Eml on 1.4tsi CAVE engine failure

FabiaVRS5j

Evening peeps

Well I'm new on here and this is my first post. So about three weeks ago i was in a car park engine idling and out of the car, upon my return my eml came on and once I started to drive a light clatter was heard from the engine bay then it went into limp mode.

I drove to my workshop and plugged my autel on pulling up fault codes for camshaft and crankshaft, also it was idling rough and popping. Fearing the worst my chain has jumped.

The AA came and towed me to my local dealer who later that week confirmed the chain had stretched and jumped a tooth on the exhaust pulley putting my timing out. This resulted in needing a new chain and tensioner, but also advised a new engine as unseen damaged may have occurred. It has done 68k fully serviced from new by the same dealer and is an '11 plate.

So my dealer contacted skoda UK and after a week granted factory goodwill 100% parts and 70% labour so a 30% labour bill to me of £655.22incl

Not bad for a new factory engine hey ???? the moral of the story is not aLL dealers are bad and I got great service and support from the manufacturer so if you have the same problem maybe call them first!

Picking her up tomorrow!!!

Edited by FabiaVRS5j
  • Like 2

Great result.

I must bump vrskeiths 'Constant treatment thread' because many here are not getting that, and some owners of even newer twinchargers are getting messed around by Skoda UK.

Please add your car to the post up top in the pinned thread or the Twincharger Engine failure thread if you see it.

Evening peeps

Well I'm new on here and this is my first post. So about three weeks ago i was in a car park engine idling and out of the car, upon my return my eml came on and once I started to drive a light clatter was heard from the engine bay then it went into limp mode.

I drove to my workshop and plugged my autel on pulling up fault codes for camshaft and crankshaft, also it was idling rough and popping. Fearing the worst my chain has jumped.

The AA came and towed me to my local dealer who later that week confirmed the chain had stretched and jumped a tooth on the exhaust pulley putting my timing out. This resulted in needing a new chain and tensioner, but also advised a new engine as unseen damaged may have occurred. It has done 68k fully serviced from new by the same dealer and is an '11 plate.

So my dealer contacted skoda UK and after a week granted factory goodwill 100% parts and 70% labour so a 30% labour bill to me of £655.22incl

Not bad for a new factory engine hey ???? the moral of the story is not aLL dealers are bad and I got great service and support from the manufacturer so if you have the same problem maybe call them first!

Picking her up tomorrow!!!

OMG. This is so far removed from my experience it is ridiculous! I have literally been exchanging calls and emails with Skoda customer services and my Skoda garage for 3 weeks now! They haven't offered me anywhere near that goodwill!

Would you be so kind as to share your case reference with me? Or perhaps your reg? You can PM me of course.

My car has done 35k with a full Skoda service history and requires an engine due to a broken valve.

If the new engine is a full new engine then that is great news to hear, It will mainly be down to the full service history with the same dealership, so that would have went in your favour im sure.

Edit: oh and welcome! stick around, im sure you'll see plenty of others getting far worse treatment, i see it almost daily.

Edited by hutchysrs50

If anyone's engine failed that had had a remap, do you think Skoda would be likely to turn around and not offer a penny of good will? Wash their hands of it sort of thing?

Most definitely, you've tampered with the engine which would void the warranty so they would use that as an excuse not to pay out.

But they have replaced engines under warranty where there was a remap of the ECU.

But they are entitled to reject any warranty claim where it has non factory approved engine management.

They have also rejected claims where a check of the ECU showed a remap.

But then Skoda Dealers sell 'Skoda Approved Used Cars' without applying the latest Software or putting setting back to Factory Settings or sometimes even servicing 

if the service is not due.

Some buyers rejected cars that Skoda UK rejected Warranty claims on.   All part of the farce really.

As an example of a warranty claim rejected due to a used car previously having been remapped see post #19

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-12tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

Edited by Offski

Most definitely, you've tampered with the engine which would void the warranty so they would use that as an excuse not to pay out.

Thought that would be the case. Just wondering that in the case my engine goes pop at some point (2011 CAVE, 64k miles) if Skoda would offer any contribution towards a new engine or whatever! Been mapped for around 25-30k of those miles I should think.

Everyone can have a different experience and outcome.

Some ECUs are investigated and others not.  Then there are different Dealerships and attitudes and behaviours.  Luck of the draw.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/348086-vrs-engine-death

This ended up with a fixed car that was rather quick last time i saw it.

A Remap voids a Skoda Approved Used Warranty and the latest Warranty you can buy from Skoda.

Edited by Offski

• 4 months later...

Hey guys been a while sorry! The engine is running fine and yes it was a nee complete engine they fitted. I have full skoda history from new with the same dealer that the car was bought from olus i have 5 cars/good relationship with the dealer.

• Like 1