smartlink not so smart

anst11

having trouble with my apple carplay/smartlink.

just won't connect. Getting worse as time goes on. plug my phone in and disconnects 3/4 seconds. keeps on re-trying to connect but nothing. It used to be every so often (about 1/20 tries) things didn't connect but now its every other time for sure. 

Have tried smartlink reset/and all apple cables are genuine. 

when i got the car from new it used to work fine but it seems it's getting worse. Needed satnav in London yesterday and couldn't use it. really beginning to annoy me.

any ideas on what to do from my end to help it out?

Otherweise it's going in for a service and I'll have to get them to have a look at it, for them to "find nothing wrong" and charge me lots most probably!

I must admit my Android auto is also troublesome sometimes, and it really doesn't like connecting if Bluetooth is turned on, you would've thought android auto/smart link would take over from Bluetooth automatically

I have two phones.

A nokia Lumia and iphone both connect via Bluetooth.

Favouring the iphone.

Once i connect iphone my Apple Car play takes over.

I have had the car two weeks and no majot issues with Apple play as yet.

Will always favour apple car play when pluged it and quickly switches to bluetooth when not.

Is your phone all up todate ?

i don't  use bluetooth always apple carplay.

Apple carplay is no longer taking over. all phone software etc up to date. 

had the car for just over 1 year and progressively getting worse. 

guess not many people have had similar issues. damnit.

I find it seems to sometimes depend on the order in which you turn on the ignition, radio, and switching to 'media' etc. I have it connected to Bluetooth as well - then at least you're covered either way.

I do not have smartlink myself

But just a thought, there has been an update to the iPhone OS in the past few days

Could it be that which is causing the problem?

my phone is all up to date (iphone 6s) and must admit, it's been an on/off situation since getting the car, just getting worse now. sometimes in a city I really do rely on the satnav from the phone and I can't connect. so frustrating. I can assume from my experiences and a couple of others - im not the only one. pretty poor from skoda. i'll see what they do to it on my service and report back

I find the Google Maps keeps feezing. Pressing the nav icon (bottom left) wakes it up again, but as you can't see the phone screen at the time, I'm not sure if the issue is with the phone (maybe out of signal?) the connector or the car unit

I've found it's got a lot worse recently, following recent updates to the Android Auto app on my phone. Spotify in particular has become as reliable as Southern Rail. Normally pulling the USB out and plugging it back in solves things, but that's still frustrating. Often the head unit will end up rebooting too.

For my commute, I'm mainly just using Bluetooth and my phone in a mount with Waze, primarily because I find Apple Maps so awful (and unreliable). I've had the issue where the map has just frozen for no reason. Bluetooth audio & nav from my phone means I can see what's being played on the central screen, and see my map on my phone's screen. Seems much more reliable. A shame given all the hype around CarPlay and Android Auto...

I've found it's got a lot worse recently, following recent updates to the Android Auto app on my phone. Spotify in particular has become as reliable as Southern Rail. Normally pulling the USB out and plugging it back in solves things, but that's still frustrating. Often the head unit will end up rebooting too.

i too have also found (i forgot to mention in my original post) that occasionally - not often - the unit will have a brain-fart and reboot. good point.

• 3 weeks later...

seems its very either/or for me.  sometimes the phone just connects/disconnects/connects so i end up unplugging it.    Other times it connects fine.  Apple maps seems reliable as does apple music, but Spotify is inconsistent, sometimes it responds to the head unit, other times you have to start it playing on the phone, the screen comes up on the dash, you select a song but it wont play.... very frustrating....

taken my car in to have this issue investigated and they cant find anything wrong. They've seen the video evidence I've shown them so they know its not right, but annoyingly, when i tried to demo the error to the technician it worked fine!

they are escalating it up to SKODA as a whole and are calling me back tmw. As I have stated I am not happy but also acknowledge they haven't found anything. Just a weird issue all round. I know i am not the only one so SKODA hopefully will help me out under warranty. 

I hope SKODA would,with no questions, just replace the head unit or retrofit a satnav (my primary need for phone connection) without a quibble - Can't imagine the SKODA service  will be that helpful but you never know!  

I've found that recent updates to Android Auto have improved things. But Spotify is still giving me trouble- one specific album is crashing the app, and the only way to get Spotify back is to unplug the phone, force close it within the application manager part of Android, open it back up again, play something different, and then you can plug it back in again. All of which is impossible to do while also driving. Annoyingly it does the same thing just playing it through my phone too. I've tried deleting it and re-downloading it, but it didn't help. 

Got the car back from the garage. They sent off my video footage of it not working to skoda and they suggested giving the head unit an update. They said it was out of date. They have done so and since doing it has been flawless and much quicker - not just with smartlink working ok, but response to touch seems to be quicker and instant when before I did have a split second of lag. Let's hope it's done finally.

vc-10 - haven't forgotton will get the software version and get back to you.

over a week or so into updated MIB unit and it works fine now (so far). sat nav not an issue at all. The only thing that does constantly screw up - SPOTIFY. just too buggy. its an app thing not a skoda/mib unit thing. just doesn't work that well end of. won't load sometimes etc but the rest now works fine - vast improvement. shame spotify sucks.

vc-10 - haven't forgotton will get the software version and get back to you.

over a week or so into updated MIB unit and it works fine now (so far). sat nav not an issue at all. The only thing that does constantly screw up - SPOTIFY. just too buggy. its an app thing not a skoda/mib unit thing. just doesn't work that well end of. won't load sometimes etc but the rest now works fine - vast improvement. shame spotify sucks.

Defo get onto Spotify about this. They should be sorting these sorts of bugs by now. Android Auto will only get more popular; they need to be on the ball with this.