1.8t hissing from start up.

Gonky

Hello all.

I have just joined and firstly I would like to say hello to all.

I have been given a 2001 1.8t 4x4 octavia elegance.

Firstly the car doesn't starts as quick as it should but my main problem is the hissing I get when it's first started up from cold.

It lasts for about 1 minute until the revs drop to about 1k

I have taken a quick video of it from start up to the point the hissing goes. I have noticed the hissing usually kicks in at but 1.5k revs when driving also.

I would like to get the car running as it should as it is a surprisingly nice car to drive.

Also I have a lake in the rear of side foot well. Where would I find the drainage holes to see if any are blocked.

Being new hear and new to skoda I am still trying to figure out how to upload the 1 minute 30 video as that would speak for itself.

This is my first turbo car.

One last thing.

Every time the engine is shut off the average MPG is reset.

The car is very clean to look at.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice given.

Not sure about the hissing, although it could be related to the secondary air system, the MPG reset is because of the settings on the trip computer. On the display you will see that there is a little square with either a 1 or a 2 in it. On the bottom of the wiper stalk is a button, push it once and it will change the number. This determines if it is recording lifetime figures, or single journey (can't remember which way round it is). To reset the trip computer, press and hold the button until the display clears.

The hissing makes me think of the secondary air pump. Try using the site search with that for a term.

As for the computer, in mode 1 it produces a mixture of trip figures (but only resets after the car is left standing for about 90 minutes), instantaneous figures (my record "best" economy is 630mpg, after which it went to ---.-) and estimates range on the current tank.

In mode 2 it resets every 100 run hours.

Hello and thanks for your replies.

I will go and have a look at setting the trip in a moment.

I have now booted up the PC to try an upload the short clip i recorded as i imagine that will be very helpful.

can i upload a short clip to hear or does it need to be via youtube etc?

Thanks again.

Leaking SAI. The SAI pump housing rivets fail causing hissing while it is active on start up.

Octavia instrument cluster has known problem with dry solder joints on the voltage regulators which cause some of the gauges to stop working. The work around is to remove fuse 5 or 15 (can't remember which one) which gets the gauges working but the trip resets each time the ignition is turned on & off. Check the fuses & I think you'll find fuse 5 or 15 is missing or blown.

Leaking SAI. The SAI pump housing rivets fail causing hissing while it is active on start up.

Octavia instrument cluster has known problem with dry solder joints on the voltage regulators which cause some of the gauges to stop working. The work around is to remove fuse 5 or 15 (can't remember which one) which gets the gauges working but the trip resets each time the ignition is turned on & off. Check the fuses & I think you'll find fuse 5 or 15 is missing or blown.

Thank your for your reply, Much appreciated.

I guess ifs its rivets that will be a pain.

I haven't checked any fuses yet but i will do, first thing tomorrow when there is light.

I should mention that my code reader didn't find any codes.

I have found out the MoT is due on November the 3rg so i don't have long. I know it needs 2 rear tyres as they are just past the limit.

The car looks extremely tidy.

I did try to upload a picture now of it but it said nope :(

It looks to good to send to the scrapper.

Quick update on fuses.

Fuse 5 has a 7.5 fuse and fuse 15 has a 5amp fuse which both are not blown.

Those are the fuses in the panel near the steering wheel as you open the door.

I have just found out the battery is past its days as it refused to start so linked a good battery to it via jump leads and it fired up right away.

Also I noticed the hissing didn't last for as long with the good battery, about half the time than usual when I joined up to current one to get it started. Could a weak battery cause any problems once started with the pump?

I did call a parts places about the SAI pump and I don't really want to fork out £400 for a new one. I did feel a breeze under the car when it was hissing so I will investigate the pipes. There is not much room to work on this.

OK been out messing around with it. I stuck the car on some drive on ramps.

I could feel the air from around the pump so i was checking pipes etc with no splits.

Went in had a few cups of coffee and went back out.

When I started the car I dived under it while it was hissing and pushed the pump as hard as I could on the top and bottom (left and right side) which instantly made it sound better as there was less air leaking out.

The casing is not air tight.

Do these have some sort of gaskets which will make it air tight once again?

Also managed to fix the water leaks i think. Little rubber bits at front of the car as you open the doors were blocked so a slight squeeze and water came pouring out.

Thanks for the help.

You should be able to replace 3 of the 5 SAI rivets with the SAI in situ. The alloy rivets will have corroded so can be pushed out and replaced with some M3 bolts and lock-nuts. Took me about 20 minutes.

I drilled them all out and used m3 bolts and washers. I managed to get SAI pump out by just removing bottom two 2 bracket bolts, it was a squeeze.

I would upload a picture but it doesn't seem to let me.

Edited by Gonky

I used 50mm as I couldn't find any 40-45 bolts.

Could easily cut them down once on but I left then as they are.

Cost me a grand total of £3 to repair and it was a quick fix plus I have plenty of nuts and bolts left for anything else I may need them for down the line.

Edited by Gonky

just remove that sai junk, and buy a mpps cable v13 and i will send you a stg1 file iv made and mapped out the sai system

buy that blanking plate on ebay

Edited by grizzle245