Wiring front sidelights to ignition on?

JWvrs25

Just wondered if its possible to wire the front sidelights to the ignition so that they come on when the ignition is switched on

With the LED sidelight bulbs would add a bit of visibility sorta like drl's.

I dont mind switching them on manually everytime i get in but often forget to turn them off until the annoying beeping noise after you take the key out. Also dont want the taillights or numberplate lights on in the day

Anyone done something similar?

Wouldn't that be illegal and might fail the MOT?

Also would be difficult having only the sidelights come on without the taillights and plate lights.

Edited by TMB

well it would have to work as normal with the sidelight switch set to the on position, but i was wondering if i could wire just the front bulbs up to an ignition live

Maybe have to run another wire directly to the sidelight bulbs themselves and connect it to a fuse piggy thing, such as the wipers which are ignition live only. 

only problem then would be if the sidelight switch was activated would the flow of current already on the front bulbs cause a short or something??

Yeah ive looked at them, but they are for additionally installed LED DRL's which i dont want to use.

I wish to use my existing sidelights as DRLs but then also have them function in the same way as they would normally when the switch is turned on for them, or if the parking lights are turned on. 

I have attached a diagram i made to show what my thoughts were, I wasn't sure if i needed a diode in each circuit to make sure the two voltages dont damage each others circuits (if that makes sense)

digram%201_zpsnmitwsxp.png

Ok so ive just done some testing with the multimeter and worked out that i cannot have just the front sidelights on without chopping off the existing wiring. If you connect a 12v source to the back of the bulb holder the tail lights come on as well.

My thoughts now would be to wire the existing sidelight switch to an ignition switched live and just have the sidelights, tail lights and number plate lights come on whenever the ignition is on. Only thing is would the beeping noise come on every time i open the door or is there a way to bypass this?

Ok so ive just done some testing with the multimeter and worked out that i cannot have just the front sidelights on without chopping off the existing wiring. If you connect a 12v source to the back of the bulb holder the tail lights come on as well.

My thoughts now would be to wire the existing sidelight switch to an ignition switched live and just have the sidelights, tail lights and number plate lights come on whenever the ignition is on. Only thing is would the beeping noise come on every time i open the door or is there a way to bypass this?

I did exactly what you are proposing without any problem or beeping.

I also connected the sidelights to 2 front DRLs which I built into the lower 'so called driving lights', however these turned out to be very bright in darkness so I fitted 2 relays powered from the headlights to switch them off when the headlights are switched on.

DB

I did exactly what you are proposing without any problem or beeping.

I also connected the sidelights to 2 front DRLs which I built into the lower 'so called driving lights', however these turned out to be very bright in darkness so I fitted 2 relays powered from the headlights to switch them off when the headlights are switched on.

DB

How did you manage to bypass the headlight switch to have the sidelights on with ignition?

It's ages ago since I did it on both my cars.

I think I fed a LIVE - Red Wire - from the ignition switch through 2 diodes to connect a Live feed to GR/BL & GR/RE behind the Lighting Switch..

That's all I can remember.

DB.

If you use an eBay drl harness (will still work for normal halogen sidelights) and wire a diode into the front sidelight wires, then wire the drl kit output AFTER the diode it won't backfeed the circuit, meaning that the fronts will operate as you require

It's ages ago since I did it on both my cars.

I think I fed a LIVE - Red Wire - from the ignition switch through 2 diodes to connect a Live feed to GR/BL & GR/RE behind the Lighting Switch..

That's all I can remember.

DB.

Just been out to the car and checked those wires GR/BL and GR/RE and i linked each one to a live. Each side lit up as it should  (and no beeping!) so hopefully i can use those connections to link to an ignition live somewhere in the fusebox. If you can remember did you remove the connections from the sidelight swtich or just tap into them and connect em up?

Im just thinking if i removed them completely then i wouldn't have the parking light function for each side with the indicator stalk thing, and also the sidelights wouldn't come on without the ignition key turned on (MOT fail??)

Im guessing i would have to tap into them (scotchloks) and leave them connected to the switch, which i assume is where the diodes are required??

If you use an eBay drl harness (will still work for normal halogen sidelights) and wire a diode into the front sidelight wires, then wire the drl kit output AFTER the diode it won't backfeed the circuit, meaning that the fronts will operate as you require

didn't think of doing it that way - would i actually need the DRL harness or could i just use an ignition live feed from somewhere?

As far as i can see the DRL harness just controls the bulbs from battery voltage so basically doing the same job as the igniition switched live (and also the dimming function which wouldn't be necessary)

Just been out to the car and checked those wires GR/BL and GR/RE and i linked each one to a live. Each side lit up as it should  (and no beeping!) so hopefully i can use those connections to link to an ignition live somewhere in the fusebox. If you can remember did you remove the connections from the sidelight swtich or just tap into them and connect em up?

Im just thinking if i removed them completely then i wouldn't have the parking light function for each side with the indicator stalk thing, and also the sidelights wouldn't come on without the ignition key turned on (MOT fail??)

Im guessing i would have to tap into them (scotchloks) and leave them connected to the switch, which i assume is where the diodes are required??

I tapped into the wires, I pared a bit of the wire insulation off on the top side and just soldered direct to the wire and wrapped with insulation wire.

It's imperative to use the diodes to prevent any reverse current.

I still have the parking function OK and the sidelights work normally.

DB.

I tapped into the wires, I pared a bit of the wire insulation off on the top side and just soldered direct to the wire and wrapped with insulation wire.

It's imperative to use the diodes to prevent any reverse current.

I still have the parking function OK and the sidelights work normally.

DB.

So you put a diode on each part of the circuit, i.e one at the sidelight switch side, and one on the 12v ignition live feed?

As mentioned previously.

From a switched Live (red wire) on the ignition switch, I fed a single wire then split it into 2 wires, each split wire going to a diode, one diode connected to GR/BL the other diode to GR/RE behind the Lighting Switch.

Test which way you need to fit the diode prior to connecting.

So as to stop a reverse current going back to the ignition switch when the side/headlamp lights are switched from the side/headlamp switch.

I take no responsibility whatsoever from any damage you may cause to your own vehicle.

DB.

If you are installing for DRLs so folk can see you, then also connect the rears so folk can see you from the back, that's why I did mine.

DB

Edited by mogwye

If you are installing for DRLs so folk can see you, then also connect the rears so folk can see you from the back, that's why I did mine.

DB

that is a good idea, but the taillights are very dim so not really visible in daylight, suppose it would be a good idea for tunnels and under trees tho when it gets really dim.