Damaged Zeniths - Bin or Fix?

OGvRS08

A few months back now i hit a pot hole/gully followed by a kerb which resulted in both passanger tyres written off and both alloys being damaged.

Needing the car back on the road i bought a complete set of wheels and tyres from a fellow forum member as it was cheaper and quick to do so than wait for my car to be fixed and have new tyres.

To try and recover my losses i have kept one of my original wheels and put it in the boot as the spare as it had a brand new tyre the week before the accident, and i have now sold the other wheel that was in good condition to yet another forum member, which leaves me with 2 alloys sitting in my office storage unit - but cant decide if they are worth the hassle and cost to fix with eyes to sell them or just scrap them?

Front Wheel

0df5f179b8.jpg

Back Wheel

0df64b3200.jpg

Edited by OGvRS08

That front would need new metal to restore the shape anyway. So the fix would be to melt it and re-cast!

it makes me think its not worth the time and expense to fix reading that.

I'd either sell them as damaged or for people to use as a spare in the boot.  Having said that, do they hold air?

no idea - as both tyres were written off i had them removed so i could see the damage and not done anything with them since.

id happily sell them to anyone who wants to take a punt on them as they are.

i know what they are worth if i scrapped them and i doubt id get much more if anyone did want them.

i cant a put a sale thread up as i havent been here long enough so keep an eye out on ebay!!

That front would need new metal to restore the shape anyway. So the fix would be to melt it and re-cast!

Not really, a good refurbisher will weld more material into the gouges then take it back to restore the profile.

Wont be a cheap refurb though.

Not really, a good refurbisher will weld more material into the gouges then take it back to restore the profile.

Wont be a cheap refurb though.

And will they then repeat any heat treatments the manufacturer used?

And will they then repeat any heat treatments the manufacturer used?

Clearly not, but you know that.    It's severe kerbing yes but still a cosmetic repair.

I've seen it done to good effect but on far more expensive wheels, in this instance it would probably cost more than the wheel is worth.

• 5 months later...
On 03/04/2017 at 19:35, TK699 said:

How did you get on?

Did you repair or get a new set? 

I'm in the same position myself, all be it one wheel needing a repair.

I had bought a complete set of news wheels and tyres from a member on here to get me back on the road. but i ended up keeping the best of the two that survived as my spare wheel, sold the other one another member who was looking for a spare and the two heavily damaged alloys were scrapped after speaking to a refurb company and the cost becoming to great to consider fixing.