EGR Delete DPF Removal + Remap!?

Ardle

There have been plenty of previous threads on this. Rather than getting a few responses to this if you use the Search facility on here, you can while away a few hours on those threads to your hearts content.

I don't do much motorway driving and I had issues with my 2008 PD170 VRS, so when I got a newer 2013 CR170 VRS, I got the DPF gutted and EGR blanked off, in addition to remapping it to 210BPH.  With K&N Air Induction Kit and BP Ultimate Diesel, DPF gut out and EGR removal it would have boosted to 220BHP (or possibly more).  It's got tons of power on tap and is night and day in performance, whilst giving a very smooth drive.

Downside is trying to get car insurance!  Stock VRS would have been £333 for year, but a lot of Insurance companies had ruled remapping out straight off.  Some did, but my remap had well exceeded their increase limits....  Adrian Flux was able to get the cheapest at £460.  However, with no more DPF clogging issues and a smoother drive, it's well worth the extra cost.

What sort of mileage are you on?

The EGR's are well known for being problematic, the DPF's on all VAG CR engines are much improved and rarely give issues these days so I'd focus on the EGR and leave the DPF in place.

174,000mls, egr was already replaced(possibly spurious)at 135,000mls... The code is P0403... Which seems to be pointing towards solenoid valves, bad connection, fraid wires etc etc rather than an actual clogged EGR.. I like the sound of gutting the DPF so leaving it visible,.. Options I've been given have been to cut it out and straight pipe.. I don't want that!?

If I get EGR delete + remap then wILL DPF Not be under more pressure or have too much soot, particles etc etc coming through it's filters!? Hence throwing up DPF lights and fault codes..

Yep, at 174K your DPF will be well towards the end of its life.

A higher performance map will certainly put extra pressure on the DPF in terms of soot content.

Assuming the MOT equivalent over in Ireland (NCT?) is similar to over here a straight-through pipe is not a good idea. This offers the MOT tester a visual confirmation that the DPF is missing which is grounds for a failure.

Leaving the DPF in place and removing the internals makes it harder to spot and thus less likely to fail.