DSG gearbox re-map?

citori

Hello everybody.

I have a 2011 1.6 diesel Octavia and was considering a DSG re-map. Has anybody any experience of this?

The main issue I have is that it tries to change up all the time, especially at lower speeds. I find that it tries to change up to top gear (7th) when only doing about 35-40mph and then it's often reluctant to change down again. This seems to make the engine labour and the car boom. O.K. you can move the lever over an knock it down a couple of gears but it's supposed to be an automatic! :-) The car is fine if you are pushing on a bit and on faster roads, it's just in relatively slow moving traffic this becomes annoying and TBH that's when the auto box should be at it's best. 

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I should add that I have tried leaving it in sport mode, but i find although this resolves the problem, it's too agresive and holds on to the gears too long for normal town driving.

Edited by citori

I have the 6-speed DSG with the 2-litre (170) CR engine but I agree with all you say.  On a light throttle mine changes up to 5th at 32mph and 6th at 38mph.  Exactly why I would never buy a DSG-equipped car without the steering wheel paddles.

The changing up to 5th at 32mph was particularly annoying when driving during an IAM assessment drive as it made it obvious when I slightly exceeded the 30mph limit!

Edited by philbes

I don't have any experience of anything available but interested to hear feedback on stand alone DSG control remaps and what they are like.

I've got the 6 speed with a vRS 2.0TSI and it is the same under light throttle with up changes. Although, I would have to say, it does drop back fairly readily with a little increased throttle and steering wheel controls do help per previous poster too. Presumably it is an economy drive to upshift so quickly.

There must be some software calibrations VWAG employ at production that are different between different engine / car combinations that affect responses.   I had a twin charged golf 1.4 tsi and that dropped into top even more quickly and seemed even more reluctant to change back without a lot of throttle.  This didn't have steering wheel controls and I found it more annoying at times but did end up getting used to it a bit.

The sport mode is disappointing in all the DSGs I have ever driven. It has always been way way too aggressive and for that reason is hardly ever used by anyone I've spoken to, including myself..

Cannot help with the O P question but...................mine too. Same issues.

I have tried a reset, but soon reverts to changing up too early and sometimes just as you start a hill climb too, at 30mph into 5th.

Have started using the 'semi' part more often now, but the changes are not quite as smooth.

Just after I'd bought my 1.4 tsi dsg I'm thinking "why am I doing 3000 rpm at 30 on the way back from the Co-Op? Oh it's in sport mode..."

I don't mind mine changing up - it seems to make sensible choices, or I can get it to drop a gear by tapping the accelerator. But it gets a bit confused at roundabouts sometimes - if I want to get a move on from slow speed it sometimes wants to drop down first, taking extra time. I've experimented with knocking the lever over to manual when I've slowed down, so I can pull off in the same gear. Not done it enough yet to get a good feel for it.

I can understand why it is made to do this. It's no doubt all in an attempt to get maximum MPG and minimum emissions. Ie, get it into top as soon as possible and increase the MPG. But unfortunately it doesn't help the driving experience. I don't want to turn it in to a race car, just some kind of setting between normal drive and sport mode would be nice..

I want this too, at the moment a DSG map isn't available for the later DQ250 DSG gearboxes :-(

So, seeing yours is a 16 plate, Skoda haven't learnt and adjusted the gear change timings then?

People must have mentioned or complained about this issue. Mine is a 55 plate and very same issue.

As citori says, changes with some happy medium between normal mode and sport mode would be great.

Sport mode on mine is like thrashing the living daylights out of it, or like driving a company van, Lol.

Edit, yours would not be an Octavia II though?

Edited by Tilt

Erm,

98,000 plus on our 2010 1.6TDI DSG, and apart from the lack of finesse during  low speed manouvering, its gear selection is impeccably correct, even when towing in excess of permitted loads, I mention this since it tells me the transmission control alogrythm takes account of the loads/loadings present.

Nor have I ever managed to confuse it into incorrect gear selection, but intuitively understand this is probably due to persons attempting to emulate Walter Rorhl on the pedals.

i.e "mixed messages", the transmission does not know whether you want to accelerate or decellerate, make your mind up please!

Keep it smooth and predictable.

Marcus 

So, seeing yours is a 16 plate, Skoda haven't learnt and adjusted the gear change timings then?

You're right, no improvement has been made on the mk3 - but then it's programmed for economy and durability.

Sport mode on mine is like thrashing the living daylights out of it, or like driving a company van, Lol.

Absolutely spot on Edited by xpower

You're right, no improvement has been made on the mk3 - but then it's programmed for economy and durability.

Absolutely spot on

It seems that nearly all of the current 6-speed DSG's have the wide ratio / Overdrive top gear set-up as per my 6 year old EOS, which is theoretically more economical, but blunts the performance & has less flexibility with regard to which ratio is " best" for a particular speed range.

Our old vRS Octy 2 & my old Superb had the shorter geared setup, as has the Superb 280 & the Golf R.  Less relaxed at high speeds perhaps, but much more responsive.

We are lucky, we can pick, choose & compare the different set-ups since we usually have a choice of vehicle to bimble around in, but although I like the EOS as a runabout, especially when the sun is shining, there are days when

it never get's into 6th!  

(A combination of country roads with silly speed limits, & app 50 mph is about when it shifts up on a light throttle. Then again, 90mph cruising is app 2900 rpm's.......)

DC 

I have a 1.6TDI DSG too and I don't find it annoying about how it changes up or down. I only wish it had a bit more responsiveness when picking up from standstill.

Re. the Sport mode, I only use it (and find it useful) when driving long downhill sections 'cause it enables a bit more of engine brake. Obviously it doesn't work always for it depends on the steepness of the road but when it's right, it's very convenient.