Flashing handbrake light - just low fluid or worse?

Hi Everyone,

Came home the other day to be told by the Mrs that the handbrake light flashed 3 times and beeped when she was stopped. I then drove the car another day or two (covering quite a distance) without it coming back on, so unable to diagnose totally the problem. I had read that this is either handbrake on warning or low fluid. It's the wrong kind of sound for the handbrake so must be the low brake fluid......but

It is very intermittent, and not always when braking/using the handbrake. It normally happens on a downhill stretch of road even when not using brakes (never understand people who cant engine brake to maintain a constant speed downhill!). It has also popped on when being spirited round a roundabout. Normally just the 3 flashes then off. Apart from just now on the way back home when it did 3 beeps then proceeded to flash for a good 10-15 times, though it is a gentle downhill slope into my village which may not have helped.

Now the issue is, I can't for the life of me see any markers on the fluid reservoir to say where the full mark is? When removing the cap there is just the tiny tube like hole, does this sit at the same level as the rest of the reservoir or is this the fill tube down to the main area? It wasn't the best light but it did look a little grey and murky rather than red. But no idea where it should be filled to.

But that then begs the questions, why is it low? Is the reservoir also for PAS or/and clutch?

Also, if stopped with the engine running and I pump up the brake pedal, it sinks back to near the floor from stiff in 4-5 seconds, I assume this is normal with Diesels and servo pumps? Or is there some kind of bleed through issue that's causing the low fluid (if it is that).

If anyone has previous experience, or can point out the fill level mark it would help a lot! Sadly I'm about 60 miles from the only garage I trust with my car, so need to be reasonably certain before 'popping over' on a hunch.

Thanks in advance all.

Rob

Unless you have prior knowledge of when the reservoir was last filled and to what level it's probably best to say it's just normal brake wear that has dropped the level of fluid in the reservoir as more is sitting in the calipers.

At this point the level is just low enough to trigger the alarm when the vehicle is tilted a certain way or the fluid sloshes around when cornering.

By all means check the brake lines and calipers for signs of leaks and discs/pads for excessive wear.

It is a poor design having the reservoir tucked so far back you cannot see the level lines on it.

Top up with fluid and see how it goes.

The reservoir feeds both the brakes and clutch. The steering is electrically powered.

Certainly I have found the brake pedal on mine run out of servo assistance after a few pumps and can creep down with prolonged pressure. No leaks so I must assume air somewhere.

Edited by MicMac

I would check the pads and disks for wear which would lower the fluid level. Replace them if required. I recently did mine with Pagid disks and pads from ECP.

As it is "murky", it may be worth replacing the brake fluid with new stuff also and fill to correct level. Do this after disk/pad replacement if these need replaced.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Going by what I could see in the "tube" part of the reservoir its probably just low fluid. Brakes were changed about a year ago, though I never seem to wear brakes out (thats my first set on a car in the last 10 years of driving!). But I guess I shall go for the top-up today and then see how it goes. Its due in for a service (every 4 months ;) ) and a cambelt change next month so the fluid will be changed then.

Thanks all for your help and getting back to me so quickly!

Right, small update time:

Managed to pick up a bottle of dot4 today (well done Wilco for being open and half the price of halfrauds for the same bottle!).

To top up to full took about 200-250ml, seemed rather a lot. Check out front brake pad wear too, as they do seem to chuck out an awful lot of dust (especially after the Mrs has been driving, she has the habit of knocking it into neutral and braking). There seems to be around 8-10mm of friction material left (not inc backplate bit). Which doesn't seem to be too much less than when new. (possibly 12-15mm?) would that have caused to much more fluid to be needed?

As for checking the level, it was a bit of guesswork along with using the ebay picture for reference, due to the wiring loom and bulkhead location there's no way you can see the markers! Will see how it all goes now.