Tyre Time

ktm690rr

My Yeti Elegance 170 needs new tyres soon, I've had a dig through the tyre threads, but I'm still uncertain.

All 4 Pirelli P7s are due for renewal. I was wondering what other owners are using and why. 

In order of priority I'm looking for;

1  Grip in wet, snow and ice

2  Mileage

3  Fuel economy

4  Low noise

5  Price

Thanks,

Mike

I considered the Cross Climates for when I need to change mine in a couple of thousand miles, but I think the tread pattern looks awful . I know this probably isn't a factor for most people, but for me, as well as being black and round, I like the tread on my tyres to be pleasing to the eye  :)

I recently fitted a second set of Goodyear Vector 4Seasons to mine. These are the 2nd generation ones; I very much liked the last set of 1st generations, that lasted through 3 winters and 2 summers, around 40k miles (swapped front to back half way through), great in cold and wet conditions, perfectly OK in warm and dry and no noticeable impact on economy or noise. These new ones appear to be at least as good, although we haven't had any foul weather yet to try them (other than their hot-knife-through-butter standing water performance).

I also like the tread pattern. :). Although they do collect small stones and gravel easily.

• Like 1

Running the Michelin CrossClimate on the V40 in the same 225/50 R17 as the Yeti. Been very impressed by them in all conditions I've faced in the year/7k + miles they have been on the car and would my first choice if I was fitting new tyres.

TP

• Like 1

I considered the Cross Climates for when I need to change mine in a couple of thousand miles, but I think the tread pattern looks awful . I know this probably isn't a factor for most people, but for me, as well as being black and round, I like the tread on my tyres to be pleasing to the eye  :)

Are these any more to your liking? Nokian Weatherproofs.

gallery_80615_568_180118.jpg

Best tyres I've had for wet grip, though still waiting for some decent snow to test them on.

Based on the 12K done on them I'd get 25-30K on the fronts & 35-40K on the rears before going below the 4mm mark for use as winter tyres.

• Like 1

I've been running the Cross Climates for a year/8000 miles now. Not had any experience of ice and snow but excellent in the dry and the wet. Definitely getting 2-3mpg better than on the previous tyres and so far no obvious signs of wear. 

My Yeti Elegance 170 needs new tyres soon, I've had a dig through the tyre threads, but I'm still uncertain.

All 4 Pirelli P7s are due for renewal. I was wondering what other owners are using and why. 

In order of priority I'm looking for;

1  Grip in wet, snow and ice

2  Mileage

3  Fuel economy

4  Low noise

5  Price

Thanks,

Mike

Given your location and that grip in wet, snow and ice is your top priority, then you'll need all-seasons (unless you're going for separate winter & summer set).

225 width summer tyres will be hopeless in snow.

There are a number of all-season tyre tests to pore over, here: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Tests/#allseason

I have to agree with dbg400.  I ran Nokians on my last Yeti and miss them on the new one.

I was very impressed and would recommend them.

Coincidently, off to Finland in the morning! 

I use these people  https://www.tyresonthedrive.com/

You can see performance, wet weather and mpg details all on the site. 

I was a little skint when my tyres were due and opted for the budget ones from the originals. I have to say I am impressed. MPG is up around 3 - 4 mpg on long runs, seem quieter than the old ones and handles just as well. Service was top notch as well

Glenn

Cross Climates are 4-6 mpg worse than Goodyear Efficient grips on my Yeti.

I've yet to drive on ice, snow or mud with the Cross Climates to see if they have significantly better grip to justify the extra cost of the tyres and the drop in fuel economy.

The jury might be out, but I'm inclined to say that the Efficient grips are the best tyre I've had on any car (for my driving requirements and style).

225 width summer tyres will be hopeless in snow.

And if you wanted to try to overcome that by using snow chains then, due to clearance constraints, you can only fit them to the rear wheels - and then only if it's 4WD (or at least, there's little point in fitting chains only on the rear wheels of a FWD car).

• Like 1

I've been offered CrossClimates, 225/50 R17V 98XL at just under £130 per corner. From what I've read over the many pages of various threads on here this spec should be OK.

Any comments please?

• 3 weeks later...
You don't say whether you plan to replace the P7 with another summer tyre, an all-season tyre, or a winter tyre. That should be your first decision.

Tyre recommendations from private buyers are of passing interest but limited value, as people are often subjective about tyres. No individual gets the chance to try half a dozen or more competing tyres, fitted to identical cars, one after the other on the same day, on the same road and in the same weather conditions and to measure the results with scientific equipment.  Proper tyre testing is a very expensive exercise.

This test is a good starting point http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2016-ACE-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm and there are plenty of other well-conducted tests linked on the right-hand side of that page.

Comparing the top all-season tyres, the CrossClimate is very strong in the dry, rather weak in snow (though vastly better in snow than any summer tyre), while the Weatherproof is the other way round.  If you are tempted by the CrossClimate, remember that it is about to be superseded by the CrossClimate+ which will have better snow ability and will remain consistent in its performance right down to the legal tread limit (a theme Michelin is pushing hard in relation to all its most recent tyres).

The ContiWinterContact TS860, new this year, has shown itself to be head and shoulders above other winter tyres in almost every test. But it isn't available yet in 215/60 R16 which is one obvious size choice for the Yeti. Continental has promised additional sizes for early 2017, around the time when the CrossClimate+ goes on sale.

• Like 1

It's high end industrial chemistry with so many variables ('track' temperature being the most obvious) you can probably make an argument for any one depending on your specific priority.

Like hifi the law of diminishing returns applies AFAIC