Noise when stationary and turning steering wheel

Purchased our Skoda Superb estate 2.0 TDI CR 140 2011 a few weeks ago and have noticed a noise when you turning the steering wheel whilst it stationary. I'm sure it was there when we purchased it, I just probably didn't notice.

It's not horrific sounding, but somethings not right. Difficult to explain, but it makes a metallic ratchety sound when you're stationary and apply lock, or when you're moving slowly.

It's in for a timing belt and major service on Wednesday so will ask for them to look into it, but do you guys have any pointers I can give them? Cheers

Sounds like a worn or duff steering rack.

Did you buy it from a main dealer? If so don't let the dealer fob you off, make use of that 12 month user car warranty.

If not then you should have a 3 month warranty at least (even the smallest independents tend to offer them these days).

I'd be surprised if its the rack as such....Power steering pump possibly?  Also, check there is no large stone or grit under the tyres ;)

I've had noises when turning the wheel while stationary, especially near full lock. Sort of a metallic pinging noise. My best guess is that it's the tyre tread blocks catching on irregularities on the ground and snapping back as they let go. I've got 225/40 R18 tyres so there's not that much compliance in the sidewalls under such loading.

If you get this noise while driving I'd be more worried. If you're uncomfortable with it, talk to the garage and see what they think.

It's in the garage today and they can't find anything wrong with it.

They are going to drop the sub frame and retighten as apparently that can cause odd sounds. Will report back further.

Other than the clicking sound it drives absolutely perfectly.

Purchased our Skoda Superb estate 2.0 TDI CR 140 2011 a few weeks ago and have noticed a noise when you turning the steering wheel whilst it stationary. I'm sure it was there when we purchased it, I just probably didn't notice.

It's not horrific sounding, but somethings not right. Difficult to explain, but it makes a metallic ratchety sound when you're stationary and apply lock, or when you're moving slowly.

It's in for a timing belt and major service on Wednesday so will ask for them to look into it, but do you guys have any pointers I can give them? Cheers

Er mine had the same thing, 2012 Superb. I don't do dry steering myself personally but when it was being driven by someone else too lazy to manoeuvre properly.

I haven't had any issues after getting the car back and I personally don't turn the wheels like at low speed / stationary anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

i would have thought that the top swivels were worth a careful look as well.  When they seize you get a slight twang, twang, twang sound as the mainspring tensions and releases as the car moves from lock to lock. Swivels seizing is not unheard of on cars that have been sitting around for a while.

I'd be surprised if its the rack as such....Power steering pump possibly?  Also, check there is no large stone or grit under the tyres ;)

The only thing it definitely can't be is a power steering pump. The Superb uses electric steering assistance. No hydraulics to make funny noises and no power consumption while the assistance motor isn't working :).

The only thing it definitely can't be is a power steering pump. The Superb uses electric steering assistance. No hydraulics to make funny noises and no power consumption while the assistance motor isn't working :).

Really electric? Not "an electric pump supplying hydraulic pressure" rather than a mechanical one?

In any event, there must be some sort of overload protection for situations where the driver is pulling the rack against the stop?

Fully electric. There's a second rack beside the one connected to the steering wheel with an electric motor and pinion on it. The motor is some sort of induction type that doesn't have permanent magnets, so no cogging when you steer without the motor providing assistance. The overload protection is probably just the motor stalling.