Number plate lights

Lee123

Hi guys, I have a question about the number plate lights.

I purchased a set of 3*1w Cree xpe number plate lights from one of the main bulb supplies and I have to say I'm hugely disappointed with them. I would go as far as to say they're not even as good as the standard type Osrams I previously had in there, plus they were meant to be canbus and of course they flagged an error only being a total of 3watts (3*1w Cree).

So my question is this. I have found a few high power 5 watt Cree bulbs online... Obviously I'm going to find the best I can. But because they are 5 watt output, will that mean they will not flag an error on the dash? Or am I missing something?

Really longing for that crisp white number plate look, without the error.

Try these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-SMD-LED-Licence-Number-Plate-Light-For-SEAT-Altea-Exeo-3R-Leon-1P-5F-Ibiza-6J-/262447906532?hash=item3d1b1d3ee4

They are a bit bright, but I have applied aluminium tape to cover outside rows of LEDs only exposing middle row and they look great IMO. Also no errors on my superb made in 2012, as they have internal resistors.

Well, IMO number plate lights are there to conform with the law that says that you must have number plate lights.

If you're such a fashion victim that you must have them the same shade of white as your front lights...

These look really good... I'm assuming you remove the entire housing for these to fit in? How do they connect up inside?

Yes, remove the whole bulb housing. Connector LEDs come with is exact fit for the plug on the car.

have a look at these photos to get an idea

20161020_180734.jpg

20161020_180946.jpg

20161020_181015.jpg

20161020_181050.jpg

Edited by jozisko

Ahh thats perfect - so are they really that bright then that you have to cover 2 banks up?

I'm also looking for an alternative to my reverse lights, i know they're meant to warn other drivers that i'm reversing.. but would be nice for them to give off enough light so i can see where i'm going if i'm reversing down a dark lane, for example.

I have put LED in my reversing lights. Claim to be 11w. On 2010 estate they threw and error once in 20 reverses. On my 62 plate they throw 1 in 3 on start and every time you engage reverse.

Lovely and bright so I just live with it.

I have found some 16w ones but that be £30 iirc.

Most led wattage ratings are compete rubbish!

Rather than giving the actual wattage they tend to give an estimation of the power a halogen bulb would need to be an equivalent brightness.

CAN bus friendly versions tend to have a resistor in an attempt to fool the bulb check. All this will do is waste energy and potentially get hot enough to desolder the resistor or melt the bulb socket.

I ended up using some cheap ~£10 CAN bus unfriendly 30w versions for my reverse lights and coding the car to avoid the bulb warning. They actually consume closer to 6w but are brighter than the original 21w halogens. I think the superb uses a different bulb base to my Octavia buy there should be inexpensive options.

Coding can't be done with VCDS and the BCM needs to be a version that supports led lighting. I think that happened on MY11/MY12 vehicles.

Most led wattage ratings are compete rubbish!

Rather than giving the actual wattage they tend to give an estimation of the power a halogen bulb would need to be an equivalent brightness.

CAN bus friendly versions tend to have a resistor in an attempt to fool the bulb check. All this will do is waste energy and potentially get hot enough to desolder the resistor or melt the bulb socket.

I ended up using some cheap ~£10 CAN bus unfriendly 30w versions for my reverse lights and coding the car to avoid the bulb warning. They actually consume closer to 6w but are brighter than the original 21w halogens. I think the superb uses a different bulb base to my Octavia buy there should be inexpensive options.

Coding can't be done with VCDS and the BCM needs to be a version that supports led lighting. I think that happened on MY11/MY12 vehicles.

Ours is w16w cap style bulb. Shame as our Fabia uses a P21 and a can friendly bulb worked without errors

• Like 1