Little hope for Yeti replacement

boemher

^^^ Yes a S at that price and you will find those that will do a SE for £16,300.

Push a Dealer with one on order and they can manage £16,000 if they really try.

They might not want it advertised on forums.

I too am confused about my upcoming Yeti upgrade. My car will be 5 years old in a few months. I love it, but would want something with slightly more luggage space, especially since we do a lot of road trip with friends. THere isn't enough luggage space for 4 people for 10 days' trip including cameras, laptops and tripods.

The Kodiaq seems too large. We have trouble finding parking and also in narrow rural lanes, it's an issue.

I guess, here in India, if VW launches the Tiguan, it may be an option. The LR Discovery a sport is more than twice the price of Yeti here.

I too am confused about my upcoming Yeti upgrade. My car will be 5 years old in a few months. I love it, but would want something with slightly more luggage space, especially since we do a lot of road trip with friends. THere isn't enough luggage space for 4 people for 10 days' trip including cameras, laptops and tripods.

The Kodiaq seems too large. We have trouble finding parking and also in narrow rural lanes, it's an issue.

I guess, here in India, if VW launches the Tiguan, it may be an option. The LR Discovery a sport is more than twice the price of Yeti here.

I doubt you will find a more efficiently packaged vehicle than the Yeti.

To me, it comes down to ruthless packing and taking full advantage of all the nooks and crannies.

• Like 1

There is no need to always make the wheel base or the length / width of a model longer because someone needs more space, 

and you can hardly square off a Yeti body anymore.

Using the shared platforms and technology does not mean Skoda needs to clone the other VWG Vehicles.

If people need longer / bigger / heavier/ taking up more space vehicles there are lots to choose from. Dozens of choices actually.

I suspect the new Yeti will be the same size as the Ateca. Despite all my misgivings about buying old technology I might end up buying a run out model Yeti, none of the competitors I have looked at so far match the size/space ratio of the current Yeti and I don't really need or want an externally larger car.

• Like 2

I suspect the new Yeti will be the same size as the Ateca. Despite all my misgivings about buying old technology I might end up buying a run out model Yeti, none of the competitors I have looked at so far match the size/space ratio of the current Yeti and I don't really need or want an externally larger car.

Very much my view. At least the run out model is tried and tested. Are the engines in the Ateca the same same those in the run-out Yeti? Looked at an Ateca yesterday and thought the finish was better than the Yeti but any new model is wider these days and parking spaces stay the same width!

The Area gets the more powerful and efficient 1.0 litre petrol and the modern 1.4 litre with cylinder cut out. However no DSG petrol while the Yeti has the 1.2 litre petrol with the 7 speed dry clutch DSG. This DSG has had problems and is being replaced by a wet version which is more robust - so get older engine and DSG. Now whether Skoda will bother to update the engine & DSG box in the run-out model is doubtful, so that's my dilemma in buying the run-out Yeti.

Just clarify things for me please....

Am I to understand that VAG are to dispense with the dry clutch, 7 speed, DSG and replace it with the wet clutch?   ... even on small engines like the 1.2 .....?

I just spent a depressing ten minutes Googling the matter but nowhere did I see the above scenario predicted.   - and, of course, I was assailed by reams of entries from all quarters ....mostly advising that my 7 speed DSG will explode tomorrow (maybe it will?)

It's now five and a half years old, so not only is it well out of manufacturer's warranty it's probably well beyond the point where Skoda would offer any "goodwill" if the DSG did fail catastrophically.  And my aftemarket extended warranty with Car Care Plan will jump up in price next time as it's over five yrs.

We're doomed !

As a pointless aside, it does remind me that if we'd bought a Kia none of us would be having these, endless, conversations.....certainly I'd be looking forward to another 18 months of being covered by manufacturers warranty.

Indeed, my automatic Hyundai warranty just expired after five yrs ownership from new and, it has to be said, I'm not losing sleep worrying if the auto box will self destruct any time soon.

It's really a bit of a shame that VAG hasn't done something to increase levels of user confidence in their transmissions. If they'd done so we'd all be singing their praises and looking forward to replacing our current DSGs with another.

Are VAG really the devil in disguise that the recent emissions scandals have given us cause to suspect they might be?

Edited by oldstan

The Seat Ateca 2.0TDI 190 ps 4x4 gets the new 7 Speed wet clutch DSG. 

There are those with Skoda Warranties bought this year on 6 year old Fabia vRS with 7 Speed Dry Clutch DSG's that paid less this year than last for the same cover, excess and mileage.

Edited by Offski

The Yeti is 1793mm wide and the Ateca is 1841.

A little wider but not a huge difference.

48mm = one and thirty-one thirty-seconds in old money.  Even if you choose *not* to call it two inches it would still represent a potential embarrassment in my home parking :peek:

Just clarify things for me please....

Am I to understand that VAG are to dispense with the dry clutch, 7 speed, DSG and replace it with the wet clutch?   ... even on small engines like the 1.2 .....?

I just spent a depressing ten minutes Googling the matter but nowhere did I see the above scenario predicted.   - and, of course, I was assailed by reams of entries from all quarters ....mostly advising that my 7 speed DSG will explode tomorrow (maybe it will?)

It's now five and a half years old, so not only is it well out of manufacturer's warranty it's probably well beyond the point where Skoda would offer any "goodwill" if the DSG did fail catastrophically.  And my aftemarket extended warranty with Car Care Plan will jump up in price next time as it's over five yrs.

We're doomed !

As a pointless aside, it does remind me that if we'd bought a Kia none of us would be having these, endless, conversations.....certainly I'd be looking forward to another 18 months of being covered by manufacturers warranty.

Indeed, my automatic Hyundai warranty just expired after five yrs ownership from new and, it has to be said, I'm not losing sleep worrying if the auto box will self destruct any time soon.

It's really a bit of a shame that VAG hasn't done something to increase levels of user confidence in their transmissions. If they'd done so we'd all be singing their praises and looking forward to replacing our current DSGs with another.

Are VAG really the devil in disguise that the recent emissions scandals have given us cause to suspect they might be?

I also have a 1.2 DSG and so far (4 1/2 years) no problems. Of course you only hear about customers who have had problems with the dry DSG 7 speed, nothing from those who have had no problems at all - the majority. I believe in some countries Skoda increased the warranty on the DSG box to five years and also I understand that VAG have been willing to make a contribution to repairs of those that go wrong up to 5 years; nothing official mind you. A technician at the dealer I know tells me that the latest dry DSG boxes are much improved over the earlier versions so we are probably 'safe' to buy a new 1.2 DSG Yeti now. I believe that one reason the new Ateca does not have a petrol DSG is because the new wet DSG's are in very short supply and are being reserved for new cars such as the new Audi crossover. As production is ramped up it will gradually be introduced across the VAG range but likely not until the new Yeti is launched in 2018. probably same with the 1.0 litre petrol engine. VAG's money woes will certainly curtail investment in new plants and so VAG customers are likely to have to soldier on with older engines and transmissions for a while. VAG have to get the £ billions they are paying to the USA customers and authorities for the emissions scandal from somewhere. Customers in Europe will get nowhere near such a deal because it would bankrupt VAG and the German government will not allow that to happen.

My understanding is that the mechatronic unit on the early 7 speed was updated some time ago along with the cam chain and ignition harness - all applicable to the 1.2 'dry' 7 speed DSG .

For light duty (not heavy towing obviously) you would think they've got it right by now.......think of the publicity if not.

Regarding the Ateca, I have just checked various Seat websites from different European countries and petrol DSG exists

But not available in UK

Therefore the suggestion they are all reserved for Audi seems wrong, appears to be a Stuff the UK thing by VW group

Regarding the Ateca, I have just checked various Seat websites from different European countries and petrol DSG exists

But not available in UK

Therefore the suggestion they are all reserved for Audi seems wrong, appears to be a Stuff the UK thing by VW group

Exactly, as with Skoda there many options not available to the UK buyer, lots more colour, coloured roofs, petrol engines with DSG etc. etc.  I guess Seat and Skoda will put it down to the style of car and the market they figure it will be sold in.  Well whatever they figured for the Yeti seems to have gone pear shaped based on the number of younger families that seem to have adopted them around our area.

If there is a shortage of DSG stock I would expect VAG's priority would be Audi, VW then ......

On an Ateca forum I follow there seems to be some delay with DSG' s as compared to manual gearboxes. The difficulty is to weed out the 1st production release fixed spec models from the individually spec'd models. There does seem to be issues over the 150TDi engines as some cars in Spain are being reported as being offered a 190 in its place. Not of course an offer that's extended to the UK. How long these 'problems' remain is very difficult to judge as these things seem to plug up and flow again without any reason that we might know about. I'm sure they are pushing hard to increase the production of all these parts as all the VW group cars are now using them. Little choice really as these seem to be all they've got that meet the Euro 6 specs. It'll be very interesting to see what happens when and if the Euro 7 specs are agreed and a firm implementation date is fixed, it does seem to be a little flexible at present. Unless anyone has better information?

ernieb, 

There is lots of confusing stuff online with the Euro 6 emissions Seat 2.0TDI 150ps & 190ps due to different ones now available & in production and those that have SCR (adblue)

Which forum are you on for the Ateca ?

http://seatcupra.net

Post #10 for some info on supply hold ups.

http://seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=432027

Edited by Offski