Insurance due on old car a month or so before new car arrives

LemonLime

Hey guys

So I have my lovely new fresh Octavia on its way to me from the factory.

But, the insurance renewal for my existing car is coming up and I still need to use it between now and the time the new car arrives (about a month).

The only way I can think of doing things is to buy insurance for my current car and then ask for a refund on the unused time when the new car arrives. Is there a better way?

Thanks guys

Provided you're happy to stay with your current insurer it will surely be easier to swap your current policy to the new car. We're with Aviva and they were excellent in arranging cover to swap between cars and we only paid the cost to change and a small admin fee - which in our case was under £30!

Keep it simple and you'll avoid paying thru the nose twice!

M

I guess I'll have to call the insurer, their renewal price is well over £150 more than the cheapest I found for the current car. 

I'm not sure how well they will do at getting me a good move-over price to the new ride though as its so completely different (15 y/o focus vs brand new octy vrs 230).

I guess I'll have to call the insurer, their renewal price is well over £150 more than the cheapest I found for the current car.

I'm not sure how well they will do at getting me a good move-over price to the new ride though as its so completely different (15 y/o focus vs brand new octy vrs 230).

Ring and ask them. I found going from a 10 year old octavia to a 1 year old one added about 10% to my premium.

I'd think doing anything that avoids shutting down the new policy can only be good as refund after a month will possibly be about 60% of initial policy cost!

You want the best price on the new car, even if temporarily the current car might be more expensive for a month.

Worst thing is a cracking deal on the current car then finding out they won't cover the new car, or are stupidly over priced. As above cancelling after a month is a PITA.