Anyone got any generic VCDS coding ideas?

Hi all,

Getting my footwell lights coded at some point soon, just wondering if there's anything else anyone's coded to get to work, sort of billy bonus stuff? From memory, I thought you can get fog light setting changed or the number of bulbs or something?

One thing I've noticed is I upgraded my stereo from and Audience to a Bolero and the volume no longer drops when you select reverse: is that just a coding issue or something complicated like not getting temp/parking sensor onscreen and something I'll just have to live with?

Ah, I've just stripped out my interior and cleaned the connections on the rear interior light cos it wasn't working properly so I'd expect a TON of faults codes from unpluggint the seat airbags, the light, and a gazillion other bits!! :D

Bummer about not getting the reverse volume back, I was sure I'd read that it was possible by doing something or other.

Fog lights, I can see why only one is on to distinguish to idiots between those and rear/brake lights, and I presume you mean the headlight washers firing sequence (think factory is after every fifth press on the stalk?) so that okay, can't really think of many other things that would be snazzy enough to bother with. Wanted to change the timing on the auto wipers a while ago but I think it was found that it was a really minimal adjustment.

Any other ideas guys?

Not sure these options are available on a pre fl or if you have maxidot but the options I want switching on are:

Big mph on maxidot.

Cornering fog lights.

Anti hijack

Hard braking hazard flash.

I think some of these are quite trick and some just a good function to have.

Cheers Mike. The mirror adjustment & comfort indicators were on maxidot from factory on mine, which is convenient. Completely get what you mean about having a play, but the chap coming over is getting to mine at 21:30 tomorrow night and I don't want to mess him around... although I'd happily fanny about with it for a LONG ol' time if I had the chance! :D If he's happy to have a browse, then I will, but if not can anyone tell me what the path or byte/tick thing is for the emergency stop option is as that sounds very handy!

From looking at many VCDS posts in the past, can the simple options like the stuff discussed above generally be one or two obvious boxes to get them activated? Often read about people struggling to get things to work cos they ticked a box in one area and haven't done the other required two in random other places on there.

Oh, and as long as I DON'T untick anything, can I presume that I'm not gonna mess anything up with my car?! :peek:

EDIT: Okay, so found this thread... http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/304567-vcds-options/page-1?hl=+emergency  can someone explain what's the score with DRLs & scandinavian lights? I know what drl's are (and how much you hate them Mike! :giggle: ), but if you activate them, are they just then in the maxidot options to switch on and off as you please (in case I think they're pants as well!) and do they require the bulbs changing as the fl has two separate bulbs, from memory? And with the headlight wash: I saw your post mike (Change number available to 15, default is 4, and is really wasteful on washer fluid. Changing it means you need to hold washers on longer before headlight wash works, so only working when you want it to) but I might be confused as to how they work or I'm reading it wrong then cos I thought they came on once every fourth or fifth time that you've activated the windscreen wipers, but are you saying it's how long you pull the indicator in??

Annoying that the needle sweep isn't available on pre-fl! :envy:

Edited by blackspaven

My DRL's have an option to switch them on of off in maxidot, if they are switched on then they are on permanently regardless of auto headlight.

I have mine switched off currently which means they are only set to come on with the auto headlights or I can switch them on with the sidelight setting on the headlight switch.

My DRL's have an option to switch them on of off in maxidot, if they are switched on then they are on permanently regardless of auto headlight.

I have mine switched off currently which means they are only set to come on with the auto headlights or I can switch them on with the sidelight setting on the headlight switch.

Surely (hopefully) they'd only come on at the sidelight intensity and not 'proper' DRL intensity in that instance?

I find your choices confusing. Why have DRLs on when you have other lights on? And why switch them off in daylight? Their purpose is to let others see you in certain daytime conditions. I believe the law requires new cars to have DRLs switched off when other lights are on.

My car's factory fitted DRLs only work with ignition on and lights off, including sidelights.

One other point. I was against DRLs initially, especially those high value German cars with high intensity point sources of light.

However, since activating mine I have noticed that less people pull out in front of me from side roads and pedestrians notice me sooner.

Definitely worth having them in daylight if you have a black car.

I find your choices confusing. Why have DRLs on when you have other lights on? And why switch them off in daylight? Their purpose is to let others see you in certain daytime conditions. I believe the law requires new cars to have DRLs switched off when other lights are on.

My car's factory fitted DRLs only work with ignition on and lights off, including sidelights.

All LED DRL’s dim down when either sidelights or dipped beam are on, in fact most cars do not use separate sidelights at all and just rely on the dimmed DRL’s.

Personally I think that rear DRL’s should come on as std as well, I see loads of people driving in the dusk with just front DRL’s on... so no lights on at the rear at all.  :devil:

• Like 1

Apologies Mike, think I was confusing turning/cornering lights with drl's... Page 1 of that link shows you do NOT like those!! :D can they be chosen via maxidot once activated or are they vcds like the drl settings?

Totally confused by the washer now! So I was right about the 6th pull thing but are you saying it ALSO activates if you pull the stalk in for a certain time and that setting is the thing that can be altered ( as well as how long the blast lasts)?

It's not just at dusk - I've seen folks on the motorway in full darkness with only front (blindingly bright) LED DRLs on and no lighting at all at the rear.

I agree. Check out the reg plate when you see one again and I bet it is an older car with after-market DRLs (not factory fitted).

Some people don't like having an unlit dash in dim daylight with just DRLs on (there has even request on here for how to do wire it in) but the dash is unlit to warn you to switch on your main lights as it gets dark. I know I can drive up my drive in the semi-dark on just DRLs and then I remember when I look at the speedo or switchgear.

Mike

Cheers Mike, cornering lights might be nice to try but think I'll give it a miss if it's vcds only.

Think I get you now, might increase the stalk pull time in that case. Is the location to change it on that link with loads of info? (on my mobile... far from comfortable using it!! :D)

What's people's opinions of the teardrop wipe??

Great on the rear. I used to it manually anyway and that annoyed me. Now it is automatic.

I also activated auto rear wipe if I put the car is in reverse and front wiper are on.

One other point. I was against DRLs initially, especially those high value German cars with high intensity point sources of light.

However, since activating mine I have noticed that less people pull out in front of me from side roads and pedestrians notice me sooner.

Definitely worth having them in daylight if you have a black car.

Hi pikpilot,

To answer your question I have only just recently purchased the car and I'm working through the options that are already available to see if I like them and get the car setup to my preferance.

As mentioned by Gizmo68 the DRL's are dipped when the lights are on full or sidelight mode.

My car has auto headlights so when the auto mode turns on the lights it turns on all but the fogs ( I believe this is the factory setting and no option to change this) if I turn on the DRL's in maxidot they are then permanent at full power and dip when the headlights come on but as again mentioned in this thread no rear lights in this mode.

I am going to run the DRL's in this mode for a while and decide if I like them this week, I then have to make the decision of leaving as is, have rear lights activated or go back to the setup the car came with of DRL's off and only on dipped with lights.

Edited by Dave3283

The rear is the main one for me possibly: when the jet has eventually activated, there's usually another dribble... And then hitting the stalk again makes a load more washer fluid go down. Mixed opinion of the front ones? Wondering about smears and tapping down ain't exactly tricky. Doesn't spray more fluid doing that either.

Teardrop front and rear - leave them OFF! Seriously!

It's OK in the summer when you can clear the little dribble left after the main squirt (washers, not the beforesaid urology problem!) - but trust me, in the winter you will find it so annoying when that final teardrop wipe simply smears salt all over the screens. I hate the function with a passion, and it was one of the first things I switched off when I got the new car.

Mike

+1

Likewise for this reason my wipers are never left on auto, turn them off and when needed turn them onto auto, nothing worse than a false wipe smearing the (previously clean) screen

No dribbles from the high mounted washer jet on the estate but I can imagine the wiper on the hatch may throw more water due to centrifugal force.

No my estate doesn't dribble as such, but when it's wiped, where it pushes the water away as all wipers are designed to do, this means invariably up at the top of the throw it comes back down again in the form of a run/dribble.

Yup. Think I might try the rear and see how it is, but I can definitely see how the front teardrop could well be a pita come winter! To be honest, if I'm using the rear jet, it'll be pretty gunky anyway, and it won't be getting hit face on like the front, but it's the perfect time to find out and in a few months let mike say 'TOLD YOU SO!!' :D