Odd electronic ringing?

At a junction earlier, I realised I was in the wrong lane and went to change lanes. I was a bit hurried and stalled on full lock. When I restarted there was a noise that I can only describe as being like an electronic ringing like an alarm clock or an old phone.

It was definitely coming from the car not anything else like a phone.

This carried on till we pulled into the supermarket car park about three minutes later, and was still going when we left the car. It wasn't audible outside the car.

When we came back about 15 minutes later it had stopped and the car drove normally all the way back. No warning lights at all.

Any idea what this was?

That is a bit odd.. I have stalled mine probably 1/2 dozen times since owning it usually in 2nd or because I have slipped it into 3rd rather 1st..

I dont get the audible sound youve mentioned. When I had the car first it kept cutting out (BCU fault) which affected the steering brakes and throttle and again no audible sound like described.. Just the usual battery symbol, seat belt symbol and the like.

The only sound that I can think of like the one you described is tbe 'you've not put your seat belt on' warning.

Hopefully someone will come along with the answer

I see you have an Elegance, so maybe a Columbus too (not sure about 2012 and UK specs)?

I had mine let out a kind of bell like "warble" when I had it turned on and the car didn't start successfully (2nd day of ownership and a battery was marginal). The effect would have been a bit like stalling the car. I only killed it by turning off the ignition.  It wasn't that the car was warning me of anything - I thought it was the Columbus having an electronic brain fart from the power fluctuation. Ignition off then on again and its been fine since (new battery from the dealer helped!).

• 3 weeks later...