Vrs woes, fuel pump?

Beowulf

Hi All,

I'm having a bit of bother with my 2001 Vrs. It broke down a couple of times out on the road but restarted when I reset the ignition. Now It fails in the driveway. The engine will start, Idle and rev happily for a couple of minutes then the fuel pump shuts down. It will start again if I reset the ignition (take the key out and trip the alarm, I have the little socket on the dash that you poke a fob into.) but the pump will stop again after a minute or so. I have checked the fuses and all seems ok, I have replaced the 409 relay too, but no change. I have noticed that the secondary air pump doesn't seem to start either. The car has been idle most of the year. Am I missing something? Is the pump dead? I have a P0171 and P1296 error code.  

I hope maybe somebody here may be able to help.

Cheers,

Beowulf

Hi,

Bit of an update.

Something is shutting the fuel pump down. If I let it idle it lasts about a minute, if I fast idle (3000 rpm) it lasts significantly longer, enough to warm the engine. Crank sensor? I tried disconnecting the maf, no difference. I understand that if the Maf is disconnected the ECU loads a default setting and as such would not stop the engine, hope I'm right. As for the alarm, Selca, I can't find any install instructions on the net. I wouldn't know where to start. I would add, I've had this car for about 5 years and 90,000 miles and up to now its been as good as gold. 

I'd be looking at the immobiliser being at fault first of all. If you have to, get an auto electrician to disconnect or bypass it to rule it out  :thumbup:

Unless you have an idea what to look for you wont be able to do it, all the wiring related to the aftermarket immobiliser will be black.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who replied, The problem was finally solved yesterday, there was a broken wire behind the fusebox It was spliced into the alarm. So the alarm was at fault but not operationally. the alarm harness had been 'stuffed' in behind the relay plate, it has now been secured in place so hopefully that's it. The car goes really well now, enjoying all of the new parts it has had. :-)  All I have to do now is replace a couple of the capless filaments in the high level brake light and we're good. Any idea as to the part number of said items?

Cheers.  

If it is a hatch, then any decent auto factor should keep them, but if it is an estate, it is a replacement complete led unit as it is not easily serviced.

Edited by kentphil1