Behind someone when their engine let go today

Nathanio

Was driving down the A27 today back home and a car engine (Pug 307 on foreign plates) let go spectacularly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I1ckiWQeBw&feature=youtu.be

The smoke cloud was so dense I couldn't see the car in front. He was only 10ft in front and all I could see was too very dim blinkers. Despite them being LED indicators!

The smell was horrific! I hope he got it recovered OK.

• Like 1

I once mis-shifted our old Peugeot 306 1.9 D on the motorway. The gear linkage had been worn for a while (perished rubber) and I'd been putting it off... went for 4th and it sure felt like 4th but was 2nd. Just one second of the clutch being up and the engine over-revved and wrecked itself. Kicked out a massive plume of smoke from the back.

But yeah that looks like it could have been the turbo that just pooed itself!

Dumper3.jpg

Believe it or not there is a 9 Tonne dumper in the middle of that. A few years ago one of the dumpers on a site I was working on blew its turbo seals and continued to diesel on its engine oil, once that ran out it went bang in a big way!

This is how it started

Dumper1.jpg

Edited by RampantBadger

Dumper3.jpg

Believe it or not there is a 9 Tonne dumper in the middle of that. A few years ago one of the dumpers on a site I was working on blew its turbo seals and continued to diesel on its engine oil, once that ran out it went bang in a big way!

Landrovers were known to do that if they were overfilled with oil.

I think it's a common issue with then and some other turbo engines.

I believe it; there was this one time on "Scrapheap Challenge" (I think actually the "Scrappie Races") when one team (probably the "Barley Pickers") managed a total runaway on a 10litre Cummins!

Andy from the Barley Pickers was adjusting the fuelling (to "Ludicrous", no doubt) when the nut just "came off in me 'and", and that was the end of that engine. But they found a bigger one to replace it, so there's that.

I missed that episode..

The engine suicide in the first video is nicely impressive though.

One of the vest ive seen was a train loco. It didnt crap itself, but when it pulled in at a station the loco fire supression system kicked itself off (for no reason) a lot of white fire retardant everywhere...

Andy from the Barley Pickers was adjusting the fuelling (to "Ludicrous", no doubt) when the nut just "came off in me 'and", and that was the end of that engine. But they found a bigger one to replace it, so there's that.

Well, you can't say that when he broke it it was anything but " a proper job"!! :D

• Like 1

A couple of weeks ago I was attempting to get to Reading on the A33 and had been stuck for ages because they'd closed the road up ahead. I was sat there and suddenly all I saw in my rear view mirror was clouds of smoke pouring from what I thought was my car, but I had no lights on the dash and as I pulled off I realised it was the top of the range Jag behind me! Had smoke bellowing from the engine bay and I felt bad for the people behind who would now be stuck there even longer!

Coming out of Bracknell a Transit blew past me pumping out thick black clouds of smoke. Not sure if it's the cold weather making things a bit smokey for diesels at the moment, but I remember thinking mine looked a little cloudy (at night, no street lighting)

Coming out of Bracknell a Transit blew past me pumping out thick black clouds of smoke. Not sure if it's the cold weather making things a bit smokey for diesels at the moment, but I remember thinking mine looked a little cloudy (at night, no street lighting)

Black smoke is excess fuel, and normally means worn injectors (and/or low revs full throttle on a mechanical injection turbo diesel). I have occasionally seen black smoke on remapped turbo petrols.

Black smoke is excess fuel, and normally means worn injectors (and/or low revs full throttle on a mechanical injection turbo diesel). I have occasionally seen black smoke on remapped turbo petrols.

You've got me worrying about my injectors now!