Fabia MK1 Original Xenon ballasts

ryan9392

Hey all

I have an 05 plate MK1 fabia VRS with factory fitted xenons. I have recently replaced my xenon bulbs as the previous ones were getting really quite dim. They worked a lot better after doing that but it seems one of the ballasts have blown. I am curious what type of ballast I need as after doing some research a lot state they are HID Kits. Would a ballast from a HID kit work with xenons? I have purchased some expensive xenon bulbs so if someone could shed some light onto which ballast I would need and what are some decent ballasts (if they do vary that is) in terms of brightness and longevity. 

Many thanks in advance

Ryan

Ballast wise, you'll need one with a D2S adapter lead on it.

Ideally, if you're you're replacing just the one ballast it would be best to replace with a genuine Hella unit as your current 'functioning' one is also Hella. Reason being, the Hella units ignite the bulbs far quicker, and from my own experience when I tried the cheaper aftermarket ballast units, the cheaper ballasts caused havoc with radio interference.

Link to a genuine unit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XENUS-5DV007760-V1-Xenon-Vorschaltgerat-Steuergerat-Ballast-Zundgerat-wie-Hella-/381168486583?hash=item58bf6988b7:g:Vf8AAOSwxg5XxER7

Regarding brightness though, it may not be the bulb that is to blame.... Mk1 Fabias with factory xenons are around 10 years old now. Over time, projector bowls burn out, which of course has quite a severe impact on light output. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=burnt+projector+bowl&oq=burnt+projector+bowl&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.3735j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Simplest resolution to this though i'm afraid is new headlights. DEPO units are the most popular on here.

Appreciate the response and sorry about the late reply. Been a busy few days, 

I think I am going to replace both ballasts as I have recently replaced both bulbs. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XENUS-5DV007760-V1-Xenon-Vorschaltgerat-Steuergerat-Ballast-Zundgerat-wie-Hella-/381168486583?hash=item58bf6988b7:g:Vf8AAOSwxg5XxER7&clk_rvr_id=1103606955256&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true. If i Purchase these there is there anything else that I need to buy to replace the ballasts? (EG the bracket that holds the ballast into the back of the headlight.) Stupid question but when you say "DS2 adapter lead" is that the lead that is shown photo with the lamp holder on the end?

I don't think I need new headlights as I have just taken my headlights apart and cleaned all the projector lenses both inside and out and projector bowl didn't have any signs of heat damage which is good news. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKKxZwm-lg. done something similar to this video even though it looks a lot easier with his headlights. It has definitely made my headlights seem a lot brighter. 

Cheers

Ryan

No, there shouldn't be any need to purchase anything else.

As you have factory fit xenons, just use the existing brackets as the ballasts in the link you gave are exactly the same size.

Regarding the D2S adapter lead, yep, the item in the link has the D2S lead pre-attached. Some cheap after-market ballasts just come with connector leads that you can plug an array of adapters into dependent on what bulb type you are using. 

The nice thing about the genuine ballasts though is that they have the seal clip that secures in the back of the headlight back plate. Stops any crud and dirt getting into the headlight unit, plus aids in the headlights not fogging up!

Good to know they're not heat damaged though!

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced the ballasts and the headlight still didn't work. I took it to an auto electrician who informed that the cable had some damage and was causing a short circuit where it rubbed on the alternator belt. I have had that repaired and both lights work fine. Its my audible beep and warning light on the dash that goes off every time I start the car. But strangely when I turn the lights on the warning light disappears and when I turn the lights off it comes back again. Would that be suggesting that there is an issue with the wiring still as it only happens when the lights are off?

any help greatly appreciated