Red oil light

Thanks for the reply.

Any idea were the sensor would be to check and how would a check the sensor thanks

I don't know where the sensor is, but have a look at it and the wiring. When some fail oil leaks through into the electrical connector. Changing it would be one way to test it.

The sensor is on the right hand side of the engine. Google it. You can't actually see it without removing loads of items but it is possible to feel and remove. I changed mine earlier this year. Think the sensor was less then £30 from TPS.

Hi all got a red oil light coming on then goes out no difference in car performance just last night the light came on 8 times.

Any suggestions thanks graeme

I assume you have checked your cars oil level? Some do overlook the most obvious things to check, not saying this is the case though!

Probably need to start a new post but thought I'd first piggyback this thread with an orange oil light question. It's started to flash for the first 5 secs after starting - I appreciate that it's a level warning, but the level is fine. In fact I've topped up to max (plus a tiny bit more) , but still the light flashes.

Not too concerned as the oil is new, to level and red light goes straight off, but wondered if anyone has had experience of this.

2006 2.00 TDI; 175k of my miles from new.

What oil have you been using, what mileage and what change frequency?

I'd certainly be getting the sump dropped and the pickup pipe checked and strainer cleaned out.

It could just be an iffy sensor, but frankly low oil pressure is so damaging I also wouldn't be taking the chance.

Something worth checking if you've not being using top quality oil filters is the filter itself.

Easy to remove and replace and some of them do fall apart.

Oils from TPS oil change every 6 months for taxi test + filters.

The only problem a have got is a need a 5mm ball end Allen key long reach socket for sump bolts but of good quality a snapped mine the last time a took sump off to clean as a put a new turbo on.

Thanks

Halfords sell them and they're pretty good quality too for the money, although you're probably better off with an Allen key socket set no?

Have you inspected the wiring to the sensor, as if it was replaced a few months ago and is faulting now, damaged wiring could be an issue.

Also you mention TPS oil, but which one? VW507 spec oil (or VW506.1 spec oil) or a fixed interval oil, such as VW505.1?

You were doing the changes every 10k miles as being a taxi you could easily do more than that in 6 months.

If not drop the sump and have the filter gauze changed or cleaned.

Might be worth doing that, flushing it, then doing it again as a lot of crud could build up.

Do check the oil filter and pressure release on it too though.

Could anyone suggest another tool for the 4 Allen key bolts that's really awkward to get to on the sump as trying to find one Allen key ball end socket is hard to get without buying a full set.

A no it's 5mm but if anyone has devised another way of getting them out with some other way would be interesting to no.

Cheers