice this after a while. I have had cars that crash over pot holes in the past and its no where near that bad but I would describe it as firm in the sense that you do feel every undulation or bump in the road and for example crossing lanes on the motorway you feel quite a bump over the cats eyes.

My question is would there be a relatively cheap way to make the ride a little less harsh? I am a complete novice with stuff like this and not mechanically minded at all. Its currently got low profile tyres on too so I thought other than the suspension a different set of tyres might help? I can live with it as stated its not that bad just thought I would check if anyone else has made any mods that didn't cost the earth? Appreciate usually people are wanting to go the other way and lower it etc, maybe im getting old :)

Thanks in advance

Josh

Hi, I'm another Josh who found my Monte estate's ride too harsh. I swapped the wheels for 16" rims from the A1 with 215/45 tyres. They are nearly identical diameter so no need to adjust the speedo. I found the slight width increase + increased tyre profile greatly improve the ride.

Thanks for replies, I might just swap the shocks, does anyone have an idea of the cost of standard shocks? I thought about changing the wheels but I love the black rims and mine are immaculate so would be a real shame to swap them. My tyres are really low profile so bigger tyres could well help too, they are almost brand new tho!

As I didn't want to change the wheels and wasn't particularly keen on messing with the suspension I thought I would change the tyre size at first. So I've gone from 205/40 to 215/45 which fits fine. Now the important bit the ride quality, although I've only driven it a few miles back from the garage it is noticeably better, you still feel the pot holes but it doesn't crash into them like before. I expect the ride to be firm with the suspension and big wheels but the bigger tyres does make it a little more manageable

As I didn't want to change the wheels and wasn't particularly keen on messing with the suspension I thought I would change the tyre size at first. So I've gone from 205/40 to 215/45 which fits fine. Now the important bit the ride quality, although I've only driven it a few miles back from the garage it is noticeably better, you still feel the pot holes but it doesn't crash into them like before. I expect the ride to be firm with the suspension and big wheels but the bigger tyres does make it a little more manageable

Oops, I think you might have overdone it a tad with the tyre size. That change will give a significant speedo error of 4.72%.

Yep, I take it all back! Turns out apart from the obvious speedo issues they are just a bit too big! The rear passenger tyre rubbed on the arch. A 205/45 would probably fit ok, back to the drawing board.

Actually 215/40 R 17 & 205/45 R 17 has the speedo near damn accurate compared to some 205/40 R 17's

Not all brands and treads measure the same. 

ie 205/40 R 17 Pirelli Zero Nero when new can measure bigger than others brands of 215/40 R 17

• 6 months later...

A skoda technician told me that the sports suspension is an extra option. He stated that it's the springs that change the ride and not the shocks. I wondered which model Fabia I could get the springs off for a swap. My monte darlo is 61plate. Wonder if I could swap with 61plate vrs springs ?

Well the vRS & Monte Carlo get what Skoda call 'Sport' Suspension as STANDARD, there is no extra cost because that is what you get,

and then Dealer fit Lowering Springs were fitted at a Dealership not the factory.

A vRS's springs are to suit a 1.4TSI with a DSG.  and Monte Carlo standard springs are to suit either a petrol or diesel Monte Carlo. 

& then there are different rear springs for an estate.

So wires are being crossed someplace.  Best say what Monte Carlo you have, 1.2 TSI or a 1.6TDI CR.

Edited by Awayoffski

• 2 years later...

I changed my 17" wheels to 16" from a Toledo. Tyres now 205/45/16. Feels softer ride but still hard over speed bumps. My old 55plate fabia used to fly over speed bumps at 30mph but still have to slow to 20mph. Car still looks ok but not as nice without the original 17" wheels. I'm aware Skoda did change from 17" to 16" because the ride was too firm. I did change rear springs to standard which made significant difference whilst leaving on the 17" wheels but looked higher at the back. Want to put my 17" wheels back on but just need to know if I can just replace the front springs as I did on the rear or do I need to change the shocks as well ?