Fuel consumption Vrs

Munny

Hello guys, new to the forum and not recently got my fabia vrs.

Car in question is a 2004 Fabia Vrs running a stage 1 faboka remap but standard bar that

I was wondering if the consumption i'm getting is right. £20 of diesel gets me 140 miles max around town thats also taking it easy everywhere. A mate has one with far more mods and gets 160 miles not driving it easy. I have run a fault memory check and it hasnt logged any faults. I always use shell or bp fuel.

Any ideas on where to start from?

Thanks in advance

The first question would be how many litres do you get for £20.

Is it 112 pence a litre or 118 a litre you pay?

£20 @ 112 pence is 17.85 litres = 3.9 gallons.    140 divided by 3.9 = 35 mpg.

(if you pay 118 pence a litre then you are getting 37 mpg driving in town like you are driving Miss Daisy and is that short trips?)

*If you are paying 123 pence a litre you are getting a very nice 39 mpg or so.*

If your mate drives your car with £20 of diesel in how many miles can he drive it?

Edited by Offski

It doesn't sound as if your mpg measurement is very precise. Measuring from tank full over at least two fill-ups to tank full again will give a more accurate figure. Don't rely on the dash read-out; better to actually calculate the mpg.

Sorry for the late reply,

I'll check next time what the fuel prices are like here. I just usually go by the reserve light comes on put £20 in reset trip meter and see how many miles it does. My mates has a exhaust, decat, egr delete, panel filter and a remap by faboka also and his does around 160miles not taking it easy. When i fill up £20 usually the range will show 220 miles however it wont ever do that. He does similar sort of journies as me. I could understand if it was near enough same sort of figure but it seems fairly off as i can do 140 miles taking it easy and his will do around 160 not taking it easy.

Any pointers where to begin with?

Thanks

You checked your tyre pressure and that the brakes are not binding? Dodgey wheel bearings? If it's quite smokey then maybe you have a boost leak or some other reason the air/fuel mixture is not right. Any other unusual symptoms that may be related?

Town driving would be the main cause I would of thought. It's not warming up enough to start building that average mpg up.

It may be excessive; but what about finding an excuse to make a 100 mile round trip on dual carriageway / quiet motorway and see what kind of figures you can get that way?

JRJG

• Like 1

Tyre pressures have been adjusted accordingly and no binding brakes or dodgy wheel bearings. Nothing that i can see. It smoked a little when flooring it but not majorly just the amount you would expect.

We done a 180 mile round trip a couple weeks ago. Sat at 80mph all the way took it steady 2 passengers and the most i got it up to was about 56mpg but averaged 51mpg over the whole trip

Tyre pressures have been adjusted accordingly and no binding brakes or dodgy wheel bearings. Nothing that i can see. It smoked a little when flooring it but not majorly just the amount you would expect.

We done a 180 mile round trip a couple weeks ago. Sat at 80mph all the way took it steady 2 passengers and the most i got it up to was about 56mpg but averaged 51mpg over the whole trip

51mpg from a 180 mile trip is reasonable wouldn't you say? Don't trust your trip computer, a 'brim to brim' test is the most accurate way of measuring it.

JRJG

Just an update, my mate just checked his properly and it did 185 miles to £20

You can't properly work it out on just putting £20 in,as above you really need to do full tank to full tank and work it out off the amount that you put in when refilling.

That's about the MPG I got in my stage 1.

My 2260 now I'm getting 50-60 miles per £10 V power

V power and cheap diesel work out the same £££ wise, because v power has better MPG but less fuel for £££ works out the same.

I personally tried it over a few months, believe me it's basically the same so obviously run V power.

As above. The only way you can accurately check is to fill it up to the brim, do some driving and then fill it back to the brim and work out the MPG.

51-56mpg sounds about right to be fair at 80mph.

Also another consideration is that is your mates an older one or same age?

It was around 2004/54 plate that the engine was changed to the BLT and the gearbox changed to one with shorter gearing (greater RPM at 70mph for example).

Thanks for the replies. They are both the same year at 54. I'm going to give it a fresh service this weekend and when its due some fuel i'll do a full tank and try it from there. I'll do a tank of vpower diesel.

Still on the same tank at the moment.

I had run it right down to empty so 0 miles on the range. Done a full tank of regular diesel at a shell petrol station and squeezed in £52. 113.9 a litre. Done 230 miles so far and it is on the mark just under half. This has been eco driving everywhere. I'll keep running it down and see what it does to the tank.

A quicker method is to brim it, drive 100 miles or so, then brim it again and see how much you have put in to fill it, therefore how much diesel was used in that 100 miles.

JRJG

Over the years with my old 2005, 12 year old Fabia VRS MK1 with no mods, has always checked-out at 10 miles per litre, or 45mpg.

Always tested by brimful to brimful during winter and summer.

All speeds across the board, including getting the maximum speed ( accordingly to speedo) 130mph..at maximum revs according to rev counter.

Still puts a smile on my old 68 + years face..LOL with these large exhausts and pounding drum beats from their audio equipment, when I blast past them..

Edited by giandougl