Strange but true

agh321

Just coming back from Norfolk after a weeks holiday and I thought my mpg is a bit low in my 1.6tdi yeti

42.5 mpg 60mph 5th gear 1800 revs into wind

So I changed to 4th for 20 miles to see if there was any differance

46mpg at 60mph 4th gear 2500revs into wind

Bit of a head scratcher that one

Pleased over all though this week 830 miles 67 litres 14.7 gallons. = 56mpg

Just coming back from Norfolk after a weeks holiday and I thought my mpg is a bit low in my 1.6tdi yeti

42.5 mpg 60mph 5th gear 1800 revs into wind

So I changed to 4th for 20 miles to see if there was any differance

46mpg at 60mph 4th gear 2500revs into wind

Bit of a head scratcher that one

Pleased over all though this week 830 miles 67 litres 14.7 gallons. = 56mpg

Try it again on another day, it could be just hitting the sweet spot on the engine etc., and may be quite real?

Different engine (2.0 TDI) but I had similar at the weekend. Drove down to Warwick (university open day season...) on cruise at 65 (2000 rpm) Not much traffic until leaving the motorway, and 41.5 mpg for the 130 mile trip. Drove back in heavier traffic, more variable speed, but cruise most of the time at 69 (2300 rpm). Got home with 46.5 on the maxidot.

It likes 62mph as I can get nearly 50 mpg on the run down to the East Midlands Brisky meet, which drops if I push it to 66 or so. Presumably it's a sweet spot for the turbo going just that bit quicker. I'll be trying it again at the weekend on another motorway run.

There's a lot to be said for a constant 69 ?

It looks to be around 1800rpm, with the 150TDi and DSG, really a sweet spot.

Edited by ernieb

I use the max torque point at the lowest revs which I can get away with (retired) due to almost empty roads. - 81kph by sat nav (85 indic) at 1750rpm.