Long drive way reverse using Park Assist.

decuk

We haven't got our Yeti yet, of which my wife will be driving as I've surrendered my licence on medical grounds I've been explaining park assist. It came to mind that we have a long and at one point very narrow drive between 2 houses. Should it just keep reversing along that route using the steering until she stops manually. There was around 50mm each side of the mirrors on my Octy. But I didn't have assist.

The problem you might have is getting the car to detect the gap between the two houses as a 'parking space' , you'll need to drive close to the gap for it to be detected. But once the gap is detected, the Yeti will drive you all the way to the end until you stop.

• Like 1

The problem you might have is getting the car to detect the gap between the two houses as a 'parking space' , you'll need to drive close to the gap for it to be detected. But once the gap is detected, the Yeti will drive you all the way to the end until you stop.

I think you need to drive at right angles to the gap, then past it and then let the car take control, if you want the car to do it automatically. If you reverse up to the gap you could get the sensors to see the gap and give you warnings but at that close distance on either side I'd think it would be going crazy.

• Like 1

I think you need to drive at right angles to the gap

Exactly, which is probably not possible unless you can drive close to the two houses, but once the gap (space) is detected the car will carry on reversing regardless of how long the drive is because it doesn't know how fast or slow you're driving or the distance you've traveled .

I have tried this but it will only go in the drive and said stop I think the drive is to narrow as I have to drive between two walls and I have to fold both wing mirrors in to get it in the garage I can only drive it in forwards, as the garage protrude out by about 1 foot and I can not get the lock on to get it in the garage in reverse

• Like 1

I have tried this but it will only go in the drive and said stop I think the drive is to narrow as I have to drive between two walls and I have to fold both wing mirrors in to get it in the garage I can only drive it in forwards, as the garage protrude out by about 1 foot and I can not get the lock on to get it in the garage in reverse

Yes if the gap is too narrow the car won't recognize it as a suitable parking space  :sweat:

Thanks "Vale". You've answered my question. The new car isn't due till November, but trying to answer all questions before I'm asked...My other half never drove any of my 3 Octavia's.Is currently driving a 09 Seat. She will be the driver of the Yeti, so technology will come as a shock I think.

Thanks "Vale". You've answered my question. The new car isn't due till November, but trying to answer all questions before I'm asked...My other half never drove any of my 3 Octavia's.Is currently driving a 09 Seat. She will be the driver of the Yeti, so technology will come as a shock I think.

I feel for you both, you certainly have a problem there.

To be honest, the one feature in the L&K which is completely pointless is the park assist. I too have a fairly narrow drive and the side sensors sound constantly and are a real irritation. You will find yourself switching the sensors off when reversing on the driveway.

To be honest, the one feature in the L&K which is completely pointless is the park assist. I too have a fairly narrow drive and the side sensors sound constantly and are a real irritation. You will find yourself switching the sensors off when reversing on the driveway.

Actually not pointless. The Park Assist does what it's name implies - it parks the car in normal car parking spaces, whether parallel parking or bay parking. It was never intended to reverse the car down long or winding narrow driveways. Though whether it's reverse parking into supermarket parking bays is useful is a real debate, why on earth would you reverse into a supermarket parking bay and then have to offload the trolley at the front of the car and manhandle all the shopping down the side of the car and load it into the boot? That is if you have space at the back of the car to open the boot and stand to load the shopping, as often as not the car behind is so close that there is not the space to stand there anyway. As my wife says - only a man would think it sane to reverse into a supermarket parking space!

• Like 1

Actually not pointless. The Park Assist does what it's name implies - it parks the car in normal car parking spaces, whether parallel parking or bay parking. It was never intended to reverse the car down long or winding narrow driveways. Though whether it's reverse parking into supermarket parking bays is useful is a real debate, why on earth would you reverse into a supermarket parking bay and then have to offload the trolley at the front of the car and manhandle all the shopping down the side of the car and load it into the boot? That is if you have space at the back of the car to open the boot and stand to load the shopping, as often as not the car behind is so close that there is not the space to stand there anyway. As my wife says - only a man would think it sane to reverse into a supermarket parking space!

Cough!

Some supermarkets have walkways between the rows of cars.

However in general I do agree with you.

In this part of the world 'trucks' have infested the supermarket parking areas and reversing IN is safer than OUT.

It's been argued to death before.

I reverse everywhere because I know what's around me and to me it's logical..........if safely is a priority that is.

Depends on individual circumstances of course.

Cough!

Some supermarkets have walkways between the rows of cars.

However in general I do agree with you.

Yes, in that instance there is an argument for reversing. However, the best parking method by far is 'herringbone' style bays, then all the traffic is one way and it is simple to pull into a bay and equally simple to reverse out. Slowly becoming more common but I don't understand why it's not universal.

Yes, in that instance there is an argument for reversing. However, the best parking method by far is 'herringbone' style bays, then all the traffic is one way and it is simple to pull into a bay and equally simple to reverse out. Slowly becoming more common but I don't understand why it's not universal.

Until some arse decides that the "one way system" doesn't apply to them and drives the wrong way!

By pointless, I mean if you can't navigate a car into a parking space you probably shouldn't be driving. Rear and even front parking sensors - fair enough - visibility in cars isn't as good as it used to be. I can park in a far tighter space than the park assist allows, as I suspect could any competent driver. However - perhaps I'm just old fashioned.

Edited by Falmouthboy
  • Like 4

Unfortunately more and more of that technology is being introduced.

Lane assist, traffic jam assist, etc., etc.

Over time drivers will become less and less skilful in the art of driving and lazier.

I know some technology makes driving less stressful in heavy traffic i.e. automatics with automatic parking brakes/hill hold etc.but I still get a lot of satisfaction from driving a manual with a proper handbrake.

I've had autos though and enjoyed them.

• Like 2

Unfortunately more and more of that technology is being introduced.

Lane assist, traffic jam assist, etc., etc.

Over time drivers will become less and less skilful in the art of driving and lazier.

I know some technology makes driving less stressful in heavy traffic i.e. automatics with automatic parking brakes/hill hold etc.but I still get a lot of satisfaction from driving a manual with a proper handbrake.

I've had autos though and enjoyed them.

Driving is now not thought of as a skill to be learned and honed but as a chore, the 'safety' technology replaces the skill and experience every driver should acquire over time. If the new technology was to be used as an adjunct to driver experience it would be a valuable assistance, sadly it will replace driver experience and the roads will gradually become less safe - especially in extreme situations.

I drive autos because on modern roads and traffic it doesn't make much sense to clutch,clutch, clutch when an auto box does it just as well.

We are in a transition stage to driverless traffic and the only imponderable is the 'driver' who interferes.

That's why it's going to be illegal.........eventually

Personally I find the park Asst a complete waste of time and money,after having to reverse all my driving life using mirrors it takes me more time thinking how many times to press the pa button,indicators etc etc it's easier for me to do it the way I always have but I do find the sensors and camera a great assistance, and swmbo does not have an idea of how to activate pa so continues to drive in and reverse out(no comment) and if she did attempt to use the pa and hit something ,whose fault would it be? but I do wonder how many "drivers" actually use the pa on a regular basis and is it just an age thing?

Edited by Sad555
  • Like 1

It's actually not about giving you, the driver something for your benefit - it's field testing the systems which will replace you....like lane departure and auto braking.

Worry about the bright young ones around you who are/will use the systems to enable maintenance of the twitter conversations ......!

• Like 1

I have an L&K with Park Assist. Our drive is bordered by shrubs and it bleeps and bongs all the way down when reversing. This I don't mind but what I do mind is that it also bleeps when it detects the curb on the opposite side of the road when I exit the drive even when it is many feet away. I have therefor conditioned myself to ignore it under these circumstances. As you have probably already guessed I backed straight into a car parked opposite our drive; very little damage to Yeti but quite a lot to the other car. My previous Rav 4 only bleeped at the back and always for a good reason so I never ignored it. Moral? Look where you are going!

I have an L&K with Park Assist. Our drive is bordered by shrubs and it bleeps and bongs all the way down when reversing. This I don't mind but what I do mind is that it also bleeps when it detects the curb on the opposite side of the road when I exit the drive even when it is many feet away. I have therefor conditioned myself to ignore it under these circumstances. As you have probably already guessed I backed straight into a car parked opposite our drive; very little damage to Yeti but quite a lot to the other car. My previous Rav 4 only bleeped at the back and always for a good reason so I never ignored it. Moral? Look where you are going!

Sorry to here of you reversing problem, I've found that if your reversing back down a slope it will pick up near ground items as a an obstacle. The reversing camera option is good in these situations although I'm still trying to get a good balance between using my mirrors, the camera and the sensor data.

We are in a transition stage to driverless traffic and the only imponderable is the 'driver' who interferes.

That's why it's going to be illegal.........eventually

I will be long gone by then - thank heavens!

Personally I find the park Asst a complete waste of time and money, ....... but I do wonder how many "drivers" actually use the pa on a regular basis and is it just an age thing?

No doubt many people agree with you Sad555 as they are always likely to be luckily in full control of their faculties and skills ... however the PA device is an aid and should be seen as much, I'd guess the people that "use it" are the ones that will benefit from the assistance it gives ... people with mobility problems, or/and the multitude of less-abled drivers among us.

The use of aids like this is fairly limitless, turning difficult (for them) activities in to something much more manageable and likely to be less stressful, and as a result, the option that is worthless to you, will be the option to many that is invaluable, for one reason or circumstance.

• Like 1