Target price for timing belt & service intervals

The cambelt interval is a myriad of confusion, thanks in part to online forums such as this and ill-informed main dealers and independents.

I'm not suggesting Skoda UK are renowned for their accuracy but I'd say they are your best option, the main reason being they use your VIN rather than quoting some bloke off the internet.

Time is easy, on cars registered before September 2010 - blanket 4 year interval. Cars registered after September 2010 - blanket 5 year interval.

Mileage is where the internet is not your friend. Use the web link in the previous post, quoting the VIN (the long number under the passenger side wiper blade).

As for pricing, it very much depends on where you live. Luckily I'm in the north. My local Skoda franchised dealer offers to price match. Found a local independent, asked for a quote using genuine VAG parts (cambelt and waterpump) for £340. Dealer matched it with the addition of a 2 year parts and labour warranty...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/403324-cambelt-waterpump-%C2%A3340-at-a-main-dealer/

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Timing belt interval is time not mileage based! 5 years IIRC.

Dave

dealer said  5 years or 140 000

Mine is only 2 years old and it's done 120k already  so if I based it on years , the belt would snap well before 5

Edited by peterposh

Hi, no to the forum. I bought a 2011 Skoda Superb CR 140 estate a couple of weeks ago and the timing belt is due. It's done 104k miles.

I need to get it booked in for the timing belt change. I had a quote from an independent which was £400, which isn't an awful lot cheaper than a dealer at £479 so I'm tempted to get them to do it. Should I be able to find less than £400?

Also I've noted the mileage and services the car has had below. Would anyone be able to tell me what is due next? Every 10000 miles for a minor and every 20000 miles for a major. I'm not sure what is meant by variable service. Many thanks.

8680 1st variable

17984 variable

27008 variable

36915 variable 40k

56444 5th variable

92952 minor service

Your car has been set to fixed service intervals from new until it's 5th service (10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is reached first).

Variable servicing is up to 20,000 miles or 2 years, approx. The car decides for itself when it needs fresh oil (number of cold starts, journey length etc.).

For some reason at 56,000 miles something went wrong, either the servicing wasn't properly recorded or it didn't get fresh oil for 36,500 miles, way too long.

A word of warning, there is little difference between a fixed and variable service. The variable gets a pollen, air and fuel filter over the fixed service BUT only when required, which for most Superb's is at least 3 years or 60,000 miles, so don't pay for a variable service unless the garage can confirm that you are due the additional filters.

The cambelt interval is a myriad of confusion, thanks in part to online forums such as this and ill-informed main dealers and independents.

I'm not suggesting Skoda UK are renowned for their accuracy but I'd say they are your best option, the main reason being they use your VIN rather than quoting some bloke off the internet.

Time is easy, on cars registered before September 2010 - blanket 4 year interval. Cars registered after September 2010 - blanket 5 year interval.

Mileage is where the internet is not your friend. Use the web link in the previous post, quoting the VIN (the long number under the passenger side wiper blade).

As for pricing, it very much depends on where you live. Luckily I'm in the north. My local Skoda franchised dealer offers to price match. Found a local independent, asked for a quote using genuine VAG parts (cambelt and waterpump) for £340. Dealer matched it with the addition of a 2 year parts and labour warranty...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/403324-cambelt-waterpump-£340-at-a-main-dealer/

Was that DM Keith? Never taking my car back there....

Just to muddy the waters even more. I have been having my superb serviced both in the UK and Spain. I was informed by my local Skoda dealer that as my car was coming up to 5 years it was time to change the timing belt. As I was in Spain at the time I turned up at my local Skoda dealer who said it did not need changing, milage was only 50,000 and as far as they were concerned the 5 year limit did not apply in Spain. I called in the other day to see them and asked again about the timing belt. As luck would have it there was someone from Skoda Spain on a visit and they checked with him. He said the difference was temperature, in the northern climate the life of the belt is reduced while the warmer climes it is greatly extended. In fact their computer only listed distance, no mention of time. As I am moving back to Scotland I guess I will have to start thinking about a change, but not just yet my car has enjoyed 4 years of Spanish sun.

Was that DM Keith? Never taking my car back there....

No way, my car will never cross DM Keith's forecourt in York ever again. Badly let down by them not once but several times.

I now take it to Pulman Skoda in Durham as it's near work.

• Like 1

No way, my car will never cross DM Keith's forecourt in York ever again. Badly let down by them not once but several times.

I now take it to Pulman Skoda in Durham as it's near work.

Des Winks is my nearest dealer, in Scarborough

• Like 1

I submitted and enquiry to Skoda regarding the recommended Timing Belt change interval for my May 2010 CR140. .... response below:-

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the recommended interval for changing the timing belt on your vehicle. Please accept
my apologies for the delay in our response.

I can confirm that the ŠKODA recommendation for the timing belt change interval on your vehicle is every four years or 140,000
miles whichever comes first. There is no ŠKODA recommendation for the water pump to be changed.

Some of our Retailers recommend changing the water pump at the same time as the timing belt. This is as the water pump is driven
by the timing belt and is located in the same area of the engine bay; therefore any future issues with the water pump would
necessitate the same amount of labour as changing the timing belt. Changing the two components simultaneously is intended to
reduce the possibility of incurring further expense.

I hope this information proves useful. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on the number
below.

Thank you for contacting ŠKODA UK.

Kind regards

Daniel Morrice
Customer Relations Advisor

Hope that helps clarify the situation for May 2010 vehicles at least.

Dave

Sounds like a clear enough answer Dave. Smart move to ask and it costs nothing but some time.

I see they also say "Hope that helps clarify the situation for May 2010 vehicles at least." So if anyone with a 2014 Superb (like me) says it wrong - point them to that line. Or if anyone like my brother with his 15 year old Fabia says "definitely 3 years or 60,000 miles!", point them at that line too!   :p 

I added the "clarification" bit. Sorry if I confused you. I believe that the interval changed to 5yrs/140k later in 2010. It's easy to check - just email Skoda customer services with your VIN and they'll let you know.

Dave

I added the "clarification" bit. Sorry if I confused you. I believe that the interval changed to 5yrs/140k later in 2010. It's easy to check - just email Skoda customer services with your VIN and they'll let you know.

Dave

No worries - my mistake! It seems obvious now that I look at your post again.