Leaking radiator Fabia vrs

Hello All,

I am new to Briskoda having just purchased a Fabia VRS 05' plate having always wanted one. I took some time to find a decent one with straight bodywork and half decent mileage, FSH etc.

However.... I am loosing a small amount of coolant and on further inpsection the lower OS radiator corner is wet with antifreeze, so it looks like I have a radiator in need of replacement.

I am half handy with the spanners and I have scoured the site but I cannot find a guide to replacing a radiator on the VRS? Does anyone know if a guide has been produced of can anyone offer advice on how to approach this job?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Try tightening the thermoswitch a little before condemning the rad. They seem to often develope leaks from there.

Nah, forget that. I see you mention O/S now I look again.

Edited by Wino

Thanks for your reply Wino. Thinking about it again the wet antifreeze is on the NS (Passenger side)of the rad bottom not the OS as I put in my first post. I m presumming it could be a leak from the thermoswitch and not the rad? Is this a common problem and is the thermoswitch easy to access and tighten or does it need to be removed and a new seal fitted?

This recent thread shows where it is. The model pictured has the battery mounted a bit further back than I think you'll find it on yours, so visibility and access from above may be difficult. From below will probably be the way to go.  There is no seal, it's just the brass flange of the thermoswitch against the plastic of the radiator.

Edited by Wino

Thanks Updown. I ve had chance to take a look at the thermosensor today and it is completely dry. No wetness under the switch and no staining..... shame. Also had chance to inspect the rad again. Both corners of the rad are wet with antifreeze so it looks conclusive. Does anyone know hiw I would find a stripdown guide to help me replace it myself and is it safe ti buy an aftermarket Rad? There are some on Fleebay new for £26!

Ah never mind, there is a common fault with the rad on the lhs facing the car as I had mind done a few years ago leaking from there (one of only a handful of know issues thankfully).

I got the rad for £30 ish from ECP as a pattern rad, and was perfect. I didn't tackle the rad and got it done at Unit 18 a few years ago, been fine since touch wood.

Thanks for your reply vRSAnt. The EIS rad from ECP is actually the replacement rad I m looking at, currently £26 on ebay. Sounds like a bargain, your post was 2014 so if the EIS rad has been in since then and still okay, it gives me some confidence in buying it. Cheers.

• Like 1