Additional front light.

VRS Mike

Road bike or off road?

Personally I do not think you can beat purchasing an 18650 powered XML T6 led torch.

You know, the Chinese stuff. Loads on ebay.

I purchased one for around £7 inc delivery. It is 115mm long x 32mm width (head) / 25mm (body) and on full almost as much output as a car headlight, seriously.

With a decent battery will last circa 1hr on full. Has high, med, low, flash and sos.

Personally daytime (in poor light) use sos rather than flash as think this is more friendly to other road users than a fast flash.

The batteries can be had (6 off) from an old laptop battery with care and knowledge though, and you will need a L-ion charger circa £5/10.

I have a few now but the one mentioned is (almost) perfect as a torch and a bike light, with a top click button rather than in tail cap.

In the end I got a set of moon lights from eBay for £30. They are USB rechargeable and the front light is around 450 lumens. I think it's best to have two anyway in case one fails. First night ride tomorrow night to test it all out

In all honesty, you don't want a mega powerful light on your handlebars off road, it will create a much larger shadow on the ground and will give you a false impression of what lies ahead.  Around the 400-500 lumen mark should be ideal off road.

Sorry DPC but I would disagree with that. Maybe just personal preference though.

Prefer that output on my head for closer viewing where you really have to concentrate just in front of you during slower / trickier riding, and the high power on my bars for when looking further ahead / riding faster.

Tried the higher power on my helmet but got neck ache having to keep my head up rather than being able to just glance up.

the sections we were riding you couldn't look that far in front as you really needed to concentrate on directly in front. My handle bar light was really good, I'm really happy with it. My head light was also good although it lost charge about 10 mins from the end of the ride. I need to read the manual as I'm not sure it was completely dead, or was just warning it was getting low.

the sections we were riding you couldn't look that far in front as you really needed to concentrate on directly in front. My handle bar light was really good, I'm really happy with it. My head light was also good although it lost charge about 10 mins from the end of the ride. I need to read the manual as I'm not sure it was completely dead, or was just warning it was getting low.

If your head light is new, the batteries will probably take a few charges before reaching full capacity iirc.

But yes, read the manual too.

Enjoy it???

Sorry DPC but I would disagree with that. Maybe just personal preference though.

Prefer that output on my head for closer viewing where you really have to concentrate just in front of you during slower / trickier riding, and the high power on my bars for when looking further ahead / riding faster.

Tried the higher power on my helmet but got neck ache having to keep my head up rather than being able to just glance up.

I'm the same, I've been trying different setups - I now have a double XML2 light on my bars which gives a nice wide beam and then a single XML2 torch light on my helmet to give a more focused spot light.  I like the torch design as it's easy to move between different positions or to different bikes, we have a local group ride on a Thursday night and people are frequently caught out with lights either not having something suitable or running out of power which is no good in the middle of a dark forest.  So I take a few XML2 torches and bar mounts with me so I'm not stuck if I have any failures myself or more commonly, can lend them to others if they're stuck.

John

• Like 1

I'm the same, I've been trying different setups - I now have a double XML2 light on my bars which gives a nice wide beam and then a single XML2 torch light on my helmet to give a more focused spot light.  I like the torch design as it's easy to move between different positions or to different bikes, we have a local group ride on a Thursday night and people are frequently caught out with lights either not having something suitable or running out of power which is no good in the middle of a dark forest.  So I take a few XML2 torches and bar mounts with me so I'm not stuck if I have any failures myself or more commonly, can lend them to others if they're stuck.

John

So long as I have not mixed up my labelling, I find the T6 gives a much better colour output than the U2 led.

I have both and definitely prefer the T6, although they have similar output. Both very bright on full, but I find the U2 gives, like a very slightly foggy atmosphere feeling, / more light being reflected back at you, is the best way I can explain it.

XML2 is the series name, not the LED rating - XML2 is the newer, slightly more power efficient version  of the XML1 series while U2/T6 are the individual gradings within those series.   The difference between T6 and U2 is simply power level. they're the same LEDs but binned at different outputs similar to processors so any difference in characteristics is likely to be coming from the driver attached to the LED or the reflector it's housed in.  

John

Edited by JohnMcL7

XML2 is the series name, not the LED rating - XML2 is the newer, slightly more power efficient version  of the XML1 series while U2/T6 are the individual gradings within those series.   The difference between T6 and U2 is simply power level. they're the same LEDs but binned at different outputs similar to processors so any difference in characteristics is likely to be coming from the driver attached to the LED or the reflector it's housed in.  

John

You beat me to correcting my info, or at least realising you probably were talking about the XM-L2 T6.

I did think the U2 and T6 were different led's though. My U2 definitely give a bluer light colour output versus the whiter T6, especially in the main central beam area.

This is a useful page for Cree LEDs that has the details for each series and the individual leds in the range:

http://flashlightwiki.com/Cree

I have the same body and driver with XML-T6, XML-U2, XML-U3 and XML2-T6 and they're much the same while I have a different body/driver also using XML2-T6 LEDs but a more neutral colour to the torch bodies using the same XML2-T6 LED.  There's possibly also variations in manufacture for the cheap Chinese lights.

John

Edited by JohnMcL7

Sad, I know, but I have just watched a video showing the differences and at the end the lady says " Thanks for watching and I apologise for my 5hitty English, Lol.

I may peruse your link later, maybe on a rainy day.

Cheers.

As you say to which light we have and where we use them, we all have our personal preference, it can also make a difference as to the type of terrain you are riding & your riding style.

When I'm off road I run a moon xp550 on my handlebars (set to around 300lumen) & I have an old niterider 650 on my helmet (could really do with replacing it).  Most of my off road/night riding is around Langsett/Ladybower, lots of loose stone/rocks to contend with & some long fast decents, a little woodland riding too.

I certainly wouldn't claim you must have a powerful light on the bars, I tend to rely on the helmet light more and when running 24 hour races just have the bar light running dim ready in case something happens to the helmet light.   However I wouldn't agree that it's a disadvantage to have a more powerful light on the bars in terms of the beam pattern/shadow,  I used to run a 5 x XML-T6 bar light when I had issues using a helmet light and currently using a 1200 lumen dual XML2-T6 light, no shadow issues with either:

The additional power isn't so much brightness but more to produce a wider beam since unlike a helmet light, the bars may not be pointing in the right direction.

Amusingly this is the only light I had when I started night riding:

http://www.cateye.com/intl/products/detail/HL-EL600RC/

Aside from being weak, the batterylife was hopeless on it as well, I also noticed they had this bargain basement light:

http://www.cateye.com/intl/products/detail/HL-EL6000RC/moreinfo/

John

Edited by JohnMcL7

Probably inc the Garmin edge 1000 /Garmin front lights/ Garmin radar / Garmin heads up display. Probably £1000 worth of kit.

Depends really, I have the Garmin 1000 which I had off a site for around £200 as it was an ex demo unit. The lights I also had on the cheap from Ebay. Front varia was £75 second hand and the radar unit on the rear was also second hand at £80 so not too much compared to other makes at full price.

Nice bargain hunting there, I got the radar unit full price when it came out but I find it fantastic for the road bike and don't regret it at all.

John

I too, absolute love the radar unit as it makes me feel a lot better knowing something is approaching when I can't look round. Just picked up a rear varia light off Evans with no box or mounts (can use the existing mounts) for £32 posted!

You might wonder why I need this! The radar is great but a light unit for when I go to my local race track (mallory park) for winter cycling means I don't have to fiddle with the radar settings.

• Like 1

going for a night ride tonight, I'm actually thinking of having both front lights on the bar. I went out the other evening and found the beam on my main light is quiet wide, and I'm not sure there is much benefit having it mounted to my helmet.

going for a night ride tonight, I'm actually thinking of having both front lights on the bar. I went out the other evening and found the beam on my main light is quiet wide, and I'm not sure there is much benefit having it mounted to my helmet.

Depends if you do any stupid riding like we used to do.

ie, over a very steep train line embankment at a circa 60° drop off, with an old (unused) track about one metre away when you hit the bottom.

The embankment is about the height of a rooftop.

You need to be able to look down first and with lights on bars only you would not be able to do this.

I eventually plucked up the courage to do this on my third visit and managed it quite well and without incident. Having said that I made my mind up there and then that I would not be trying my luck again. I was happy that once was enough! Lol.

It doesn't help when someone says one of the guys (not present) totalled both himself and his bike on his attempt.