Cleaning rear brake shoes

Normski55

Hi all. The rear brake shoes are not adjusted correctly meaning the handbrake works well on one side, but not the other. I've had a quick look and the shoes seem OK so I'm going the give the linkage mechanism a good clean up with brake cleaner and the reset the adjustment on both sides. What I was wondering is, if I get any brake cleaner on the shoes will that be a problem or is this something I need to avoid at all cost?

Any other advice would be much appreciated as the MOT is due at the end of October.

Cheers, Normski.

That's a good point about the cable, I will check it. When I took the drums off for a preliminary look, the side that doesn't work very well came off really easily and the side that does work was a struggle off making me think the good side was adjusted up and the bad side not. I aim to get them both set up correctly and see if that improves things. When the drum is off, I presume I should be able to see if the shoes move out if I get someone to pull up the handbrake slightly?