Wrong radiator? 1.9 AWX Engine

My Mk1 Superb has been losing coolant lately,   I cannot see the exact place of the leak but everything points to it being the bottom corner of the rad.

I ordered a replacement radiator  from Amazon.  It arrived today  but it looks wrong to me.

there's an additional hole near to the bottom hose connector.    There are also other connectors at the other side of the rad  that seem to not apply to mine  but I'm not bothered about them.

The radiator is marked  "VALEO 231755  and  Amazon's compatibility tool suggested that it's the right part for my car.         3U Superb with AWX engine

here's the picture that Amazon show on their page. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/519X1X9ynuL.jpg

and here are photos that I took of the part when I opened the box today.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/GELad8baR2649BbTv7uK1MoYyBwMwleYVjNeWORjou6CCiRMHjcowd2bnB8q0LjFSg_ofciXihkYTuI=w1902-h860

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/UJ28OyFnBdXUla-XqEWdvTisbzbJQFih44fwpJPvmRZtYcsstig_J-Mg3CyI01eJ4drJiL6S4Mh1LWQ=w1920-h995

Do I need to send this part back?   I  don't know what that threaded hole is for.

Edit:  I tried to embed the photos in this post using the URL links but I get an error message  something like  "you cannot use that  image file extension"  beats me what that means

Edited by newanderthal

Can't see the googleus images - says they're 'forbidden':

'403. That’s an error.

Your client does not have permission to get URL /GELad8baR2649BbTv7uK1MoYyBwMwleYVjNeWORjou6CCiRMHjcowd2bnB8q0LjFSg_ofciXihkYTuI=w1902-h860 from this server. (Client IP address: 213.122.****)

Forbidden That’s all we know.'

Other connectors could be for auto transmission cooling pipes?

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI

Isn't the brass hole for the rad fan switch?  It look as if it's threaded for that.

I suspect the two on the right are for auto trans cooling, as V6TDI suggests.  If that is what they are they can be safely ignored. It might be a good idea to plug the holes, though this isn't necessary.

• Like 1

I bought a Nissens radiator.  This came with instructions that said you could ignore the auto transmission side (the two smaller holes) if you wanted to fix an auto radiator to a manual.  It also came with a plug and o-ring for the extra hole you have in the fitting kit.  Did yours not come with a plug / o-ring set?

Isn't the brass hole for the rad fan switch?  It look as if it's threaded for that.

I suspect the two on the right are for auto trans cooling, as V6TDI suggests.  If that is what they are they can be safely ignored. It might be a good idea to plug the holes, though this isn't necessary.

Yes, surely. 

There is no rad fan switch on these cars though to move over, so you have to plug the hole.  As I say, the Nissens comes with a plug and o-ring set.

There is no rad fan switch on these cars though to move over, so you have to plug the hole.  As I say, the Nissens comes with a plug and o-ring set.

I've just been out to check.....yes, you are right, the rad fan switch is mounted in the bottom radiator pipe, so a plug would certainly be needed.

Perhaps that radiator is used in multiple applications, some using a "normal" switch screwed into the rad end cap?

Probably.  The OP hasn't posted back so maybe he found the plug in the bag of fittings...

I can't remember if the OE Calsonic one I took out (made in the UK of all places!) had a plug or was moulded without.  If it had a plug then it could always be moved over (o-ring permitting).

The other thing I found with the Nissen was that the air deflecting trims which clipped onto the bottom of the radiator needed a little bit of fettling - it looks like when they were copying the radiator they didn't pay much attention to all the various plastic ridges around there.  One of them happens to be where those deflectors clipped onto.