Chinese Android 5.1.1 Columbus replacement fitted...any setup tips?

jt57

After months of my Columbus unit intermittently working and then not it finally died completely.

Due to the facts that :-

1) A brand new unit is totally overpriced (imho) for something so outdated.

2) I was never impressed with the sound quality.

3) The GPS satnav, I found, is too long winded to set up routes, or the best compared to my ancient TomTom, and new maps are also few and far between and expensive.

4) No usb input.

5) Very susceptible to theft by thieving, lowlife,  work-shy scumbags..............sorry, I went off on one then.

Anyway I have now bought and installed a new Chinese Android 5.1.1 all singing all dancing unit.

( this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32G-Android-5-1-DVD-GPS-sat-nav-for-VW-PASSAT-Sharan-TIGUAN-TOURAN-CADDY-GOLF-T5/252435091954?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3D542e4340626b4042ba57e46888099440%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D252435091954 )

I chose this particular one because :-

1) It has a different layout (and bigger screen) than the usual replacement Columbus/RNS510 look alike units so less chance of being nicked, I hope.

2) It is Android and therefore it is easy to operate and there are zillions of apps you can install.

3) Built in wifi, bluetooth & can bus.

4) Shipped from UK with 2yr guarantee.

4) The real deal clincher...........a proper quadlock connector and dual aerial socket, so no extra adaptors or wiring to try and cram in behind the dash.

I have also bought an adaptor to directly plug in the original shark fin gps receiver instead of using the supplied little block (which by the way worked faultlessly blutacked inside the dash before the adaptor arrived).

All in all I am chuffed with this unit and it does more than the Columbus ever could for relatively peanuts money.

There are a few little things it won't do like the directions don't show on the maxidot, but the radio frequency does.

I have also found that there is a very low level sort of humming/buzzing noise when the unit is on and the side/headlights are turned on.

This is only noticeable when the engine is not running. It is so minimal you can't even hear it with the engine running.

First thing I tried was to put a ground wire from the units case to a good earth point behind the dash. No improvement.

I have tried various things as suggested by the manufacturer/seller who, by the way, have an absolutely brilliant customer services dept ( thanks Paul ), but in the end even they couldn't find a cure.

They offered to replace it with a different model, but could not guarantee that it would cure the problem, or a £15 refund as compensation. I took the refund and have ordered a 20A line filter to see if that works.

Now, a few questions that I hope some of you may be able to help me with:-

1) Any ideas about the hum/buzz when the lights are on? (bty - my car is fitted with HID xenon headlights but I wouldn't think they could cause any interference with only the side lights on. Maybe you know better?)

2) Do I need to disable/remove the original bluetooth unit to prevent any possible conflicts with the new unit?

3) Do I need to use vcds to recode/untick any modules that relate to the radio, navigation etc linked to the now removed Columbus?

4) Are there any can bus code changes needed?

5) Do I wire the line filter thing in the permanent or ignition switched supply?

There may be other changes I need to do that I haven't even thought about, so any suggestions will be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John.

Edited by jt57
  • Like 1

Yes. All the specs are in the listing on ebay (click the link in my post).

I have only included reference to the unit to illustrate what I have bought so if anybody else has the same unit they might be able to help with my questions.

I am so impressed with both the quality and function of it and the excellent customer service I recieved that I felt it only right to mention. 

Yes Chris_1d. All the specs are in the listing on ebay (click the link in my first post).

Iain.

Yes it will fit any car the Columbus will.

It fits exactly in my Superb 2 estate.

Maps are Igo8 but you can install any android GPS app you want.

Please click link in my first post for all details.

Edited by jt57

Yes , as just mentioned, does it display the names off the radio stations???  and could you put up some pics off it please?

Ive been looking at reviews on youtube and to be fair it does look a good piece of kit

chris-1d & SimonM4S ;- The maxidot displays the frequency but not the station name.

Not being funny or anything but all I wanted was some possible answers to my questions.

All I've had is questions about the units look and functions.

I bought the unit for the reasons in my post. I am not trying to promote it in any way.

Please read the description in the ebay listing and make your own descisions on whether it is suitable for you.

No more questions pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

So you want the community to help you but aren't prepared to answer some questions about a unit you physically have?

Seems fair

I have had this unit for just over a 2 weeks and the only problem I have had I put in my original post.

It is a perfect fit and everything works well.

Except for pictures, which I have no idea how to post, tell me, what questions haven't I answered?

My questions about can bus, original bluetooth etc, were aimed at members that may have a similar setup and if there was anything I should change to prevent any possible gremlins.

Up till now i have had no problems with conflict between the original bluetooth and the one built into the new unit, so I just connect to the new one.

Steering wheel controls worked straight away as did ac and parking sensor displays.

As I have said the full specs are in the ebay listing so you should find the answers to all your questions there.

Is that fair?

• Like 1

1) Any ideas about the hum/buzz when the lights are on? (bty - my car is fitted with HID xenon headlights but I wouldn't think they could cause any interference with only the side lights on. Maybe you know better?)

Probably due to bad quality control or design of the new headunit. You can check the unit it properly grounded but it's probably an internal component that has the issue. I assume you don't have a factory amplifier installed?

2) Do I need to disable/remove the original bluetooth unit to prevent any possible conflicts with the new unit?

I certainly would.

3) Do I need to use vcds to recode/untick any modules that relate to the radio, navigation etc linked to the now removed Columbus?

4) Are there any can bus code changes needed?

That's impossible to know, it'll depend how closely the Chinese unit replicates the CAN signals of a OEM unit. The supplier should be able to advise.

5) Do I wire the line filter thing in the permanent or ignition switched supply?

The standard wiring loom has two permanent lives, there is no switched live to the OEM unit. Assuming you haven't added a switched live you can use one line filter on both.

As I have said the full specs are in the ebay listing so you should find the answers to all your questions there.

Is that fair?

Just because a seller claims something, doesn't make it true ;)

There aren't any picture of the actual unit, it's most screen shots of it's UI and some seemingly computer generated images of the facia. It's always good to see what it actually looks like when in situ and how the screen actually looks. Many Chinese headunits have very generic advertisements and this is no exception. If you could take a few pictures it'll help give people a better idea of what the unit is like. There are a few ways to add both images and videos to a post as explained here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/277764-inserting-images-video-how-to/

Thanks for your reply langers2k.

I will, now I know how, get some pictures up when I get a chance.

In all honesty swmbo uses the car more than I do so I haven't had much chance to play with it yet. She is very pleased with it and finds it far easier to operate/negotiate than the Columbus.

Due to the android os she says that it is like using a big version of her mobile phone. So, needless to say, if she's happy......................................... 

I have this (or a very similar version) head unit. Been using it for around 3 months or so now. So I'll try and answer a few questions.

•The head unit is plug in and play. Took about 10 mins to fit (start to finish)

•Works with the maxidot so you open your door and it come up on the head unit too.

•Bluetooth works fantastically. If you have it pre fitted with your columbus then you need to forget this on your device and connect it to the new head unit (named mine VRS to make it easier to find.

•Hands free can be left behind the unit with no additional fitting of the speaker. had many conversations on the phone with no issues. People have asked where I got my hands free kit from it it that good. I haven't worked out how to store my phone numbers though.

•GPS antenna can also be stored behind the unit and works perfectly well.

•I use my mobile as a hotspot for the car. This way I can use Google maps that's installed on the head unit. You can use an offline version of maps if you want to. I find the way I use easier.

•Radio is crap. You will need a booster. Was easy to install, remember to connect the 2 aerial wires for it to work. Stations show up on the display even though it is not DAB (but you can get a DAB receiver for the unit)

•I've changed my start up menu from 'android' so the unit starts with a 'skoda' image.

•Head unit illumination matches the green dash. Took some playing with but easy to do. You can however go through the full colour spectrum do match your requirements.

•album covers on my music show. That's usung either of the 2 USB or the 2 micro memory card slots.

•DVD works perfectly

•Able to link up a reverse camera (I haven't done this yet)

•No hummING with HID as I have them fitted too

•looks OEM

•you will find pictures of mine on both the briskoda and the Skoda fabia vrs MK2 facebook pages.

Any other questions just ask.

Cheers

David

• Like 1

I have this (or a very similar version) head unit. Been using it for around 3 months or so now. So I'll try and answer a few questions.

•The head unit is plug in and play. Took about 10 mins to fit (start to finish)

•Works with the maxidot so you open your door and it come up on the head unit too.

•Bluetooth works fantastically. If you have it pre fitted with your columbus then you need to forget this on your device and connect it to the new head unit (named mine VRS to make it easier to find.

•Hands free can be left behind the unit with no additional fitting of the speaker. had many conversations on the phone with no issues. People have asked where I got my hands free kit from it it that good. I haven't worked out how to store my phone numbers though.

•GPS antenna can also be stored behind the unit and works perfectly well.

•I use my mobile as a hotspot for the car. This way I can use Google maps that's installed on the head unit. You can use an offline version of maps if you want to. I find the way I use easier.

•Radio is crap. You will need a booster. Was easy to install, remember to connect the 2 aerial wires for it to work. Stations show up on the display even though it is not DAB (but you can get a DAB receiver for the unit)

•I've changed my start up menu from 'android' so the unit starts with a 'skoda' image.

•Head unit illumination matches the green dash. Took some playing with but easy to do. You can however go through the full colour spectrum do match your requirements.

•album covers on my music show. That's usung either of the 2 USB or the 2 micro memory card slots.

•DVD works perfectly

•Able to link up a reverse camera (I haven't done this yet)

•No hummING with HID as I have them fitted too

•looks OEM

•you will find pictures of mine on both the briskoda and the Skoda fabia vrs MK2 facebook pages.

Any other questions just ask.

Cheers

David

This is the one I have

Pumpkin 8 Inch Quad Core Android 5.1 Lollipop Head Unit for Jetta Golf EOS Passat Polo Double Din In Dash HD Touch Screen Car DVD Player Stereo Support GPS Navigation Car Radio iPod Subwoofer AV-IN 1080P Multimedia System 3G WIFI CAM-IN OBD2 DAB+ https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D30XDXY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZqcgybK2TB8YA

Hi Guys,

On my Octavia 2 (2010) I don't have a multi-functional steering wheel.

Can buy a Octavia 3 (2013- 20xx) multi-functional steering wheel and make it work with any Chinese Android?

Cheers

Rob

Rob as long as it works with your current set up it should work no problem.

Dave

On my Octavia 2 (2010) I don't have a multi-functional steering wheel.

Can buy a Octavia 3 (2013- 20xx) multi-functional steering wheel and make it work with any Chinese Android? 

The buttons on a MK3 Octavia wheel aren't compatible with a MK2 Octavia.

Instead, find a MK2 FL Superb wheel as those buttons will work and it'll look identical. Also, you will probably need a new steering controller that supports a MFSW :)

• 1 month later...