Strange auto lights behaviour

AngryYeti

They stopped putting the LED lights on the mirror when they changed it for the crazy small thing that's now fitted.

I don't think they have ever fitted LED lights actually on/in the mirror.

This is what he means, on the left is the light to say auto dip is switched on/working and on right the sensor that operates it.

post-82505-0-43518100-1475922436_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have discovered that if you drive at 80mph plus (indicated speed) for more than a couple of minutes, the lights also come on.

They do the same when the auto wipers start sweeping continuously.

Both these behaviours are documented in the owner's manual.

Correction: both behaviours are documented in the hard copy manual for my 2010 Yeti, but the description of the "motorway lights" function seems to have been removed from the 2012 edition of the manual, and does not appear in any editions after that.  It sounds like they still do it, though.  I thought it might have been removed to avoid confusion with the motorway function of the adaptive lights - but those didn't come in until 2014.  Yet another example of the unfathomable rationale behind what does and doesn't get documented in the owner's manual!

Edited by ejstubbs

The description of the "motorway lights" function seems to have been removed from the 2012 edition of the manual, and does not appear in any editions after that.  It sounds like they still do it, though.  I thought it might have been removed to avoid confusion with the motorway function of the adaptive lights - but those didn't come in until 2014.  Yet another example of the unfathomable rationale behind what does and doesn't get documented in the owner's manual!

This is what my 2015 manual says.

""Motorway mode

The cone of light in front of the vehicle is adjusted so that the driver can respond

in time to an obstruction or other hazard in time. The mode is active at

speeds above 120 km/h.""

So it's something us in the UK cannot legally see or make use of!

This is what my 2015 manual says.
""Motorway mode
The cone of light in front of the vehicle is adjusted so that the driver can respond
in time to an obstruction or other hazard in time. The mode is active at
speeds above 120 km/h.""

So it's something us in the UK cannot legally see or make use of!

My understanding/interpretation is that this describes one behaviour of the adaptive headlights that came in on the FL version.  It's not the same as the lights automatically switching on above 140kph, as described in the 2010 & 2011 manuals.

I rarely use "auto" and my lights are still doing all the same things.

Given the age of my Yeti, I'm in no position to disbelieve you!  However, the way the manual is worded does suggest that they only work if the switch is set to "auto":

The Xenon headlight (hereinafter referred to as system) ensures that the roads are illuminated independent of the traffic and weather conditions.

The system automatically adjusts the light cone in front of the vehicle due to the driving data (e.g. vehicle speed and load conditions, steering angle, using the wiper).

The system works as long as the light switch is in position AUTO.

The system operates automatically in the following modes.

Out of town mode
The cone of light in front of the vehicle is similar to the low beam.

City mode
The cone of light in front of the vehicle is adapted so that the adjacent side- walks, crossings, pedestrian crossings, etc., are also illuminated. The mode is active at speeds of 15-50 km/h.

Motorway mode
The cone of light in front of the vehicle is adjusted so that the driver can re- spond in time to an obstruction or other hazard in time. The mode is active at speeds above 120 km/h.

Rain mode
The cone of light in front of the vehicle is adjusted so that the driver can reduce the glare from oncoming vehicles in rain.
The mode is active at speeds of 20-70 km/h and if the windscreen wipers continuously operate for a period of time longer than about 2 minutes. The deactivation of the mode is carried out a few minutes after switching off the wiper.

Dynamic cornering lights
The cone of light in front of the vehicle is adjusted to the steering angle so that the road in the curve is illuminated. This function is active at speeds greater than 10 km/h and in all system modes.

(The red emphasis is mine.)

The first emphasised statement seems to suggest that the adaptive stuff only works with the lights set to auto.  The second one seems to suggest that the cornering function works even when they're not set to auto.  As ever seems to be the case with a Skoda manual, interpretation is best verified by experimentation!
Edited by ejstubbs

Dynamic cornering lights
The cone of light in front of the vehicle is adjusted to the steering angle so that the road in the curve is illuminated. This function is active at speeds greater than 10 km/h and in all system modes.

(The red emphasis is mine.)

The first emphasised statement seems to suggest that the adaptive stuff only works with the lights set to auto.  The second one seems to suggest that the cornering function works even when they're not set to auto.  As ever seems to be the case with a Skoda manual, interpretation is best verified by experimentation!

Certainly the cornering function works on mine when not on Auto.

Mine are different to yours then Graham, my headlights only follow the steering when in Auto.

The fog-light "cornering" function works whether in Auto or Manual though, is this what you are seeing?

I'll have a job at the moment as SWMABO has the car for the weekend.

I take it you have prised the car back from the other half by now Graham, have you checked out if the lights follow steering when switched on in manual (dipped beam following the road not fog light)  ? :giggle:

I'd forgotten about this, but I've only driven it in the daylight this week. Don't use the car at night much, the pub is within walking distance.  :beer:

I'll check next time I'm let out at night,

Edited by Llanigraham