Yeti 4x4 rumble from rear

Egon

I have a 2014 Yeti Outdoor 4x4 automatic. For some time it has been making a rumbling noise from the rear of the car from a standing start. It is particularly noticeable when the steering is on right lock and also when on a slope. This happens on normal tarmac. Sometimes this is followed by a distinct "bump" sound as the car changes into 2nd gear. I've had the car tested by my local dealer on two occasions but they can't find a fault nor can they detect a noise (of course they have not tested it in the places where it usually makes the noise). The car did not do this in the first year I had it (from new).

Has anyone experienced anything similar? 

Broken rear coil spring?.......others here have had that experience ......perhaps check and compare the measurement : top of the wheel arch to the level ground both sides.

If both springs have broken, as mine had, measuring won't help! The only way to properly check is to get it in the air and look. Mine broke just over one complete "round" from the bottom, and weren't easy to see.

Also get the rear wheel bearings checked, although they do seem quite resilient.

The bump when changing gear does sound like it could be a broken spring - IIRC that's one of the symptoms mine had when a rear spring broke.  However, it didn't have the rumble - which does sound like a wheel bearing is on it's way out, so it's possible that you've got two problems at once.

I'd have thought that any half-competent VAG technician would have checked those particular items in the workshop before even trying to take the car out on the road.  They're not exactly difficult to detect with the car on the lift, and if they check out OK then it's very little time lost.

My understanding is that wheel bearings and even coil springs are pretty much standard service items these days.  I'm not sure whether one or the other would be covered under warranty.

Edited by ejstubbs

Just had the pleasure of replacing the front springs when one broke whilst traveling at speed on a dual carriage way,heard a bang and thought I had gone over some object on the road as the steering felt OK but after going around a roundabout ,the spring turned on the strut and the broken spring started rubbing on the tyre with lots of noise, vibration and smoke ,luckily I was able to jack the car up and rotate the spring away from the tyre but if the spring had not rotated I would have been unaware it had snapped............ps this was on my wife's runaround Mazda 2 (12 years old)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for those suggestions. 

The car has just had its 24 month service at my local Skoda dealer. They have checked all components under the car which might cause the noise but have not found any faults. 

They made the usual comment when they can't explain a noise : a) they can't hear it; and B) come back if it gets worse.

I had a friend who used to work on Landrovers test it yesterday. He can hear the noise (a rumble from the rear when driving off from standstill, especially on a slope with the steering turned) and suggests it could be one of the rear wheels lifting under load causing the ABS system to operate on that wheel. He made the point that as the tyres wear down they lose some of their grip and so the wheel which is least under load starts to spin which prompts the ABS to correct it.

Any further comments appreciated!

A number of people notice a bit of a "thump" sound/feel when pulling away from standstill AND turning (for example - happens every night when I turn out of my parking space at work).

My theory is this:

- whenever you pull away from standstill, the Haldex clutch engages drive to the rear, effectively locking the front & rear diff together (maybe not completely locking 100% - the clutch may only partially engage, to allow some slip)

- when you're turning at the same time, the front diff will be turning faster than the rear diff (as the front wheels travel through a wider circle than the rears)

- this leads to tension building up in the drivetrain - to some degree this accommodated by rubber couplings on the propshaft, some movement of engine mounts, etc

- after a couple of seconds, the Haldex clutch releases as you're not accelerating hard and no loss of traction, so it releases

- the "thump" is the release of this tension

Not sure about a rumble though - but the fact it happens when you pull away from standstill AND you're turning, makes me think it's related to 4wd operation.

Does it happen any other time, or only when pulling from standstill AND turning together ?

• Like 1

In reply to your suggestions - the rumble normally happens when pulling off on a slope and turning at the same time. However I've occasionally noticed it when moving off straight ahead or reversing. Once the car is on the move it drives smoothly on a good road without any rumbles, bumps or clonks, though the ride is hard and it does tend to respond harshly on rough roads). One of the problems for the dealer trying to diagnose it is that it doesn't happen all the time and it's hard to find locations where it can be demonstrated on demand. 

If this is a normal effect of the 4wd I would have thought other Yeti 4wd owners would have noticed it. 

Thanks again for your suggestions. I'll keep monitoring it and see whether it develops.

• 4 months later...

Finally got to the bottom of these rumbling noises from the rear of the car. Despite several visits to the dealer no faults were found until 3 weeks ago by which time the noise had become very obvious. Technician heard it straight away and asked me to book the car in. They diagnosed fault with the rear differential and and Skoda UK agreed that the diff should be replaced. After the work was done I was told that one or more of the Haldex clutch plates had disintegrated and debris was being moved around inside the diff.

The car is now smooth as silk and seems to perform better though that may be my imagination. It has taken two years for this problem to be diagnosed and repaired, involving repeated visits to the dealer as well as concern about the safety of the car. At least the car was within warranty so no cost to me other than 12 mile round trips and numerous hours trying to get it sorted. I suspect that the diff was faulty from the factory. The car has still only done 13000 miles so should not have gone in such a short time.

Well the fact that they have separate fluids suggests there is no sharing of space, other than a physical co-location.

Edited by weasley

2 minutes ago, weasley said:

Well the fact that they have separate fluids suggests there is no direct connection, other than a physical co-location.

A seal failure?.