Little hope for Yeti replacement

boemher

Hi I'm another Aussie,

Have had 5 cars, all at there times, were little known except for my Toyota Hilux ute.

Kept records and have in my time have accumulated 4.5 Million  miles and KM. ,

My Dad always said on your Test drive "clear your head" if it feels right it is good for you.

My "snowman" has not let me down except for VW " Diesel Gate".

The 2009 Yeti is dated, NCAP safety rating has expired and it is doubtful it would get anywhere near 5 stars now. Chassis is very much last generation as is technology so basically anyone buying a Yeti now is getting an "old" car. Doesn't mean it's bad, just not up to the best modern standards. So why spend £20k on an old car when competitors are already offering modern designs for the same price?

Sorry, but I test drove and looked over many alternatives to the Yeti none came anywhere near the ride and spec.  Many were poorer on emissions and mpg and virtually none had a good performance DSG type gearbox. Now if I wanted to pay bucket loads of cash that might have been different, but true value for money the Yeti was the very best choice for me and did not feel like a poor option.  Yes I got a good deal and good PX but I loaded the L&K 150 DSG with options and it still came in under £26K on the road.  No, I'm happy with my lot and will wait for the Yeti II or see how the Ateca performs on the road once the initial delivery issues are resolved.

• Like 1

As I said doesn't mean the Yeti is a bad car just that it is yesterday's technology. If it meets your needs then it is right for you, enjoy your new Yeti.

There is a misconception by some that yesterday's technology is to be frowned upon. Not everyone wants to reinvent the wheel.

Some modern technology just gets in the way of simple processes.

I don't want the Yeti to grow, parking spaces don't.

Everyone remembers big cavernous Volvo estates replaced by curvy designs that can't carry big rectangular boxes, it's same principle, why change something that can no longer do something it did.

I would prefer a CD player, I find it easier to shove a preferred CD in than scroll through hundreds of menu items. Old school maybe, but I hate screen menus when one simple button got same result.

• Like 1

I agree with you, the technology I meant was basic chassis design and designed in safety. Radios etc are just friparries it is the basic elements that are "old" and not up to latest standards. Not bad but not the best.

Everyone remembers big cavernous Volvo estates replaced by curvy designs that can't carry big rectangular boxes, it's same principle, why change something that can no longer do something it did.

Sorry but meant to quote about growing size of cars - as a car salesman said to me 'if you could see the size of people coming into the showroom you would understand why cars are getting bigger' . Says it all really.

It's design that is making cars bigger (on the outside). The Yeti is one of the better when space on inside opposed to the outside footprint is taken into consideration.

If it's the size of the buyers that Skoda is building for how do you explain the Chinese Yeti?

Sorry but meant to quote about growing size of cars - as a car salesman said to me 'if you could see the size of people coming into the showroom you would understand why cars are getting bigger' . Says it all really.

It's more that cars need to pass more stringent crash tests, which is easier with a bit more volume, and from a sales point of view they need to be able to show that the "new" model has more space than the old one. Cars have been growing in size for decades, and then every so often the biggest model gets dropped and a new one slots in at the bottom.

.......but the manufacturers keep bringing out compact ones to fill a need for a car that's outgrown it's purpose eg the Toyota Aygo could have been the Corolla still and if you outgrow it you buy a Camry. More to do with aspirational niche filling and marketing to me.

It's my understanding that both Skoda and Seat plan to bring out smaller than Yeti size SUV.  Maybe not 4x4's but in a similar style.

Edited by ernieb

Looked at the new Ateca today, nice but they all seemed to have very black interiors - black seats, black headlining etc. - maybe it was just the one's they had on show but couldn't see any with the light interior of the Yeti. Too funereal for me, surely there must be a variant with lighter seats and headlining?

I have been thinking about a Yeti as a long term replacement. It is one of the few cars I would consider that is towards the end of its current production. I believe the Yeti will be much like the Octavia mk2, always a good car. The Yeti to me is good quality, practical for going to the tip and there is room for a dog should we ever decide to get another? Also SWMBO would like something a "little higher up". There are other cars that are crossovers but mostly French and I'm concerned they'll start falling apart in a few years! So they are a no-no for me. Plus most of them have ugly interiors.

Most SUVs are far too big for us although I quite like the RAV-4 but out of my price range.

The only decision is 1.2tsi or 2.0tdi. Seem to much the same price these days nearly new. I do around 10k.

Edited by threadbear
  • Like 3

The last or nearly last of a production line are often the very best to buy as a keeper or to own for a longer period of time.

Add extra warranty at purchase and enjoy a known quantity.

Sometimes early versions or versions face lifted with the snagging faults all found and engineered out can be the best of the production run and be the ones to buy as a used car.

Looking forward to seeing a Baby Yeti sometime in the future and i hope it is not just a re-bodied Ateca or even a Golf.

I have been thinking about a Yeti as a long term replacement. It is one of the few cars I would consider that is towards the end of its current production. I believe the Yeti will be much like the Octavia mk2, always a good car. The Yeti to me is good quality, practical for going to the tip and there is room for a dog should we ever decide to get another? Also SWMBO would like something a "little higher up". There are other cars that are crossovers but mostly French and I'm concerned they'll start falling apart in a few years! So they are a no-no for me. Plus most of them have ugly interiors.

Most SUVs are far too big for us although I quite like the RAV-4 but out of my price range.

The only decision is 1.2tsi or 2.0tdi. Seem to much the same price these days nearly new. I do around 10k.

Not advertising but this is a very low mileage 2014 yeti.

https://www.cargiant.co.uk/car/skoda/yeti/YE64LFW

I am definetly tempted by a Yeti as they are a managable size for the tight road where we live. And being that you can take the rear seats harks back to the days of my Scenic I that I had which incidentally was a brilliant car. 

Thank you for your comments. I have to say I prefer the look of the Outdoor to the standard Yeti even though it is a purely cosmetic exercise. 

Where can you get a brand new Yeti for 16k?