finding generic VAG parts

richardg8jvm

Hi all

has anyone had success in tracing Skoda parts back to the generic VAG part.

obviously to reduce build cost across all models in the VAG the same generic parts will be used.

Also there will be OEM suppliers which are common to many of the different groups, Ford, Chrysler-Fiat , General motors ect.

I found on my last car a Fiat that the headlight motor was available from VAG at a third of the Fiat price, exactly the same motor.

For instance suspension components, are there any search tools for finding if the same component is used on other VAG models and finding which is the lower priced part

Thanks

Richard

Hope you have some success

I would imagine it's a deep dark proprietary secret though. - probably in the fine supply contract documentation (commercial in confidence)

A cross reference of part numbers would be gold, I would have thought

I seem to remember some EU ruling that prevents same parts being sold at different prices in a group of companies

it was something to do with VAG in the early 2000's VW and AUDI owners found they could by parts like wipers, brakes etc cheaper from the local skoda dealer in a skoda box but same part number as the more expensive VW or AUDI part

so if the part number is the same it has to be same price in all VAG parts department

Well if that was some EU Legislation its not being enforced or maybe not enforceable.

Maybe check out having a Skoda serviced in a Skoda Main Dealers and a VW Main dealers,  look just at the Oil Filter and sump plug parts numbers and the price before VAT 

is added and see if they are the same.

The VW Dealerships price might well not be the higher price.

For instance suspension components, are there any search tools for finding if the same component is used on other VAG models and finding which is the lower priced part

If you can find the part number for your car for a particular component (there's usually some ETKA-like websites around that you can use to search, they come and go, try this one: http://etka.cc/skoda/lang/e ), then you can look the part numbers up on aftermarket parts sites and they often tell you which other vehicles they fit.

For example, look up 1K0505323N (upper rear suspension arm) on Autodoc: http://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/1k0505323n?page=2

Then pick a product, like this Lemforder arm: http://www.autodoc.co.uk/lemforder/1273411

...and look at the "Suitable Vehicles" bit.

You'll see a whole load of other VAG vehicles it fits.

You may well find that such companies will be a lot cheaper than dealers or TPS, and some of the brands (eg Lemforder, TRW, Meyle etc) will be what the car manufacturers use anyway....