ACTION REQUIRED letter

ejstubbs

I have this morning received the following re my 2010 Yeti TDi 140 4x4 (not DSG) from Skoda UK, in an envelope with both Skoda and Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency branding, and marked "ACTION REQUIRED":

30051881723_dc33f80db2_b.jpg30685759305_7538e76a0a_b.jpg

Note the statements in the second paragraph:

...I can confirm that there will be no change to your vehicle's engine performance, maximum torque or noise levels.  The performance data for your vehicle, including fuel consumption values and CO2 emissions, will also remain unchanged.

Anyone else had this letter yet?  Anyone had the work done?

You have to admire the way they make it look as official as possible with the DVSA branding, and the "ACTION REQUIRED" exhortation.  AFAIAA "action you might choose to take but we can't force you to" would be more accurate.

Also received in this mornings post.

I have called customer services regarding one concern:-

"...I can confirm that there will be no change to your vehicle's engine performance, maximum torque or noise levels."

I politely asked for the data to support the claims as the torque comment is not specific enough for me. Max torque may be unchanged but at/across what revs?

Technical are getting back to me, as Skoda UK hold no data. They are acting upon a go ahead from the factory.

Colin

• Like 2

Also received in this mornings post.

I have called customer services regarding one concern:-

"...I can confirm that there will be no change to your vehicle's engine performance, maximum torque or noise levels."

I politely asked for the data to support the claims as the torque comment is not specific enough for me. Max torque may be unchanged but at/across what revs?

Technical are getting back to me, as Skoda UK hold no data. They are acting upon a go ahead from the factory.

Colin

If they could actually produce that software, why didn't they do so in the first place?

• Like 1

If they could actually produce that software, why didn't they do so in the first place?

Didn't you read it all?!

To achieve this, we are using advances in diesel combustion technology which were not available at the time your vehicle was manufactured.

Riiiiight.  So are they saying that the fuel is better these days and has saved them, or that somehow they are now able to programme the engine better than they used to be able to, despite not changing any hardware?  Maybe they can now use 2s as well as 1s and 0s?

I too will be seeking precise information on how they can improve NOx without impacting any other running conditions.  Note how they state that maximum torque will be unaffected, but as picked up by eribaMotters, what does the torque curve look like now?  What about power?

And of course the published figures won't be changed, since these figures were fantasy figures that were never achievable anyway - they have simply made the car meet what they said it would meet - we have actually probably been having it better than it should have been and now it is 'fixed' it will deliver the published figures which, in the real world, will mean a drop compared to what we have become used to.

Didn't you read it all?!

To achieve this, we are using advances in diesel combustion technology which were not available at the time your vehicle was manufactured.

Riiiiight.  So are they saying that the fuel is better these days and has saved them, or that somehow they are now able to programme the engine better than they used to be able to, despite not changing any hardware?  Maybe they can now use 2s as well as 1s and 0s?

I too will be seeking precise information on how they can improve NOx without impacting any other running conditions.  Note how they state that maximum torque will be unaffected, but as picked up by eribaMotters, what does the torque curve look like now?  What about power?

And of course the published figures won't be changed, since these figures were fantasy figures that were never achievable anyway - they have simply made the car meet what they said it would meet - we have actually probably been having it better than it should have been and now it is 'fixed' it will deliver the published figures which, in the real world, will mean a drop compared to what we have become used to.

My brain glazes over when I see marketing (or management) speak. ;)

I got my letter this morning also. I was never bothered about this NOx emmissions scandal knowing very well that the car I was buying was one that was affected. I'm sure I've heard a few reports that this software update has badly affected some cars so I will wait a bit longer before deciding.

I wonder how long this recall will be available and if Skoda will chase owners who don't have it done. Also if your car has to go into the garage for other works to be done, will they do the update with or without your permission?

I got my letter this morning also. I was never bothered about this NOx emmissions scandal knowing very well that the car I was buying was one that was affected. I'm sure I've heard a few reports that this software update has badly affected some cars so I will wait a bit longer before deciding.

I wonder how long this recall will be available and if Skoda will chase owners who don't have it done. Also if your car has to go into the garage for other works to be done, will they do the update with or without your permission?

And if you don,t have it done are they going to say you have to have it done to get compensation if and when it arises 

• Like 1

".I can confirm that there will be no change to your vehicle's engine performance, maximum torque or noise levels."

But no mention of the fuel consumption !

The sentence " The performance data already published for your vehicle, including fuel consumption values and CO2 emissions, will also remain unchanged." 

can be read to mean that they are NOT retrospectively changing this data , which might have affected taxation etc. . It doesnt mean that the mpg, CO2 emissions will not be changed by the update.

Its what has NOT be said that is important !

• Like 2

Got the same letter today.

Anyone like to outline evidence of why one should not get this (free) work done?

I think it's more about the evidence why you 'should' get it done. I think the unequivocal evidence that you won't be left with a worse performing car has yet to be produced. Compounded further by anecdotal evidence of issues with Tiguans that have had the 'fix'. As has been said, if this is just a software 'tweak', why wasn't it done in the first place if the car's performance isn't adversely affected.

If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Got the same letter today.

Anyone like to outline evidence of why one should not get this (free) work done?

Volkswagen group decided that the compromises necessary to meet the emissions standards of the time were unacceptable to them and/or their customers, so they cheated on the test to 'bypass' those compromises.

They now need to meet those standards without cheating. If you think that the laws of thermodynamics have relaxed a bit in their favour in the meantime, there should be no problem in meeting the standards without compromising anything. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Load of nonsense it all is. My Roomster 1.2tsi had its first MOT last Friday and according to the print out at Fast idle CO was 0.00% and at Natural Idle Speed CO was 0.01%. I certainly am not adding to global warming

Thanks for the feedback so far.

It seems to me that getting the work done will stop further reminders and might help when I finally come to sell my (now) 7 year old Yeti.

However, obviously I do not want reduced performance or MPG. So, is their any actual evidence that these are adversely affected by the software modification?

Edited by finebone

Load of nonsense it all is. My Roomster 1.2tsi had its first MOT last Friday and according to the print out at Fast idle CO was 0.00% and at Natural Idle Speed CO was 0.01%. I certainly am not adding to global warming

CO and CO2  are entirely different molecules.  CO2 is unavoidably produced in direct proportion to the amount of (hydrocarbon) fuel burnt. CO is a poisonous result of incomplete combustion, almost totally eradicated with the coming of the catalytic converter.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

I also got the letter today. I can see no valid reason for accepting this change. Please convince me otherwise. I have travelled 22.5k miles of utter trouble free motoring in my Yeti. Probably one of the best cars I have ever owned (I have had BMW's too and still own a Z4! for sunny days you understand :devil:  :smirk: ).

The letter fills me full of cynicism. For example they mention Torque but not bhp - why? Noise? Never thought that could be an issue but now they mention it, maybe this has been an issue. Really? Got me digging around - Yes it can be an issue I find.

Don't trust them I say.

Do I worry about the DVLA - No, its not a compulsory recall. Do I worry about the MoT? - No, this is a NOx issue (as far as I Know) which is not measured in the Mot.

Convince me to have the changes done - please!!

OK its a (small) environmental issue but I refuse to shoulder the guilt of others who do not stand up and properly deal with the consequence of their actions.

JB

Edited by Jabberwock
  • Like 1

The Yeti section seems like the ideal place to find observant and well informed owners / drivers of Euro 5 emission TDI's that have the Defeat Device and that can have the fix done.

So if those that get it done have monitored fuel use during their ownership and know exactly how their vehicle performs they will hopefully be aware of any adverse issues or maybe 

even improvements in the efficient running and fuel economy of their vehicles.

A sort of 'suck it and see' trial.

If enough have the before and after anecdotal evidence then that might be better than the other stuff online and being published by people that nobody seems to know if they have even one of the vehicles involved in the VW Emissions scandal.

If anyone has 'The Fix', and is aware of no difference in their vehicles performance then hopefully they will share that as well.

Anecdotal Evidence seems to be what is required in the absence of the actual European Motoring Press and Journalists doing the testing 

or commissioning others to do it on the public's behalf.

Which, Autocar, What Car etc are usually there publishing lists and survey results on opinions and polls, 

with the VWG Emissions / Defeat Device and the result of The Fix on vehicles they are not so vocal.

(The power of the Advertising or the loss of that the worlds 2nd biggest car manufacturer has maybe.)

Edited by Offski

The fix is about nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions, not carbon dioxide (CO2) which is the main greenhouse gas emitted by internal combustion engines.  CO (carbon monoxide) is something different again: it is directly toxic (it binds to haemoglobin in the blood, preventing it from carrying oxygen around the body) but only indirectly a contributor to climate change.

So, it's good for people's health that your car's CO emissions are very low, but it's got nothing to do with the NOx fix and next to nothing to do with global warming.

I always think that it's wise to get adequately informed on a subject before accusing others of spouting nonsense.

• Like 3

The 'fix' doesn't affect me (although my youngest has just received the letter for his Yeti) but as an interested observer....

If the dealer carried out the fix while doing other work (but without the owner's go-ahead) how would the owner know? There is no new hardware to see and no software code to be seen by Mr Average Owner.
If there is then a performance related issue, the dealer could simply avoid the issue by saying it is related to some other factor.
My youngest has one of the last 2.0 diesels before the introduction of the Euro 6 and remains delighted with issue-free performance. He intends to wait (like a Mac update from El Capitan to Sierra) until there is a definitive error-free version of the fix before going ahead. Meanwhile, if his car has to go in to the dealer, he will insist on a signed statement from the dealer that the fix has not been applied.