Upgrade from Bolero to Columbus

Guys,

A bit of a newbie question here, but if someone can shed some light it would be much appreciated before I buy the equipment.

Currently have a Bolero head unit, with Bluetooth module under the drivers seat, however the module is on rSAP compatible. So I am going to upgrade it.

I have Maxi-Dot and a MFSW fitted.

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me, would it be a straight swap to upgrade to the newer module? The model I am looking at is the 7P6 one.

Further to this, I am also looking at upgrading the head unit from the standard bolero to a Columbus RNS510 Sat Nav unit which is for sale on here.

Would they both just simply Plug & Play, or would they require coding to the car for them to function correctly? I'm getting mixed answers by reading some forums so can anyone give me a definitive answer please?

Also, would the new head unit mean I need to source a new surround?

Thanks in advance for any help! :-)

You'll need the Columbus coding to the car so it works properly. You'll also need a new surround.

As for the Bluetooth module, depending on the current one there might be more to it than just a straight swap. Your old one might just be mono (plays out of the right hand side speakers) and the new one will be stereo, so the whole loom will need to be changed for the new one to work to its full extent. If the old one is factory fit then the wires will be soldered / connected into the wiring loom and you'll either have to use the new loom (if supplied) and run all the wiring to the head unit and microphone, or cut and resolder the old and new to suit.

I had a Bluetooth / Columbus deal up until a few days ago, but the Bluetooth sold to a mate of mine unfortunately.

You should always code new modules when fitting to your car, so yes, both the BT and Columbus will need coding.

They may work without having the coding changed but that doesn't mean they are fitted correctly, especially when it comes to EQ and amplifier settings.

With maxidot and a MFSW in a FL Octavia, a 3C8 035 730 D or 3C8 035 730 E are the most fully featured options.

If you fit a Columbus, you will need a new surround :)

edit: Rustynuts beat me to it ;)

Edited by langers2k