Octavia 1.9 TDI limp mode under acceleration

Hi All

I hope the moderators don't regard this as double-posting, but I just posted a question on a very old thread in the MK1 forum that relates to the Mr Muscle treatment for limp mode. I have a MK2 Octavia. I'm not sure if anyone monitors the old threads, so I don't know if it will be seen. So I'm posting a link here in the hope that someone may give me some guidance:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/246397-limp-mode-octavia-19-tdi/page-3

Essentially, I want to know if anyone can give similar instructions for a MK2 Octavia with an intercooler?

Any help gratefully received as the problem has been ongoing for months and 'm desperate to solve it. 

Thanks in advance. 

Reading your other post you have linked to, what I think you are looking at is an EGR cooler, rather than an intercooler (the intercooler will be at the front of the engine, with big pipes connecting it to the inlet manifold and the turbo). What you need to be looking for, is where the EGR pipes connect to the turbo charger, preferably at the top. Can you get a picture or two and put them up? Will help a bit.

Sorry for the delayed response. I thought the forum would notify me when there was a reply so I only found your answer when I browsed here today.

Yes, you're correct. I meant the EGR cooler. I've been down to take some pics but there is so little space I can't even get a mini compact camera down the side of the engine. So I've taken some pics from above.

Pic 1 shows the EGR valve at A. The pipe from beneath it runs under, and parallel with, the black plastic pipe B, and goes into the EGR cooler at point C.

Pic 2 shows the pipe connecting to the cooler at point D.

If you have any info on doing the Mr Muscle remedy on this configuration I'd be really grateful. Things are so tight I can't even work out how to get the EGR valve off to release the pipe to the cooler!

skoda-1.jpg

skoda-2.jpg

PS Is there any way to attach images directly to posts? I had to upload these ones to a different site and then link them in. Thanks.

Sorry for the delayed response. I thought the forum would notify me when there was a reply so I only found your answer when I browsed here today.

PS Is there any way to attach images directly to posts? I had to upload these ones to a different site and then link them in. Thanks.

1) I can't remember exactly what the options are, but you can change why (and how often) you get notifications using profile settings.

2) I'd advise against inserting images in posts here rather than linking them, because you've a limit of 2 MB of inserted images.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found that getting under the car undo the three alen key bolts for the exit of turbo and putting mr muscle straight in there is more effective.

Also if you find your losing a bit of water your egr cooler may be starting to split internally. I've had this happen twice on previous 1.9tdi's.  But then again is yours water cooled? Hard to see.

Edited by Kris82

Hi Kris

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure if mine is water cooled - I've only had it a short while and the Haynes manual contains so many configurations for these 1.9s that it's hard to specify what I've got!

I'll try to follow your suggestion. Unfortunately, I'm having to work out in the road so doing stuff from the top down is a lot easier than from the bottom up. :)

Cheers

• 8 months later...